How do you make GIF from JAV movies?

ArgentGrace

Mar 31, 2010
I have seen people make GIFs from JAV movies?

Which program is popular, free and high quality (if any)?

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
I just use media player classic, which has an option to save thumbnails.

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
I use Photoshop. it's not free but well ... you know ... it's probably the easiest software to find free.

Reactions: needs more loli

needs more loli

Don't underestimate lolis!
Apr 30, 2015
Photoshop is also my primary method of making gifs. But my photoshop won't launch anymore since I got the Windows 10 anniversary update and I'm too lazy to reformat my PC, so I've been using gfycat. Use a free tool like Avidemux or VirtualDubMod to cut a short 15 second clip out of any JAV. Upload it to gfycat, after it's done converting click on the gear icon and select "open gif format"
upload_2016-10-2_18-1-16.png

Not the best quality but good enough I guess. You can get much better results with photoshop.
RadiantEnragedBoutu-size_restricted.gif

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
Ok I actually gave it a try, half-heartedly... or three-quater-heartedly...

I used a freeware(-ish) video converter to trim a section of an AV, it ended up being very long for a GIF (23 seconds), yeah it's my fault but I prowled ahead.

Then I opened it IrfanView which another freeware that can extract all frames from an MP4. BAM a 4.7 MB file became 691 BMP files of 1+ MB each. Yeah too many frames too many pixels... prowl ahead

I noticed the "action" happens only within about 40% of the frame, so I fire up the batch operation in IrfanView to crop off the 60% background, leaving me another batch of 691 files now 60% smaller. Right there I might should have had downsample the resolution too, but I didn't, prowling on.

Finally launch PhotoScape, drop the 691 files in there, adjust the frame rate to about the original, hit save, a few mins later, got a 34.3 MB GIF file which does play fine. Except of course GIF files are dithered.

Well that's very disappointing... Ok yeah I went overboard with the pixels... but 4.7MB to 34.3MB after cutting a lot of background and dithering, too much work not enough reward.

Fine, re-trim to about 12 seconds, drop 4 out of every 5 frames (using Explorer to search out all filenames ending in 1 and 6). Now we get a 4.1MB, still rather big file, but hopefully AO would allow it...

Still need trimming and maybe reduce resolution and maybe re-up the frame rate to make it more smooth-looking... But my half-to-three-quarter heart is long used up. Unless someone discover a much smoother operation (should be one single app) to read a 2-hr long vid and let me quickly experiment with trim, crop, down-frame-rate and down-sample, to generate animated GIF, I'm done with this silly exercise. GIF is so last century.
TAMM-013-posing.gif

Last edited:

needs more loli

Apr 30, 2015
Ok I actually gave it a try, half-heartedly... or three-quater-heartedly...

I used a freeware(-ish) video converter to trim a section of an AV, it ended up being very long for a GIF (23 seconds), yeah it's my fault but I prowled ahead.

Then I opened it IrfanView which another freeware that can extract all frames from an MP4. BAM a 4.7 MB file became 691 BMP files of 1+ MB each. Yeah too many frames too many pixels... prowl ahead

I noticed the "action" happens only within about 40% of the frame, so I fire up the batch operation in IrfanView to crop off the 60% background, leaving me another batch of 691 files now 60% smaller. Right there I might should have had downsample the resolution too, but I didn't, prowling on.

Finally launch PhotoScape, drop the 691 files in there, adjust the frame rate to about the original, hit save, a few mins later, got a 34.3 MB GIF file which does play fine. Except of course GIF files are dithered.

Well that's very disappointing... Ok yeah I went overboard with the pixels... but 4.7MB to 34.3MB after cutting a lot of background and dithering, too much work not enough reward.

Fine, re-trim to about 12 seconds, drop 4 out of every 5 frames (using Explorer to search out all filenames ending in 1 and 6). Now we get a 4.1MB, still rather big file, but hopefully AO would allow it...

