Chat room or box for the site.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
I'd love to see some kind of chat room on this site. From my experince in the forum I feel that the members of Akiba have a lot to say and socialize quite a bit in the threads. It seems only right then judging from this that we should have some kind of chat room to socialize with other memebers outside of threads or private messages, anyone agree?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
We have an IRC chat room (#shibuyabashi @ irc.rizon.net), but no one talks in there.

handyman

Super Perv
Former Staff
Nov 16, 2006
Personally the idea scares me.

Sounds like a magnet for spam fundamentalists

:stress:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I'm not opposed to this, but I hate chat rooms personally. That is to say, I don't see the harm in letting those who want to have a chat room have a chat room, but I would prefer to keep my conversations with the other members on the forum. I think chat rooms are much too chaotic (since it's like having one massive "thread" instead of thousands of topic-specific threads) and because of that nature almost every single IRC chat room always de-evolves into a brainless "so how was your day?" "whatcha doin'?" "read any good books lately?" chat. Blah. >_< (For me, at least.)

If it were put to a vote, I'd be in favor of a chat room (which we already have) and I'd also be in favor of a chat box so long as it was fully disable-able from within each member's Control Panel. If people want these things and aren't going to be hurting anybody with 'em, then why the hell not? :) That's my mentality.

fr0stbyte

Former Staff
Apr 8, 2008
I've been to #shibuyabashi but I haven't had any replies to my "hi" messages so I guess most of the folks there are just busy. And I second handyman's fears of having a chat room filled with spam (and other creepy stuff).. The memories of spammers engulfing the confines of this forum with attractive "please-click-me-pics" still haunts me..

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
We have an IRC chat room (#shibuyabashi @ irc.rizon.net), but no one talks in there.

Oh it looks like we do, well I might have to check this out. Thanks for the heads up, I'm feeling more and more like an Akiba newb with each response lol :dunno:.

newsn

Nov 1, 2007
also be in favor of a chat box so long as it was fully disable-able from within each member's Control Panel. If people want these things and aren't going to be hurting anybody with 'em, then why the hell not? :) That's my mentality.

I think your on to something with this, I've seen similar types of chat boxes on other forums and I agree with what you said that if it's not hurting anyone why not? But I don't call the shots around here so who knows maybe someday we'll see one.