Going to Japan

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

IanW

Apr 4, 2007
Many gaijin will be headed for Japan in the 2nd half of August, as the 65th annual World Science Fiction convention (Worldcon) is being held in Yokohama this year from August 30th to September 3rd.
These dates tie in very nicely with Comiket 72, being held August 17th-19th in Tokyo.

Worldcon info here.
Comiket info here.

Seishin

Jun 15, 2007
Hi,
I really would like to fly to Japan more often, but here in Europe the prices for a flight to Japan are so high. Does anybody has an idea, where or how to buy cheap tickets to Japan?
That would be a great help.
Thanks!

Chris
i was last month in japan and looked a lot after flights
think the cheapest flight i saw was with a rusian airline ...^^
i took emirates...so from europe to dubai and then osaka
17 hours flight and you pay so 600-700 euros

qatar airways should be cheap, too ( i heard from someone who work for a airline...)

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
I'm off to Japan in 9 days.

Gonna be staying in tokyo for a while, but also gonna be backpacking (somewhat) around japan staying in hostels.

Anyone got any experience of booking in advance vs. turning up?

I don't wanna be in too many "no room sorry" scenarios where I have to sleep on a bench...

Gaiarth

Jan 9, 2007
Never used the actual Youth Hostels in Japan, but I should think you would be ok in most cases just turning up there.

If you are looking to stay more in Minshuku, I've always been told it's good form to phone up and enquire whether they have a vacancy rather than turn up at the door and ask. Even if it's from a phonebox just down the road, 5 minutes before you turn up. And, at least if there are a few in the area, it saves you tramping round them until you find the one with the vacancy. Most of the time I've booked well in advance though, because I've pretty much known what I was doing/where I was going.

Business hotels, you just walk right in and ask, I don't think I've ever been to one that was full. In a big town, worse comes to worse, all-night rates in Love Hotels can be comparable to those of Business Hotels, and it's certainly a more interesting place to stay the night.

Sleeping out, this time of year it's not the weather that will bother you (unless it's the lack of air-con) but the damn insects! In smaller places bus shelters can be a handy place to tuck yourself away. Don't try train station benches though, they tend not to turn the lights off and attract those damn insects! (Yes, I dislike the insects of the Japanese summer. I seem to attract the ones that bite from miles around, and the ones that don't bite are just plain noisy.)

If you don't already have it, I really recommend the Lonely Planet guidebook. They have some good stuff on more out-of-the-way places.

Oh, and I always take my time in Tokyo at the end of the trip. But that's because I have no willpower, and wouldn't be able to stop myself loading up with goodies I'd have to carry round the country for the rest of the time...

gaijindavid

Jan 6, 2007
For a really cheap place to sleep inside, lots of karaoke boxes charge a low (around 1000-2000 yen) fee from midnight till first train. (I lived in Osaka, not Tokyo, but I am guessing it would be the same.) It's not quiet but the benches are padded and you can turn off the sound in your own room, at least.

And I slept on quite a few benches/sidewalks in my younger days in Japan. Talking to the homeless guys was actually kind of fun. They inevitably offered me sake.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Thankfully you're avoiding Golden Week (a week of 4-days worth of national holidays, where tourists and japanese residents are traveling for the festivities).

Hostels are not a problem, and actually are so popular that there's quite a wide range of selection. In Tokyo, try Oak Hotel, which provides private single rooms with ensuite bathrooms, free in-room internet, and is a 10min walk from Ueno. No breakfast, but the hostel is one block from a McDonald's (and Yoshinoya!). Booking available online (¥4500-6000).

Depending on where else you want to go there are plenty of options. It's true that you can basically show up in most business-type hotels with no problem in getting a room, but beware that some places may only have large rooms left, and will charge accordingly for the "extra" space. And while you're still technically avoiding Golden Week, I would still advise booking ahead.

But you don't need to worry. Worst case scenario, you can always check into a capsule hotel (which always has availability) for a night (¥2000-3000). gaijindavid's suggestion is also another safety-net, though in Tokyo you should look more for manga cafe's for the overnight stay (¥1000-2000).

If you don't already have it, I really recommend the Lonely Planet guidebook. They have some good stuff on more out-of-the-way places.

Be careful with the Lonely Planet guide (unless they very recently updated it). I found that some of the listings (business hours and locations) was out-of-date, and wasn't able to see a number of things. If you want a second opinion, I suggest you get the Rough Guide: Japan, and then city-based guides from other publishers for the cities you visit. I used to be a LP loyalist, but I always carry at least two guides with me, and for my time in Japan, the Rough Guide proved to be more consistent/informative. However, the LP city guides (Tokyo, Kyoto, etc) are very good.

Oh, and I always take my time in Tokyo at the end of the trip. But that's because I have no willpower, and wouldn't be able to stop myself loading up with goodies I'd have to carry round the country for the rest of the time...

Seconded. You may also consider bringing just one suitcase of necessities, and then buying a second suitcase in Japan for goodies. Bag shops are everywhere.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
You may also consider bringing just one suitcase of necessities, and then buying a second suitcase in Japan for goodies. Bag shops are everywhere.
I did that last time. Tipped me over my luggage allowance (by around 120%) so they wouldn't let me on the plane until i got rid of one of my bags. I fed-ex'd it home (for an extortionate fee, though much less than the fee they were asking for extra baggage allowance, which was equal to another ticket)

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
.....so they wouldn't let me on the plane until i got rid of one of my bags......

Yea Chompy I feel that!! I had the same problem, but luckily I managed to do some serious 'seam-busting' cram-packing into my hand luggage. Also verballed my way into taking 2 items for hand luggage...

