Coronavirus/COVID-19 discussion

Restarter

Forklædt Som Voksen (Disguised as an Adult)
Feb 24, 2020
I thought I would put up some reflections on the COVID-19 situation, some of the things that I have done and what I hope could be helpful in getting through this. At least, this is what I have done, so take from it what you want. I'm not going to go into statistics, potential growth of cases, tell you how to best respond or even what I think you should do.

First, I did some shopping at 2 stores yesterday in case I was homebound for a month or two. Don't know if it will really come to that, but you never know. The things I bought were not toilet paper, paper towels, sanitizer or any of the other items you hear on the news. I just bought some toiletries like shampoo. I also bought beer and chips, which I consider 2 of the 5 essential food groups. Since I live in one the states that limits the number of people that can congregate, I was surprised, even amused that both stores had at least several hundred people, had to wait to even get a cart, with large groups out shopping.

Second, I thought about the things I do routinely, did not need now, but could if homebound. I will be in need of a haircut in a couple of weeks and did not want to get stuck at home and emerge looking like a mountain man, so I went and got a haircut yesterday. I was surprised that I was the only one at the barber. She was just about in tears, saying she had almost no one that day. I left her a bigger than normal tip, hoping that would help. This wasn't an exorbitant or "making the news" tip, but she seemed grateful. Also had the dog's nails trimmed just to make sure they weren't too long.

Third, I made sure my gas tank has some minimum amount to get to the hospital, help relatives etc. I don't need to top off each time I get a gallon low, but I don't want to find out at the wrong time that I could not fill up when all the stations were closed.

As a final thought, I made sure to check all essential services, so that the electrical, internet service provider, and Filejoker accounts were all up to date (see promotion above).
Check in if and when you want and let me know how things are going. If this helps, I am glad to help in some small way. But if you really don't like it, you could always print it out and use it for the toilet paper you forgot to buy. Take care of yourself and your loved ones.

Reactions: Casshern2

Restarter

Forklædt Som Voksen (Disguised as an Adult)
Feb 24, 2020
I should have known that Casshern2 would give more info in one link than all my blabbing. It should be noted that he was always ahead of the curve on coronavirus since he was wearing a protective mask before any of us.

Reactions: Casshern2

ashshark

Araumi No Ohja
Jul 11, 2016
this is good info to take, also washing your hands all the time (before leaving and have to be the first thing you do when you reach home) in my case i buy food only monday in the morning (leaving home 5 am, is a bit dangerous but if i dont go early i will stay stuck for lot of hours and maybe some food will get bad for the long time outside fridge) then i dont go outside anymore until the next monday

PD: always when i am outside i use a facemask (if this continue i will use the helmet xD!)

Reactions: Restarter

ashshark

Araumi No Ohja
Jul 11, 2016
Alcohol based hand sanitizer too for when soap and water are not handy. I keep several dispensers at the ready; at home, in the car, in the pocket for wherever I go. It amazes me almost everyday how many things are touched by everyone; doors, ATMs, POS Terminals, Gas Pumps. If available, I use a disposable paper towel to insulate myself from the gas pump handle. Even then, I still sanitize afterwards.
Never had reason before but things being what they are now, I can't help but feel somewhat leery of handling hard currency. I and many merchants, now prefer electronic(touchless if available) transactions. Or I try to pay with exact change if I have to use physical currency.
Basically, I have to go on the premise that every one of us and all we touch(shared air-space included) are potential transmission vectors.
View attachment 2117812
oh yeah digital platforms to pay, we have one to pay bills (even the bank have now direct deposit to the services like water, gas, power etc) i have a hand sanitizer dispenser in my bag (is small, but works to use oustise, i use it all the time) for lucky i dont have a car so the gas station is a place i can skip/evoid for now hehehe also i am using a towel with bleach in the floor, to clean my shoes before i enter my house again (just for caution)

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
Who would have known five years after this first made an appearance on Akiba as a frequent Random Media image it would be more than just a cute pic, but the way things are!

takanashiai4-jpg.403143