Digital Ownership on Duga.jp: A Misleading Promise

IdeNali

Jul 27, 2016
I've been shopping with Duga.jp on and off for years. Just recently, I got an email from them stating that a title I purchased will soon be "Discontinued." This prompted me to check my inbox (which I rarely do since it's dedicated to Duga emails) and I realized this isn't the first time it's happened. Several titles I've bought are no longer available for download. Thankfully, I've got them stored on my NAS, but even that's not completely foolproof. Now, I'm faced with the task of backing up every purchase from Duga.jp to the Cloud to avoid losing any videos I've paid for and have even more cost doing it. Honestly, it's absurd.

This situation has led me to question the point of buying these titles if there's a risk of losing access to them down the line. Switching to other platforms that offer rentals at a fraction of the purchase price seems more sensible. Essentially, renting them, downloading and storing them in the Cloud amounts to the same thing as "owning" them on Duga.jp. I would have been okay if the titles were just no longer available for new purchases but remained accessible for download to those who had already bought them. Completely removing access is not just unfriendly to customers; it's a terrible move.

The phrase "You'll own nothing and be happy" couldn't be more relevant here. It's frustrating to see such practices becoming more common.

zombierambo

高鼻子外国人
Feb 8, 2022
That is unfortunate but not surprising; more of that kind of behavior is going to hurt creators and platforms by making pirating a more attractive option.

darksider59

Akiba Citizen
Feb 24, 2014
Yeah, never trust an online platform/website for availability. That's why I store locally with backups on external devices. At least, on Duga, some files don't have drm so you actually own them unlike R18 or Fanza.