Convert from mkv to simple avi

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

diomedes

OverCaffeinated Libertine
Jan 9, 2007
Could anyone please offer some help how to convert from mkv files to avi?

I've stopped watching anime completely for a whole year because i can't watch recent series that are constantly encoded in mkv. My home theater system has a disc player that can run an avi, but not these frivolous mkv files.

:destroy::destroy::destroy::destroy::destroy:

If someone can give me a straightforward method on this, i can't tell you how much you'd make my day.

thanks...

noquarter

Dec 11, 2008
I found the easiest way was to just use PlayOn or TVersity. They transcode a stream on the fly, for a modest amount of CPU power. Saves a lot of time because you don't have to actually reencode the file, plus you can keep the original higher quality .mkv.

PlayOn costs money but works better and lets you stream Hulu/NBC/YouTube etc, TVersity is free but their Hulu support is really weak, I could never get it to work, so I just bought PlayOn when it was on sale.

If you want to change them to AVI the only way I found to do it in a way my player could handle was to just reencode it using Handbrake, MeGUI is more powerful but more complex too. You may be able to just demux the video stream and play it with your player instead of reencoding it, my player just couldn't handle the high quality x264 settings so it didn't matter if I demuxed it but since you're talking anime it would probably work fine for you and would be far quicker and easier than reencoding. (I think the tool you want is MKVExtractGUI)

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
Thanks for the reply, but i have lots of trouble understanding all that you have said.

What's TVersity? Do i have to plug in my media player conncted to the tv to a router? Never hear of this software, and the site assumes you already know what it is. Couldn't figure it out, and i don't think it's really meant for me due to hardware....unless i could get a explanation on what to do. As is, all i know is that TVersity lets you stream...

Handbrake didn't work, and i cannot find any tutorials on it online anywhere. I downloaded handbrake, and did what appeared to be obvious, and it said conversion was done (after 4 minutes ?!) and there was no output file in the specified folder.

I tried Xilisoft, since there was a clear youtube tutorial but then the sample conversion didn't have any subtitles. (i used mkv files from this uploadhttp://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114080&highlight=queen%27s+blade).

I can't stream any data to my media player, wouldn't be able to connect those ethernet cords to a router ... I just need a way to convert these files....

This just doesn't make sense: mkvs have been around for so many years, now they are standard and we still can't come up with simple ways to convert them to avi..... I find that incomprehensible.....

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
MKV is a container just like AVI.

You should (assuming the streams are compatible with AVI) be able to remux it with "avi mux gui"

http://www.alexander-noe.com/video/amg/

That certainly beats transcoding.

HOWEVER

Since you're using a DVD player to play these on, chances are it only supports MPEG-4 part 2 (Xvid or DivX rips) rather than MPEG-4 part 10/H264/AVC (x264 rips) which is the standard with anime fansubs (the anime fansub scene tends to opt for Xvid+AVI or x264+mkv rather than any other combination) and therefore your best bet for watching it on your MPEG-4 part 2 enabled DVD player is for you to transcode it to Xvid+AVI.

Use a tool such as "media info" to find out what video format a video is
http://mediainfo.sourceforge.net/en

I find the easiest transcoding tool is mediacoder. You'll want to transcode it to Xvid at 2-pass, mp3 or AVC audio and output to AVI.
http://mediacoder.sourceforge.net/

(Re)muxing: Putting video/audio/meta-streams into a file container format without modifying the streams
Transcoding: Converting video/audio from one standard to another using a codec
MPEG-4 Part 2: Most non-high def video floating around these days is encoded in this format. It is typically Xvid or DivX (DivX players are included in most modern DVD players)
MPEG-4 part 10: also known as H264, this standard is the current highest video quality format that exists. It typically uses more power to decode than other, lower quality video.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
I probably should be specific as to what i have to play these. It's this thing :

http://www.negustore.com/products/A...ction-Remote-Control---Dolby-Digital-AC3.html

It plays quite a few of the avis and other things i put into it.

Ok, will try mediacoder next. Is there some tutorial that i would find useful? I have head out now, and i used default settings on it, seems to be doing some kind of encoding right now while i'm out.

