Dangerous pop-ups when cover is clicked

Senior Idol

May 29, 2008
The following post nearly took control of my computer when I clicked on the cover image. The pop-ups could not be canceled, and twice the Windows security window appeared asking for my permission to install a program. This is a DANGEROUS image hosting service and should be banned. This is in the JAV Downloads section:

http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135906

Senior Idol

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
It's an interesting point you raise.

Part of the reason we do not allow cashlinks is because they force unecessary advertising down your throat (these sort of hostile ads are still ads).

Though I suspect this is a temporary issue, as fapomatic are an old and well-known adult image host and their current state renders them unusable to the majority of the web population.

I'll raise this issue with the other staff.

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
I checked out the link and it kept IE busy for a bit though I didn't get any pop-ups. In any case I changed it to a safe imagehost and advised the OP to use a different host in future threads.

xater

Bibitur Semper
Jun 5, 2007
I checked out the link and it kept IE busy for a bit though I didn't get any pop-ups. In any case I changed it to a safe imagehost and advised the OP to use a different host in future threads.

Why not making a rule to use the board's attachments? Like with torrents?

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
Why not making a rule to use the board's attachments? Like with torrents?

because it's not working for torrent files, go figure about images...

i'm not using this signature just for fun, you know :evillaugh::why:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
The reason torrents are being attached now is because you cannot successfully post a thread in the Torrent subforums now unless you also upload a torrent file as an attachment. Failure to do so produces a message telling you your mistake and how to go about fixing it. Cloning this fix for images would only succeed if images are required for torrent threads and if all the relevant image files were attached. If somebody only attaches one file and then says, "Click here to see the rest," then you still haven't solved the problem.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
i can't believe it but it's true! what a great job you've done!
uhm... but now i have to remove/change my sig :)

back on topic: so it can probably be done for the images too, but that would be A LOT more work for the server, or am i wrong?

edit: damn, i can't beat sakunyuusha's posting speed!
thank you for the explanation; i knew it has to be something like that, but now i'm sure

edit again: uh oh! did i find a bug? when i edited my post the first time there was no thank button o_O

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
The server can cope. It's a fighter. Though I suspect people would just upload one image and use picture hosts for the same and other images.

After all, many people upload torrents as well as use an external torrent host.

Forcing people to attach images with scripts wouldn't really solve the problem.

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
The following post nearly took control of my computer when I clicked on the cover image. The pop-ups could not be canceled, and twice the Windows security window appeared asking for my permission to install a program. This is a DANGEROUS image hosting service and should be banned. This is in the JAV Downloads section:

http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=135906

Senior Idol

I think it was with an image on Pic-Foco on one of the posts in the JAV Download section where, when I clicked on the browser's "back" button to get away from the pop-ups that were in the process of freezing the computer that suddenly a PDF file was being downloaded to my computer.

I'll try to go back and find the post and send you the link.

But this was EXTREMELY creepy and reminiscent of how the dreaded WindowsXPAntiVirus2008 malware installed itself during its breakout phase last year. And that was one of the great bitch viruses of recent years sent worldwide from somewhere in Ukraine (the certainty that the virus was Ukrainian in origin owed to the fact that its code contained instructions NOT to attack computers whose keyboards were mapped in--you guessed it--Ukrainian).