How to decode JAV catalog numbers?

tonysin2k

Oct 15, 2008
Given my lack of time and aptitude, I know I'll never be fluent in Japanese. However, I have managed to learn kana well enough to be able to translate actresses' names on box covers (although their family name is usually in kanji, which defeats me), and recognize particular words like "gokkun" or "oppai" in kana.

My question is about JAV catalog numbers. The box covers displayed here on akiba almost always have a catalog number in romaji, for example MIGD-529, or PPPD-135. That makes them a lot easier to find online, if the links in the post are dead.

So here, at last, is my question: At the end of a lot of the movies, there are previews for other movies. Many of them give the catalog number of the movies being previewed in romaji, but sometimes they just have kana or kanji identifiers.

And I don't see anything in the kana that looks like a catalog number. And even when I look at a chart that shows what various numbers look like in kanji, I still don't see anything that looks like a catalog number.

It seems like they have to give the catalog number somewhere in the on-screen characters, because the whole idea of showing the preview is to get you to order the movie, but I can't see how to decode the identifier into a number. Can anyone tell me how to do it?

Thank you.