Still need trimming and maybe reduce resolution and maybe re-up the frame rate to make it more smooth-looking... But my half-to-three-quarter heart is long used up. Unless someone discover a much smoother operation (should be one single app) to read a 2-hr long vid and let me quickly experiment with trim, crop, down-frame-rate and down-sample, to generate animated GIF, I'm done with this silly exercise. GIF is so last century.

View attachment 792077
This is exactly what I hate about making gifs. I like making mine as high quality as possible but in order to share it I have to make the file size reasonable. By the time I've reduced my gif to 128 colors, increased the compression and dropped a every other frame it looks like garbage.

Can forums just support webm already jeez.
Am I the only one annoyed that such an inefficient format is so widely used for sharing "video" on the internet, especially when a vastly better option exists?

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
Am I the only one annoyed that such an inefficient format is so widely used for sharing "video" on the internet, especially when a vastly better option exists?

It's a pain in the ass for sure. I see very often gfycat on reddit but I never used it. It seems to be really faster. Plus, with VLC, there is a record button. I will try it next time if I don't forget.

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
Groaning ain't gonna help! Some may prefer to look upon GIFs as dinosaurs, but their roar is as alive as ever.

Years have passed since I had a GIF program which required individual frames to be extracted. Not long ago, I decided on creating a GIF on a whim; Zen10101 had prepared several now and then (I kinda admired him for doing so. EDIT: An example, per "Spoiler"), and I thought, let me give it a try.

But I just wanted to do it 1-2-3. None of the mumbo-jumbo recommended so far, for me!

All I did was search to see if there was an easy program that might enable me to forge ahead... and then I discovered there were snappy sites willing to go through the process automatically. (Wheeeee!)

The main problem was to extract the video clip. I have video editing programs, but I didn't even feel like opening up any of those (probably I sensed the file size would be too large).

I have a freeware program called "Any Video Converter," and I thought I'd give their "clip" function a whirl. (You drag and drop the movie into the program, and take note of the four little icons to the right of where the video was dropped, ending with a "+" or "Plus" sign, and beginning with "Convert this item now!" ... which may be read once you hover your mouse over the icon. Click on the second "scissors" icon, which is "Clip this item.")

(Admittedly, I had to try clipping several times, because the program wasn't exact. If you don't like it, feel free to use a more professional video-editing program.)

Once I had the clip, I dragged and dropped it into the web page of these sites, which I tinkered with:

https://giphy.com/create/gifmaker
http://ezgif.com/video-to-gif

Now this will take a while (it wasn't as 1-2-3 as I would have liked), only because I had to figure out the nooks and crannies ... but it wasn't hard. I was mainly interested in getting that file size as small as possible, without losing the quality too much. I liked especially the "cropping" option, which enabled me to also get rid of that beautiful yellow 'three lines' watermark we have all come to know and love.

(By the way, I'm seeing other sites that promise a similar service; they are:

https://makeagif.com/video-to-gif
http://imgur.com/vidgif

https://imgflip.com/gifgenerator )

So I wound up with a GIF that was less than 800 kb in size, and looked acceptable enough; I posted it here, and I'll reproduce it below. (I'm ... so proud of it. Sniff!)

JUX-794  ezgif.com-video-to-gif.gif
JUX-794

Last edited:

needs more loli

Apr 30, 2015
Your method doesn't sound any more easier than mine lol.

The fact of the matter is that creating a gif comprises of the following steps:
1. trim out a section of a movie
2. import / upload that section to some kind of software that can convert it
3. (optional step but an often required one..) play with a variety of settings (colors, compression, resolution, duration, frame rate, etc) to output a balance of quality and file size.

None of this changes the fact that gif is a terribly inefficient format. Hopefully discussing this can either lead to webm support on AO or someone posting a way to embed them using some kind of hack/workaround.

Has anyone ever browsed 4chan's gif board? The 99% of the "gifs" posted there are actually high quality webm videos, some with durations of several minutes and with sound. Imagine being able to share the best part of your favorite scene versus just posting a choppy 3 second loop.

Here's a JAV thread I found. Check it out and tell me that webm is not a vastly superior format and that gif should just die already.

supersam

Loves Bukkake, Loves Long Tongues & Loves Gokkun!!
Jul 13, 2009
Your method doesn't sound any more easier than mine lol.

