Going online privately: Proxies, etc. - best practices

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

shinta

♡♡♡♡
Dec 15, 2006
What measures do you guys take to browse the web without leaving a trail? Proxy servers, web based proxies, tor plugins, neighbor's wireless? Proxies can be slow as heck for me, so even though I used to use tor, I've given up.

euclids

Nov 23, 2006
You leave trails if you go through proxies as well - just a one step longer trail.

The only secure and "trail-less" mode is using TOR or similar anonymousing networks. Not used them myself, but there will still be some trail through these networks, it will just be hard to know what was delivered and if you actually were the receiver of the content.

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
Anonymous proxies

I stick with anonymous proxies. There are not as many of them floating around as there used to be.
This is one website which tells you which proxies were most recently tested and found to be active. (You need to enable JavaScript to view the port numbers.)

If privacy is not as important to you - because you basically only need an I.P. Address which says you're in Japan in order to access that website, this is another web page with only Japanese proxies, anonymous and transparent. (A question mark after the level ranking indicates a transparent proxy.)

This is a cgi-bin V2.35 proxyjudge with a numeric I.P. Address. Those are good at detecting CoDeeN/PlanetLab proxies; which I urge you to not use. Those are being observed, and the websites visited tracked (for future prohibition). :warning2: