Dealing with Fake Uploads

xkainx

Jul 15, 2009
The steady stream of fake videos being posted in the downloads section is tolerable now, but if it gets worse are there any measures in place that could be taken without dramatically changing things on AO? For example, could there be a 10 post or thank minimum before posting in the DL/torrents sections? A mandatory intro in a designated forum? I'm just spit-balling, but what does everyone think the most effective measures would be?

DevilXdevil

creatively retarded
Former Staff
Sep 24, 2008
or avoid downloading from users who have very few posts and thanks simple as that

true those misleading topics are being pain in the ass i got suckered in yesterday <.< but then i realized the guy had 10 posts and zero thanks :evil:

elgringo delaying would be good but what kind of delay time delay as in you have to be a member for a month or delay in post count you cant post in dl section until you have this and that? either way that for now would be a great solution

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
We are aware of the problem,
What can the Members do
My first suggestion is, as it seems to be direct downloads
1) is to download the first file only, and try play it from there,
2) if that fails to work, (I know some you have to download the file), then you could post a message in the thread, asking for more details, a good poster would check
3) if the above does not work, then report it, it is the members that can help us here, this helps us to find them quicker, and in way you all help to moderate,

For those who do not know that little red triangle with ! inside it is the report button, and it is located at the top right hand corner of your post

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
Here are also a few more suggestions.
1: Report the thread using the
report.gif
. Don't forget to add why you're reporting it.
2: Add negative reputation to the user using the
reputation.gif
I think that step 2 is more important than 1. If users are constantly uploading bogus stuff and others don't call them out on it they'll continue to do so. Members most likely wouldn't try to download anything from members with negative reputation.

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
Who's up for some medieval justice? I say locate the people responsible and dismember them. :sadomaso:

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Who's up for some medieval justice? I say locate the people responsible and dismember them. :sadomaso:

medieval justice has a lot to answer for, :evil:
but in these cases we now do dismember them, In true Akiba fashion, "BANNED" I must admit maybe smoke coming out of some ears would look better :pandalaugh:

The Prisoner

Number Six
Mar 3, 2008
Well if you do ever decide to go back to good old fashioned dimemberment let me know.
I have an idea for a machine that would accomplish this and provide hours of great entertainment to boot.
Of course the membership list might drop by a few thousand but ehhh . . . . whatever. :dunno: