Computer shopping, any suggestions?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Little Chucky

Hi, I'm Chucky, Wanna Play?
Aug 28, 2013
Why did you choose a sandisk extreme II SSD?
And only 1TB? for the HDD?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The sandisk was the most reccomended in other peoples builds, same for the 1TB (which for my purposes is likely more than I will ever need). I could have gone for a more budget build but I haven't upgraded in a long time so went for a more medium setup so I can stay current longer. Doesn't mean I picked the best stuff, even for the price. Feel free to offer some sugestions if you have them but keep in mind I feel I spent too much already. Of course I haven't ordered the parts yet, still waiting for some money to clear the bank.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well I ordered all the parts and went only slightly over budget before the mail-in rebates. For those curious and just because I want to share, here are the final components for my build:

Code:
Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor
    $209.97    
Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler
    $33.65     -$5.00
ASRock Z97 PRO4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard
    $109.99     -$10.00
G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866 Memory
    $84.99     -$8.49
Sandisk Extreme II 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
    $74.99    
Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
    $84.99
MSI Radeon R9 270X 2GB TWIN FROZR Video Card
    $199.99     -$20.00    
Corsair Graphite Series 230T Black ATX Mid Tower Case
    $64.99     -$10.00
SeaSonic S12II 620W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply
    $64.99         $3.99         $68.98    
LG GH24NSB0 DVD/CD Writer
    $17.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit)
    $86.99    
StarTech 18in SATA to Right Angle SATA Serial ATA Cable                     $3.23                
        Anti-Static Wrist Band with Adjustable Grounding                     $4.49    

Base Total:     $1041.25    
Promo Discounts:     -$8.49    
Combo Discounts:     -$8.00    
Mail-in Rebates:     -$45.00    
Shipping:     $3.99    
Total:     $983.75

Thx again for all the input. I took LittleChuckys advice and upgraded to a 2TB drive (didn't really cost that much more) and I went with windows 7 because after some research it sounded to be a lot easier for me to use because it is more like the windows setups I am accustomed too. I did my best to research the parts and look for reviews on what I finally chose. It sounds like work but I had fun doing it. Hopefully in about a week to ten days I will have it up and running (crossing fingers). I hope this thread helps others here in the market to for new PC.

Reactions: EzikialRage

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well, age and eyesight betrayed me. Connecting all those damn cables to the mother board was too much a pain in the ass so I took it someplace for them to overcharge me to do that. Couldn't be helped, I guess I am just getting old, lol. I did manage to put the majority of it together myself though. Frigging software installs, drivers and Windows updates took frigging hours. Works like a charm now. Thx again for all the input peeps.

Last edited:

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Well, age and eyesight betrayed me. Connecting all those damn cables to the mother board was too much a pain in the ass so I took it someplace for them to overcharge me to do that. Couldn't be helped, I guess I am just getting old, lol. I did manage to put the majority of it together myself though. Frigging software installsm drivers and Windows updates took frigging hours. Works like a charm now. Thx again for all the input peeps.
Man, that's sound like you're 100 or above. :( Luckily or not I'm short eye sighted. And my computer isn't that deep. ;) So no problem. But as years pass by my eye sight also doesn't get better. :(
I hope you have a lot of fun with your new computer. :)

Reactions: Ceewan

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Well, age and eyesight betrayed me. Connecting all those damn cables to the mother board was too much a pain in the ass so I took it someplace for them to overcharge me to do that. Couldn't be helped, I guess I am just getting old, lol. I did manage to put the majority of it together myself though. Frigging software installsm drivers and Windows updates took frigging hours. Works like a charm now. Thx again for all the input peeps.
This is why I like prebuilt computers. Everything is already hooked up and installed and you do not have to buy a copy of windows.

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Well...it was really worth it. I had gotten prebuilts in the past but I always hated all the crapware they snuck onto my computer, not a problem this time. The prebuilt desktops I was looking at weren't powerful enough for the money either. This way I know something about everything that is in my computer (I researched the parts) and I really got involved. I could have taken all the parts to someone to put together for me without doing anything other than purchasing them and I wouldn't have spent a dime more than I did. As far as compatability issues I used pcpartpicker (thx so much for someone turning me on to that site) and it gave me a great range of parts, prices and told me where the best deal was (and told me when parts weren't compatable of course). Except for my lack of being able to build it all on my own, I can't say I have any regrets. Prebuilts are convienent but they sell prebuilt computers to make a nice profit. I would rather spend that money on a better computer......and I did. It took me a day to setup the software and download the freeware I enjoy using (CCleaner, Daemontools, 7zip, Tor, utorrent, etc.,) but that day is behind me now. I also had to figure out how to get Windows 7 to recognize my other hard drive but it really wasn't that big of a deal. The whole thing was an adventure instead of a chore or just another day shopping. I would highly suggest it to anybody.