Fuck this placeeeeeeee

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Ok that's it, fuck this place. I'm moving back to Canada.

Just got smoked in the ass by another M7.8 quake with a 1-2meter tsunami incoming to Miyagi prefecture. FUCK THIS. (some stations are reporting 7.8, some are reporting 7.3, either way, IT'S A FRICKING SEVEN!)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
2 meter tsunamis on the way. The Miyagi Prefecture coastal area is being evacuated. The guy on NHK radio was practically yelling at us to run away to high ground or tall buildings.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Ok that's it, fuck this place. I'm moving back to Canada.

Please, not Canada, don't punish yourself. Surely you don't miss the moose, (what is the plural of moose? meese? mooses?), and snow that much? You could always try Australia...if your desperate, or maybe even Fiji?

Seriously though, my prayers are with you and I hope you and yours remain safe throughout this crisis.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
News On Japan via Reuters -- Dec 08

The U.N. atomic agency said it had been informed by Japanese authorities that no problems had been detected at nuclear power plants in the region nearest to the epicenter of Friday's earthquake.

A 7.3 magnitude quake centered off northeastern Japan shook buildings as far away as Tokyo and triggered a one-meter tsunami in an area devastated by last year's Fukushima disaster, but there were no reports of deaths or serious damage.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/12/07/us-nuclear-japan-iaea-idUSBRE8B60M620121207

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
17:58 TEPCO has officially announced the Fukushima nuclear plant is no longer crippled due to the latest quake.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Earthquakes are temporary.

Come on, Aqua. This wasn't that bad. :stop:
I was in a bar in Akasaka (Beer Horn). The place did the shimmy for 30 seconds. That was it. No beers spilled, no glasses toppled. Oh - and no panic from anybody working there.
Mellow out. :shake:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Come on, Aqua. This wasn't that bad. :stop:
I was in a bar in Akasaka (Beer Horn). The place did the shimmy for 30 seconds. That was it. No beers spilled, no glasses toppled. Oh - and no panic from anybody working there.
Mellow out. :shake:

So says the tourist ;)

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
X.x

I heard it first here.
Checking TV now.

...This is getting more frequent.
Bigger qaukes and tsunamis.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
and yet another one, 5 minutes ago, but it's still shaking.
don't know anything about epicenter or magnitude though

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
It was M4.4 right off the South-Eastern most tip of Chiba. I get all my alerts through my buddy at NHK and then cross-ref with Namazu.

ishiibrad

Jan 4, 2007
I live in Shikoku for that reason. The mountains,beaches and very few quakes. I do hope you`re all ok up there though !

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Thanks mate, much appreciated. We're still here and my building is still standing. I would have expected the taller the building, the more prone to shaking it is but such is not the case. In fact, from my experience (and most likely judging on when the building was actually built), the shorter ones suck a LOT more than the taller towers.

2004: Moved into my first place, a 2-floor house in Tama Plaza, Yokohama. A small M3-4 shook the FUCK out of that place. (Built in the 1970's)
2008: Moved to the 9th floor of a 10 floor apartment. Shook pretty good but less than the house. I wasn't at home during the 'big one' so I can't comment on how it felt but the aftershocks for days shoot the hell out of that places. (Built in the 1980's)
2010: Moved to the 7th floor of a 12-floor apartment - this fucker shook, rattled and rolled. (built in the late 80's)
2012: Moved to my latest incarnation of a studio/apartment mix. Currently on the 24th floor in a 32-floor building. Had several shakers, even that biggish one a couple weeks back (M7). Sadly I wasn't home for that one (was on a train that had already stopped) but out of all the quakes this year, I've only felt one. The only reason I could feel it is I was in a completely relaxed state, no movement, just sitting there vegging out while looking out across the city and rivers (can see two rivers from the window). Not terrible at all. (built in the early '00s)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Sure I did. I just didn't move anywhere in 2011.

2010: Moved to the 7th floor of a 12-floor apartment - this fucker shook, rattled and rolled. (built in the late 80's)

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Awkward but thanks? :)

Sofer

Nov 18, 2009
Biggest qauke i ever knew from where i live.
Was around 2,3 on the scala.

I was sound asleep and nothing happened at all.

The worst that can happen here are slight chances of flooding. If you live close to one of the main rivers/ lakes. If you live in "risk" areas.. you can get a "flooding of the century" now each year. This year seems most likely for yet another go~

...:scared:
More frequent small ones are either a relaxation and prevention of bigger ones.. or the ringing of a really big one.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
If you have never been in an earthquake they are scary as hell. There is a reason they don't last long...the fucking world would split in two, (it would sure feel that way). I have only felt some small ones and aftershocks from some further away but that was enough for me. When shit starts moving by itself...including you, then a little panic seems reasonable. I can't imagine living in a place where that is common place...and I used to live in LA.

tylersailer

Jan 24, 2011
Hi there. Me as a resident in Japan I am kind of used to earthquakes so the one that scared hell out of Aquamarine was like, oh well what again... Not too good to be accustomed to the dangers I think. They can kill me next time. Protect ya neck!