I think i've used this program the last time i was wrestling with this issue a couple years ago, but i must have reached some dead end somewhere.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
Mediacoder is pretty straightforward.

At default settings with xvid 2-pass and avi you should be OK.

Just check over the output file on your computer and see how it compares with the original (assuming you can play the original on your computer, I hope that wasn't the problem though).

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
MediaCoder does not work (with the current settings) The output file plays fine on the pc, subtitles and all. It does not play in the media player. I don't know why.

I left the default settings on but changed one thing, set it to Two Pass under the video tab (see screen below). I loaded the output avi file into gspot (see screen below). I don't know what most of it says but that's the data on what mediacoder put out.

I changed that setting because the bitrate based default didn't work either (it did on the pc though) on the media player.

fnhgti.jpg

14t0upg.jpg

edit:
Added media info
21amm8y.jpg

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
It does not play in the media player. I don't know why.
Probably because your video has a non-standard resolution of 960x720. Look up your media player's specs and find out the accepted resolutions for MPEG-4 video.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
From your link it doesn't say anything about your DVD player even supporting video.

Regardless, you should change profile from 'unrestricted' (which will use encoding options only supported in recent versions of a decoder) to something like 'DXN home theater' which will use less potentially incompatible options. Most videos will use one of the 'advanced simple profile' options.

I've googled but there's very little information on your model out there.

Edit: Yea, and resolution. Definitely don't need the video to be over 640px high.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
hmm, thanks.... looks like a dead end approaching....

The media player, it's a cheap peice of crap really. You should hear the noise it makes. Not to mention it's new -_-
Anyway, i'm ready to continue troubleshooting with it since it has proved to be tolerant with a number of video files i asked it to play so far. As for gathering data on what it will and will not play, i'm not surprised you could find nothing. The packaging box has virtually nothing useful to say with regards to specific codec/video files it's supposed to play. Enough about that...

I'll try making the recently suggested adjustments to the encoding process. But looks like i have to plug in my old x box again after all. At least it's easier to figure out what it will and will not play. But that means i have to move furniture and do wiring behind the tv..... *sigh*

Digression: Is there any good substitute hardware for what i have that actually kicks ass and would have a lot more versatility like a modded xbox? I don't have much in the way of disposable income, specially since i'm finally quitting my 2nd job, but just curious. I mean, i'm pretty sure there are alot of people out there who have ways of watching anime somewhere other than their computer desk, which is something i adamantly refuse to do.

chompy

slacker
Staff member
Super Moderator
Emperor
Nov 7, 2006
You could always just plug your computer into your TV...

That's what I'd do if I had a TV.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
So what is standard resolution? I set the output to 720 480. Is that standard?

I even plugged and set up my xbox, that previous output 960 720 avi file would not play in that either.

I googled x box info to find standard resolution, couldn't find anything.

You could always just plug your computer into your TV...

That's what I'd do if I had a TV.

Tvs downstairs, pc is upstairs. I can't find a way around that problem.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
Ok, finally worked, the problem was the resolution, kept all other settings the same. Tested it on the xbox, and it worked on the media player too.

Thanks for the patience and help. Last thing i watched was Lucky Star, seems like forever ago. Now i can finally get back into watching anime....

noquarter

Dec 11, 2008
So do you burn these to DVD to play them on the player or how are you accessing them?

The way TVersity works is it sets up a media server for your home network.. I use a modded XBox as well and have it plugged in to my router to play files off my computer. It's really hard to beat XBMC I just wish the cpu in there could handle x264 without needing to use TVersity/PlayOn. If you want to try that set up though I can help you with TVersity.

diomedes

Jan 9, 2007
So do you burn these to DVD to play them on the player or how are you accessing them?

The way TVersity works is it sets up a media server for your home network.. I use a modded XBox as well and have it plugged in to my router to play files off my computer. It's really hard to beat XBMC I just wish the cpu in there could handle x264 without needing to use TVersity/PlayOn. If you want to try that set up though I can help you with TVersity.

