Font size and color a no no?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
I received a infraction today from a mod for posting my posts in a font this size and in basically this color.
Why is this against board policy and where does it state this?
I have kidney disease and along with the medication to deal with it my eyesight is dwindling rapidly.

I use the black template and the number 3 font and turquoise color as it is easy to read and looks good in the dark template.
If I continue to use this font and color will I be banned?

I see other posts made by other members in other colors that may look good in the light templates, but I have to highlight them in the dark template to read them and to me that is not a problem to do.
Is it hard for the light template users to highlight if the colors I choose don't show up?

What about font styles also, are they to be Ariel black and that's it?
Bold font? Italicized font?, etc...
I'm confused as to why I'm on the road to being banned and I haven't violated any rules and possibly only violated someones own personal preferences.

Why not let me use them, and if you, the reader don't like it then please pass my posts on by. You may be better off in doing so anyway... :nosepick:

Can I get an official ruling on this? Thank you.
Aqua

bpx

Sep 19, 2009
I don't quite understand why staff reacts that way (with an infraction) but it's a fact that it's harder to read than the normal default settings. I saw your post and after a few seconds I stopped reading as it was simply almost impossible to read.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Well, it's not in the rules per se (which you can read here: http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=5)

Though if you check out rule 7, you can see how it could apply to giant pale blue text. I myself use the blue template but I'm pretty sure the mod who gave you your infraction uses the dark template.

I'd be interested to know what other members' opinions are on this matter though.

Is this necessarily any more or less legible than this? I think it's a matter of opinion.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Actually I didn't mean to issue an infraction to you, Aqua. Just a 'Warning'. Unfortunately A-O software doesn't allow staff to issue a 'Warning' with a custom reason, only an infraction. I'll remove it from your account.

You asked me why the infraction was so sudden, but I did ask you previously: I edited out the color and size tags from two of your previous posts and provided a reason. Maybe you missed that, although you did re-add the color and size tags to my most recent edit.

Chompy's dark blue is almost illegible over the "Dark" theme, but you weren't using an illegible color. The reason I asked you to stop is because large font-sizes and loud colors are the equivalent of TYPING IN ALL CAPS. Just like I'm doing in this post. It's fine when used for emphasis, but annoying when ALL of your posts are like that. If you have a hard time reading, I don't see why you can't use your browser's zoom function, or reduce your monitor's resolution.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
this fairly is hard to read, font color is way too brightly.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Another problem is that people are already starting to pick up on the habit. A-O will eventually turn into a rainbow splash of multicolor posts competing for attention.

By the way, somewhat related: for those people that want to highlight some text, it's better to use the [noparse][highlight][/highlight][/noparse] tags than to use a custom color tag. The former are guaranteed to look right in all of A-O's themes, the latter are not.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
Another problem is that people are already starting to pick up on the habit. A-O will eventually turn into a rainbow splash of multicolor posts competing for attention.
Kewl!..er...Grooovy Baaaaby! :nou:

The options are available to us so why not individualize one posts. My plan is to use the same font and color for an added little signature effect along with the easy reading. As you can see I went to a darker shade and checked all the skins to check for visual clarity and it looks great.

I tell you what, I will use the bigger font which is one size up from default, and use Comic sans font and the shade of blue that this post is in. I will use the enlarge feature so I can read others posts too.

I think a "rainbow splash of multicolor posts competing for attention" is far less aggravating then a "mud slinging barrage of ego infested posts competing for attention".

If you want to see color overload that looks fabulous come visit my profile page....:dizzy: http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/member.php?u=96321

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I tell you what, I won't use the bigger font, but use Comic sans font and the shade of blue that this post is in. That's meeting you half way.
No... That's even more garish. Stick with the normal color, which doesn't cause ocular bleeding. If you want to use comic sans that's up to you... but it's a lot less readable than the default.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
No... That's even more garish. Stick with the normal color, which doesn't cause ocular bleeding. If you want to use comic sans that's up to you... but it's certainly less readable than the default.
So by no to color change you are speaking to all posters who use different colors besides default?
How fair is it I have to comply if others don't?
I think this topic needs to be dealt with further.
This post is one font bigger and color is default. I will settle for that until a firm decision is made on this issue.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Rule #7: Please post intelligent and legible messages. None of us want to have to read an alien or "1337" language. We want to read clear English. This includes using strange fonts or excessively distracting colours.

I hope an official rule is enough for you. Stick with the forum defaults, please.

And no, I'm not singling you out. I've asked other people the same thing.

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
I hope an official rule is enough for you. Stick with the forum defaults, please.

And no, I'm not singling you out. I've asked other people the same thing.
If this official rule had said this last part about the fonts and colors earlier when I posted this thread I wouldn't have had any basis to inquire into it and wouldn't have posted it.
I read the rule #7 a couple times when posting this thread and the last part said for the poster if English wasn't their main language to do the best of their ability. There was nothing about colors and fonts. Even Chompy states in his post here that it doesn't say I can't do it per se
Has this rule been changed officially in the last couple of hours? I thought we were going to see what other members thought...
I guess I
FAIL:defeat:

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Has this rule been changed officially in the last couple of hours?
Yes:

"Last edited by chompy; Today at 04:45 PM.. Reason: Rule #7 clarified"

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
On the one hand, I think it's sort of sad that we can't let a guy with renal disease and poor eyesight have such a simple request as a slightly-larger, slightly-garish font for his posts. Seriously. ¬_¬

On the other hand, it seems sort of odd/illogical that somebody who claims to have poor eyesight would be happy with having his posts be large while having our posts remain tiny. In other words, I don't think this really is about being blind but is instead about trying to be an individual whose posts stand out. If it was really about being blind, then the issue wouldn't be about using large font in your own posts: it would be about requesting that everybody uses a large font (for your sake).

