Chat and IM sites

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
Can you wise people tell me if third parties, e.g. snoops, agencies, etc read your chat messages while you are online? Can they tap/bug your chat as they can tap your phone?

Can they read your saved messages without having physical access to your computer? Do IM providers save your messages?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
IM providers routinely archive conversations and traffic logs for periods of time. Depending on your local laws, they may even be required to do so.

Law enforcement (LE) usually "taps" your IM conversations by requisitioning chat logs (what you said) and traffic logs (to whom you said it to) from the IM provider. Depending on your jurisdiction, the legal burden of proof to get a warrant from a judge might be less or more (or non-existent) for each type of log. Check your local laws. Here in the U.S.A., the administration is trying to make traffic logs of all types completely exempt from warrant requirements.

Bottom line is: if you want to keep the content of your IM conversations secret from LE "wiretaps" all parties must use encryption such as OTR. If you want to hide the fact that you are chatting with someone, you need to use something like TorChat.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
Thanks for the info. When I reloaded my OS earlier this year I tried to read old chat messages that I had saved in Yahoo IM but they were no longer there so I guess Yahoo did not save them.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Just because you can't access your old conversations doesn't mean they're not archived by Yahoo somewhere on slow storage.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Can they tap/bug your chat as they can tap your phone?

It has been done before. A hard line can be tapped and monitored.

Further your average IM messages can be traced from point A to B. I admit I have not kept up with the new technology but old IM services were never made to keep you anonymous. They were created to be convenient methods of person to person communication on the internet. This means creating a direct link from your pc to another pc. There have been many attempts to keep such traffic secure and anonymous and they have been constantly and consistently thwarted in one manner or another.

Of course on the fly encryption is a decent solution, IMHO. PGP has made emailing secure by using such encryption methods, (and that is old school). In this matter all traffic coming and going from your computer would be encrypted and unreadable garbage without a specific decryption key. Of course it might be a good idea to be careful who you give your key to, you really never know for sure who is on the other end of phone.