Well, i used to have the XBMC setup, exactly like you, and i do have the outlet adapters to even get around the wiring right now, but i prefer putting stuff on dvds and keeping them there. Not enough HD space on the pc for that. But after moving recently i have not had the patience to deal with so many technical issues. So far, this thread concludes all problems (i think) with the h264 that i have been having for a very long time. I don't understand why there are so many complicated and obscure methods for converting, when Mediacoder is so simple and direct.

Tversity looks curious, but i've had enough technological innovation, and since i can cue all my conversions overnight and i don't consume *that* much anime, my current arrangement is very convenient.

I was told that there's a way to deal with h264 on XBMC though, and came close to asking my friend to do the necessary changes to my modded xbox to play them, but i don't know for sure if it included streaming.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Could anyone please offer some help how to convert from mkv files to avi?

I've stopped watching anime completely for a whole year because i can't watch recent series that are constantly encoded in mkv. My home theater system has a disc player that can run an avi, but not these frivolous mkv files.

:destroy::destroy::destroy::destroy::destroy:

If someone can give me a straightforward method on this, i can't tell you how much you'd make my day.

thanks...

There are several programs for this. The best programs are AlltoAvi(freeware) and Ultra Video converter(pay program). With these programs you can change subs if it has multiple language subs and audio if it has multiple language . audio. Depending on how fast you computer is it can take 2 - 40 minutes a episode,my old pc had only a gig of ram and a 1.7 ghz celeron so it took 20-4o minutes, my new pc has a Intel quad core 2.34 ghz and 8 gigs of DDR2 ram, so it takes 2-7 minutes on my new PC.If your PC is slow then this is something you should just set up to run while you are at work or school or asleep or watching a movie marathon. AlltoAvi has a lock aspect ratio option which makes resizing the resolution easier. and both programs give the option to manually adjust the resolution size. The max resolution size depends on the what you dvd player can play. The max my dvd player can play is 720x480, all lot of the MKVs have resolutions higher than this so you may need to adjust the resolution.

Usually these programs just require that you drag the file to them and you set what ever options you want such as quality settings, codecs, and resolution and a few other options. Just make sure you know what codecs your dvd plays because not all AVIs are the same. Some have h624, some have Xvid, some have DivX, some use some other codecs.

Basically you do the following to convert mkv to avi-

1.open program such as alltoavi or Ultra Video converter or some other program.

2. Drag your MKV to the program that is open.

3. select your codec, video and sound quality settings. The higher the settings the larger the avi is going to be.

4. select your subs and audio.( with Ultra Video converter right click on file and select properties to select subs and audio)

5.Adjust your resolution/screen size(width/height) if needed.

6. hit convert and 20-40 minutes(if you have a slow computer) it should be converted.

With alltoavi if the MKV has a h264 codec, there will a be a pop up asking if you want to switch to a more restrictive mode. Since restrictive mode takes a lot longer you can try it first without using restrictive mode. Just be aware that if you have to use restrictive mode then you have reconvert that to a DivX or Xvid codec because I believe it still leaves the H264 codec in the file. Ultra Video converter does not require a restrictive mode for H264 codecs, so after the file is converted you can just burn it straight to a dvd.

IF you do have to do restrictive mode with alltoavi-

1. select restrictive mode.

2. select video settings, audio language and subtitle and resolution and click "add job"

3. A pop up telling you that "you must select a frame rate on the frame rate dialog" , click ok.

4.No skip window pop up appears. Check one of the FPS options and the no skip option and select "ok"

5. hit convert button and a hour or longer your file should be converted.

AlltoAvi saves regular converted files to the "Converted" folder in the folder where you MKV or OGM files were and saves restrictive mode files to the "trans" folder in the folder where you MKV or OGM file is.

I uploaded ultravideo converter on this thread http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showpost.php?p=376098&postcount=64

AlltoAVI is freeware so you can use google for that.

If the program has a issue with the directory then move the MKV or OGM to a folder closer to your root directory or maybe add a shorter name(fansubbers like to put some numbers and their fansub name on the file)
Sometimes those two programs do not always work. Sometimes the audio is out of sync or it just won't convert the file. SO always check the file before burning to dvd.

