Cutting 1080p HD WMV files (how?)

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

gokkunfan

Jan 14, 2010
Hello Akiba-Online,

Perhaps someone can please help me.

Question: How do I cut scenes from 1080p HD WMV files?

Summary:
I have some 1080p HD WMV files from which I want to cut specific scenes. Unfortunately, all the different programs I have tried failed to complete this simple task.

Attempts:
I have tried cutting my 1080p WMV files with: AVS Video Converter, SolveigMM Video Splitter, Avidemux 2.6 (32-bit)

Solveig says: "Loaded file is corrupted! Trimming result can be incorrect!" - When I choose "Index the file by remuxing", the end result does not play correctly.
avidemux: freezes at 85-95%, and never finishes cutting the file
AVS Video Converter: freezes, ½ the screen missing on video

System Specs:
AMD Phenom II x4 3.4GHZ, 4.00GB RAM (3.12GB usable), 32-bit Win7, nVidia GeForce 9800GTX+

I have used Solveig to cut WMV and MP4 before, with few or no problems. Unfortunately, when I try to cut Idea Pocket videos from this forum (1080p WMV) I run into many problems.

Please, any ideas; recommended software? What is a good program to cut WMV files?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Asfbinwin is the best software I know to edit wmv files without having to reencode them: http://www.radioactivepages.com/asfbin.aspx

Choose the folder(on the top right) where the video is.
Select it and click the left arrow button to add it to the list of input files.
Move the two sliders or enter the start and end time at the middle right to select what you want to keep.
If you want more than one segment, just click "+ insert" and repeat the previous step for the next one.
Choose the destination folder and file name. It doesn't have to be .asf(the ancestor of wmv) even though it's the default, you can name it something.wmv and it will make a proper wmv file.
Then click on "Cut / Copy / Join" to cut it.

gokkunfan

Jan 14, 2010
Wow, that worked!

I'm amazed that such a simple solution came from such a small, quick, free program. All my *pay* programs were useless to do this task.

Thank you SamKook. You've helped me a lot.