Wonderful country eh Chompy?

I wonder if you'll consider starting a thread giving your...... Akiban subjects a run-down of your favourite parts of your visit. I'd be interested in sharing since I got back just 2 months ago and miss it DEARLY!!

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Yea Chompy I feel that!! I had the same problem, but luckily I managed to do some serious 'seam-busting' cram-packing into my hand luggage. Also verballed my way into taking 2 items for hand luggage...

Wonderful country eh Chompy?

I wonder if you'll consider starting a thread giving your...... Akiban subjects a run-down of your favourite parts of your visit. I'd be interested in sharing since I got back just 2 months ago and miss it DEARLY!!
I got back less than a month ago and I sympathise. Returning to the "real world" is like someone suddenly turned the gravity back on... now all I want to do is escape back.

As for places to visit, I spent an entire month just travelling the country by shinkansen (and local train when the shinkansen was closed due to the typhoon) and would recommend just about everywhere I went. I'm not one for researching much, but I was lucky to stumble into a whole host of festivals, from giant floats in Kyoto's main shopping district to riverside flaming boats in Osaka and a massive fireworks display in Takashimadaira and a Brazilian samba carnival in Asakusa. I scarecely missed the anniversary of the Hiroshima A-bomb, though I was there for the anniversary last year (quite a disturbing side of the Japanese psyche in my opinion, the way they martyr themselves over it as helpless innocent victims of a barbaric world, yet deny Nanking)

During August I didn't leave Tokyo at all (my rail pass was well expired by then) and stayed in Takashimadaira (great place. very residential) but I probably spent more time in Akiba than anywhere else, mulling between there and Ueno park in the summer sun is a pretty nice way to spend your days. I especially like the junk shops in the back streets (indespensible when my laptop decided to die)

It's worth it if you make the trip to Fukuoka and Kyushu in general. Nice place, very modern with a good coastline, particularly if you like fishing (though if you're just in Japan to see temples and shrines, then it's pretty much a dry spot)

Next time I wanna see Okinawa and Hokkaido.

mrboldy

Jun 11, 2007
i have a few questions. How old are majority of you? Do majority of you guys know Japanese? if not how do u guys manage to live in japan for such a long time? r there people that speaks English? xD also is it worth it taking the tour to japan or going by youself?

ASSASSIN27

ASSASSIN27
Sep 29, 2007
Kickin it in Japan

I've been living back and forth from Japan to Korea for about the last 3 years. If you need to know anything about Tokyo I can help out (Mostly Shibuya & Shinjuki as that's where my home's have been). My girlfriend can speak fluent Korean, Japanese, and pretty good English so if you need help with translating no problem there. She love's talking with foreigners. Anyways, anyone need help just hit me up. Peace out.

indreamsiwalk

with you...
Apr 8, 2007
Is there a way to take a boat to japan? I don't like to fly.

From where? It's easy to take a ferry from Korea (and I suppose China, too), but from the Americas or Europe? I've never heard of it, except of course for luxury cruises, but they cost a fortune, and you would probably only be in Japan for a day or two.

I think it would be a good idea to overcome your fear of lying. I know there are methods for that. Try searching for "fear of flying" on Amazon.com. I'm sure there are books on the subject. And it's still the safest way to travel. :goodboy:

Gaiarth

Jan 9, 2007
From Europe it's possible to get to Japan without flying, but it would take forever. You have to get to Moscow by whatever means (car/train), take the Trans-Siberian Express to Vladivostok and then a ferry to Japan. Takes about 9 days (plus however long it takes you to get to Moscow from where you are). Alternatively, you can arrive at Beijing and make your way down to Shanghai and take a ferry from there (if you wanted to see a bit of China too).

Luckily for me, I'm quite happy to fly, and even the 12 hours from London to Tokyo seems too long to me :)

Volcan

Master of the Mountain
Apr 16, 2007
From California. It's not some irrational fear. You'd never know it to look at me, I don't sweat or anything, I just don't trust planes. I'm not so worried about time since if I go it'll be for an extended period.

shujin

Thats Dr. Shujin to you..
Nov 29, 2006
... Do majority of you guys know Japanese? if not how do u guys manage to live in japan for such a long time? r there people that speaks English? xD also is it worth it taking the tour to japan or going by youself?

I should think a fair number of members here speak Japanese, at various levels.

I personally arrived here 2 1/2 years or so ago speaking no Japanese. I've since become pretty much fluent, thanks to good basics at my university's language department and the fact that I made some good friends early on. Luckily, they weren't just interested in me for the novelty of having a foreign friend; which is a problem for some people as they wont get stern corrections on their Japanese.

I personally think its possible to get by with very little Japanese, depending what exactly you want to do.

Most Japanese people "understand" English, especially the younger set, as they study it in school, but getting them to speak it can be like pulling teeth, as they are a shy people and self-conscious about their lack of skill in English.

As far as taking tours or going solo, it all depends on how much "adventure" you want. And by adventure, I mean hardship. Going on a tour will most likely mean lots of things will be taken care of for you. This can be especially helpful if you plan to venture away from major urban areas, as English will become less and less useful.

Is there a way to take a boat to japan? I don't like to fly.

As for taking a ship, I don't think I've ever heard of one. A quick Google search didn't turn up anything, so maybe ask a travel agent. On the other hand, I don't see why you can trust a boat any more than a plane. Bad things can happen either way regardless.

atomicxxx

Mar 12, 2008
I also want to go to Japan. How can you backpack for 3 months? I just graduated college and I need a visa just to go to Japan, let alone stay for 3 months. I'm from Manila and I was wondering what kinds of jobs I could apply for in Japan.