If those two programs fail try finding the same episode but done by a different fansubber and then try converting it again to AVI.

This section is a last resort

If you are doing a dub or the subs are actually hardcoded(which is rare for a MKV) then there is a program called "Aiseesoft Total Video Converter" I do not have a installer for this anymore. Its only good for hard coded subs and dubs. I love dubs so I occasionally use this. This program does not allow you to select subs or audio language.Which is why the language you want has to be the defalt or that the subs have to be hardcoded.

converting with Aiseesoft Total Video Converter-

1.drag MKV to program

2. go to profile select "general video" and select codec "DivX video(*avi)

3.go to settings select your frame rate, resolution(can be adjusted manually), video bitrate, audio sample rate, and audio bitrate and hit "ok".The higher the settings the larger the AVI file.

4.click on the "effects" tab and slide only the audio bar to the far right. if you have more than one file check the apply to all box.Click "ok"

5. Click start button.

If you are doing a english dub with Aiseesoft Total Video Converter but English is not the default language then you need a program called "mkvmerge" GUI to remove the audio you do not want.mkvmerge is freeware.

1. drag your file to the part that says input.

2.In the Box that says "tracks, chapeters and tags" uncheck the audio language you do not want.

3.either change the output name or click browse to select a different director.

4.click the start muxing tab and quickly you should have a MKV with only the audio you want in it.

5. open Aiseesoft Total Video Converterdrag the new mkv to it and follow the Aiseesoft Total Video Converter directions.

If that fails then there is "AVSVideoConverter" basically the same principal with alltoavi and ultra video converter. It does a shitty job with subs and the subs do not have the black border so white subs blend in with white backgrounds and sometimes there are dashes or space lines between words. If I remember correctly this program just allows you to do subs but not language audio.

Note added November 28 2009
IF you are using vista 64 bit edition or windows 7 64 bit edition you will need to disable driver signature enforcement to get "alltoavi" to work and even some other programs as well. This can either be done manually by going into boot options menu by restarting your pc and repeatedly pressing F8 or by using a freeware 3rd party program called readydriver plus.

http://www.citadelindustries.net/readydriverplus/

noquarter

Dec 11, 2008
Well, i used to have the XBMC setup, exactly like you, and i do have the outlet adapters to even get around the wiring right now, but i prefer putting stuff on dvds and keeping them there. Not enough HD space on the pc for that. But after moving recently i have not had the patience to deal with so many technical issues. So far, this thread concludes all problems (i think) with the h264 that i have been having for a very long time. I don't understand why there are so many complicated and obscure methods for converting, when Mediacoder is so simple and direct.

Tversity looks curious, but i've had enough technological innovation, and since i can cue all my conversions overnight and i don't consume *that* much anime, my current arrangement is very convenient.

I was told that there's a way to deal with h264 on XBMC though, and came close to asking my friend to do the necessary changes to my modded xbox to play them, but i don't know for sure if it included streaming.

Yea TVersity is really awkward.. not hard to set up but it's not very obvious what to do, PlayOn was really simple. Curious about the h264 on XBMC though, any idea what kind of changes we're talking about?

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Does it have to be AVI? Ever thought about giving MP4 a chance?

MKV is an independently developed media container and for that reason very few set-top devices support it. On the other hand, MP4 is a standardized container for current/next-gen codecs (specifically H264 for video and AAC for audio). Most set-top boxes should have no problem playing MP4 files, so long as the audio and video streams conform to H264 and AAC standards as well.

If you have subtitles, that may complicate things, as some set-top boxes might play MP4 files but ignore embedded soft-subs, or other boxes might decide not to play those MP4 files at all. You should consult your set-top player's support forum for advice.

The reason I would suggest giving MP4 a shot is that transporting the video and audio streams from MKV to MP4 takes only a few seconds, no need to re-transcode existing videos which takes hours and/or degrades the video.

Of course the easiest solution as mentioned would be to buy a cable to hook up your PC to your TV. And maybe also get a wireless keyboard/mouse.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
MKV is an independently developed media container and for that reason very few set-top devices support it.
To be honest, all of the set-tops worth owning support MKV.