And if that's all this is about -- standing out from the crowd -- then I agree that garish fonts aren't the way to do it.

What sort of renal disease? Polycystic? Weil's? Post-streptococcal? Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome? Diabetic nephropathy? Well, whatever it is, sorry to hear about your kidney problems. :\

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
On the one hand, I think it's sort of sad that we can't let a guy with renal disease and poor eyesight have such a simple request as a slightly-larger, slightly-garish font for his posts. Seriously. ¬_¬

On the other hand, it seems sort of odd/illogical that somebody who claims to have poor eyesight would be happy with having his posts be large while having our posts remain tiny. In other words, I don't think this really is about being blind but is instead about trying to be an individual whose posts stand out. If it was really about being blind, then the issue wouldn't be about using large font in your own posts: it would be about requesting that everybody uses a large font (for your sake).

And if that's all this is about -- standing out from the crowd -- then I agree that garish fonts aren't the way to do it.

What sort of renal disease? Polycystic? Weil's? Post-streptococcal? Hemolytic Uremic Syndrome? Diabetic nephropathy? Well, whatever it is, sorry to hear about your kidney problems. :\
What's all this talk of blind trash? If I was blind, I'd be guilty of using garish over sized braille.
I like my post big and colorful and I like the dark skin to post them in.
it is easier for me to read without getting headaches from eye strain.
Sure I'd love all members posts to large and garish! But since my own posts can't and now everybody's can't it just ain't happenin'.
I take Prednizone, Cyclosphorine, and Mycophenalyte all which cause bone mass loss, arthritis, tooth loss, and vision loss due to the combination of all three.

My answer to this is going to be as phoney as your concern for my condition.
It's NYB syndrone (None Yo Business). It only hurts when i laugh.
:rofl:

bpx

Sep 19, 2009
:notice:

I'm no mod but I declare this thread closed because the team made a clear statement. I know forums in which everyone writes in his own font and size and color (some even right everything in center or panned to the right side like arabs) and it's like impossible to read. The new rule here was made in a way that it's still possible to use a different font or color as long as it's readable. So I guess keeping the normal font but writing in red is still possible or using normal color and another font. Everything is settled now I think so we should move along and let this thread rest.

:byebye:

daredemonai

Retiree
Mar 19, 2009
Aqua, I don't have any eye-diseases other than your basic farsightedness (which in Japanese is called "old eyes" :miserable:). What I do is set my browser (Firefox) to display in 22-point Times by default. Some pages override this and display smaller type, so I just do "command-+" (What is it on Windows? "control-+"?) and "blow up" the text.

I sympathize with your desire to express your individuality in your posts, but I also have to tell you that posts in different fonts and colors are just not easy on the eyes of others. I think it's cool to use them conservatively for effect, e.g.:
IMAGINATION!
SpongeBob.jpg

But when the whole post is like that, without any particular reason relevant to the content, it's just hard to look at. (In Japanese, the word for "ugly" translates literally as "hard to look at.")

So as a fellow non-moderator member, I would hope that you and others would contain your enthusiasm, not because there is some ironclad rule, but just because enough people have said, "Please, that's just too much." As for your profile page, hey, that's your own nest, so go for it. :bingo:

Thanks. :bow-pray:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I too recieved a pm message about my colors used, I use different themes, all the time, but I did not notice any hardships on certain themes, I nearly always used blue since I joined akiba, I like blue, but it is only in the last couple of weeks that I was told.

Aqua2213 I am sorry to hear about your plight, I hope you are getting good treatment to maximise your recovery, wish you the best of health

pbx What gives you the right to declare the thread closed, that is very selfish of you, I am happy to think the moderators are giving us all chance to have our say, I myself wish to continue as before, because it expresses ones personality, and I have a eyesight problem, and find it easier in other colors other than black and white.

bpx

Sep 19, 2009
pbx What gives you the right to declare the thread closed, that is very selfish of you, I am happy to think the moderators are giving us all chance to have our say, I myself wish to continue as before, because it expresses ones personality, and I have a eyesight problem, and find it easier in other colors other than black and white.
Are you talking to me? Because that looks like it's supposed to be my nick.
:virtuous::virtuous::virtuous:

Don't pee yourself buddy I meant it in a way like "Team said something, so we should move along" as part of my own opinion. It was no order. And even if it was how could it be selfish? I don't see how that word fits here. Selfish is when I see in a bakery there is only 1 bread left and I take it just so somebody else can't have it. Selfish doesn't fit to this case here.

No matter what you say here the team will stay with it's decision and it's fine that way. So you can save that energy and use it somewhere else. That's what I meant.

And hey I have eyesight problems too. That's why I have to wear glasses. But I don't have to use Arial Black or Impact sized 72 bold to be able to read something here. In fact maybe you should change display settings on your computer/browser then. So I hope this is settled now.
:giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup::giveup:

Aqua2213

Jul 23, 2008
bxp, What I think Coolkevin meant by selfish is the fact that only four people posted their opinions on the topic and then the rule was changed 16 hours after the thread was started by me.

Then 23 hours after the thread was started (that's less than a day), you posted your post about wanting the thread closed so no one could voice their opinion. I looked up selfish in the wikipedia and your avatar was there.

BTW.... You been here less than a month, posted thirty times, and boldly say the thread should be closed.
You aren't one of those banned members sneakin' back in here under a different nick now would ya? You can tell meeee...:secret:
(admin check his IP...)

I still don't know what the rush was all about in making this hasty decision, but who am I to question this, I am but an old blind man who can only see posts in size three font with Comic sans and MediumTurquoise text.
:please:
Thank you Coolkevin for your concern, I have the best nephrologist around these here parts and she takes good care of me.