The fact of the matter is that creating a gif comprises of the following steps:
1. trim out a section of a movie
2. import / upload that section to some kind of software that can convert it
3. (optional step but an often required one..) play with a variety of settings (colors, compression, resolution, duration, frame rate, etc) to output a balance of quality and file size.

None of this changes the fact that gif is a terribly inefficient format. Hopefully discussing this can either lead to webm support on AO or someone posting a way to embed them using some kind of hack/workaround.

Has anyone ever browsed 4chan's gif board? The 99% of the "gifs" posted there are actually high quality webm videos, some with durations of several minutes and with sound. Imagine being able to share the best part of your favorite scene versus just posting a choppy 3 second loop.

Here's a JAV thread I found. Check it out and tell me that webm is not a vastly superior format and that gif should just die already.

Webm would be amazing if somehow it could be incorporated here, it's so much better than Gif.

Is it possible to get webm working here?

Reactions: needs more loli

needs more loli

Apr 30, 2015
Webm would be amazing if somehow it could be incorporated here, it's so much better than Gif.

Is it possible to get webm working here?
I wish I knew. I've tried a variety of methods and unfortunately none work. :(

Hopefully someone more hacker savvy than me can figure it out.

kharo88

Akiba Citizen
Sep 13, 2015
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Instagiffer so far. It is very simple and easy to use (I mean, if I can do it, anyone can!), and you have the option to either load the video (which may take a while depending on the video's size) either from the internet (like YouTube vids) or from a local drive, or you can just use screen capture (which is totally adjustable). You can delete individual frames, set quality, playback rate etc. I highly recommend it!

Reactions: ding73ding and mago

barba

we all make mistakes
Jun 6, 2007
a few years back, were not gifs and other exotic avatars blamed for crashing A-O and keeping it out of commission for quite some time?

perhaps my memory has the wrong codec.

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Instagiffer so far. It is very simple and easy to use
Ahh yes, that's it! That's exactly what I asked for. One stop shop. All the controls are sensible, only I would ask for a predictor of final file size, but it's not too painful to test it out by creating the GIF (finding it to be too large) and re-tuning the parameters and rinse and repeat.

GVG-369-beep2.gif
I might even use it in my real job.

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
I trim movie clips using VLC player, then upload using http://giphy.com/upload to convert it and, hey presto, it's done! :D Only problem is giphy.com only works with the mp4 format which can limit the movies available somewhat. :(

Also, ding73ding, you can see i managed to get the TAMM-013 gif working. That is what you were talking about right?
You need to give instagiffer a try, one program does it all, loads a full length vid, use the not-too-clunky controls to find the start point and duration, crop, down-sample, down-fps all on one simple UI, plus a few not-super-useful filters available in another dialog, click create and see how good the result is (quality and size).

Big advantage over your VLC+giphy is it's one stop, no intermediate file(s) and works completely offline. And I bet it works on any vid file that your PC has a codec for.

Ahh... yes fantastic my first try I was messing with the tech and missed the actual best clip of the vid. Thanks for doing it! Makes me want to go out and hire a model for a session.

Last edited:
Reactions: Motiman

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
I have just noticed the triple-GIF trouble that Motiman has gone through in a recent post of his. Very impressive... all of that work for just one post.

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007
You need to give instagiffer a try, one program does it all, loads a full length vid, use the not-too-clunky controls to find the start point and duration, crop, down-sample, down-fps all on one simple UI, plus a few not-super-useful filters available in another dialog, click create and see how good the result is (quality and size).

Big advantage over your VLC+giphy is it's one stop, no intermediate file(s) and works completely offline. And I bet it works on any vid file that your PC has a codec for.

Ahh... yes fantastic my first try I was messing with the tech and missed the actual best clip of the vid. Thanks for doing it! Makes me want to go out and hire a model for a session.

Will definitely give it a try. Thanks for the suggestion ding!

Motiman

Akiba Citizen
Oct 30, 2007

Instagiffer worked a treat! Thanks ding, it's definitely the much easier option.