Do you use Proxy on your torrent client?

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
The first problem is that many proxies in the Internet are HTTP proxies. So you can't use your Torrent client with them.
You need a SOCKS proxy. TOR offers that. But if you read their documentation and FAQ you will come across the statement that they recommend no to do that for several reasons:
  • Sometimes Torrent clients and other P2P programs don't use the SOCKS proxy also you configured one, but establish direct connections.
  • The TOR network bandwidth is limited and also the response time will be much more worse. The TOR network is not meant for this kind of traffic.
  • It is a heavy burden for the TOR network. The infrastructure of the TOR network is made available by private persons. So you put a lot of load of the Internet connections and computers of many people.
Beside the TOR network I don't know any public SOCKS proxies so far (which doesn't mean that they don't exist). But also in their case you might have the problem that your client program will try to establish connections directly.

I'm not sure what you want to achive. Maybe you can describe it more in detail. :)

C00Lzero

Administrator
Conqueror
Aug 14, 2010
well, depending on your os, you can tunnel the traffic through a proxy.

ovpn.to is a nice provider (for example) that also provides anonymous socks proxy servers.
Alternatively. Set up a virtual machine & bridge the virtual-network directly to the VPN-Network :D (or use a complete VPN there)

prophetomega

Smut Hunter
Apr 17, 2012
@CodeGeek After I read about TOR's pros and cons I got worried about torrent. It got me thinking, since I use it everyday, I decided to look for safe ways to use torrent. Then I stumble upon a software called "PeerBlock" according to them
PeerBlock lets you control who your computer "talks to" on the Internet. By selecting appropriate lists of "known bad" computers, you can block communication with advertising or spyware oriented servers, computers monitoring your p2p activities, computers which have been "hacked", even entire countries! They can't get in to your computer, and your computer won't try to send them anything either.
After I found about it I went to youtube and they seemed to recommend it. So I installed it and to my surprise alot of connections were blocked. I even saw a few that came from "botnets" but what really got me so worried is when I saw "evidenzia gmbh & co kg/telemaxx" according to my search engine they are related to copyright violations. I'm happy peerblock blocked them but I still don't feel safe. Maybe I'm just paranoid but I don't want my ISP calling me for violation.

@C00Lzero Currently I use a windows base OS but I don't mind shifting to Mint or Ubuntu. My main issue with linux base is the amount of software you can use. BTW I have a vpn called Hotspot Shield. Anyways do you use that method?

Here's a sample blocked that occurred while I'm using torrent.
Untitled.jpg 1111.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Peerblock has its' uses and used correctly will block most anti-piracy outfits. Trouble is: PeerBlock is only as good as the blocklists it uses. I use PeerBlock but the admins at torrentfreak don't think much of it (it also blocks their IP on one of the lists it seems). Still, preventing around a billion IPs (my list, your list may be more or less) from connected with my pc that are on a anti-p2p, spyware, and adware blocklist as well as my personal IP blocklist (the true power of PeerBlock is users' own defined lists') must provide some type of real protection. Nor do I fool myself that I block every IP address that I should or block some that I shouldn't. Still, I am blocking approximately one seventh of the world population, which is really saying something, lol.

If you can afford a good VPN then get one, especially if you download torrents. Also visit torrentfreak.com often and consistently (they have a good list of good vpns' as well). If you are going to be involved in the world of filesharing keep informed.

Speaking of which you might want to check out: http://www.tribler.org/
Apparently they have come up with an anonymous TORified bittorent client. Torrentfreak has featured them in an article or two as well (which is where I got my info).

Happy torrenting!

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
This Tribler looks interesting. If someone has tried it for some time I'm interesting in a review (pros and cons and so on).