8.8 Richter earthquake hits Japan: Tsunami, nuclear meltdown, many dead

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
nhk-world (voiced in english)
NHK World is pretty repetitive, but I've noticed that sometimes they air dubbed NHK Japan, which is a little better.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Just an on-the-ground-update:

==NHK TV, ASAHI TV AND FUJI TV are reporting that due to intollerable radiation levels at the plant, they are TEMPORARILY removing the workers from the site - oh shit==

A few more rumbles in Northern Tokyo this morning. The main worrying thing at the MOMENT is HUGE gusts of wind coming from the north. Laundry from peoples balconies is blowing off, cardboard boxes were blowing across the street into the fenced gated median and the we are having another small aftershock at the same time. Either an after-shock or that wind is powerful enough to blow my building side to side.

If someone can point me to a webcasting software that is free and EASY to use, please let me know as I will mount my camera and microphone out the window here on the 7th floor.

Gotta run and see if Yodobashi Camera is open in Ueno as I need some printer ink. Not taking the train, not biking (wind is too strong) so I'll be hoofing it. Here goes nothing.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
If someone can point me to a webcasting software that is free and EASY to use
Ustream (sign up and then start broadcasting); their servers can also handle significant bandwidth for redistribution. But if you get disconnected, you may have to manually reconnect.

12:52
We just got another earthquake, magnitude 6.0 off the eastern coast of Chiba. Significant shaking but it seems not much damage.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
http://j-tv.me/e2GXiF
Going to have my camera pointed outside and the TV will be turned up. If you hear the sound of what might be akin to a robot being r***ing while buzzing very loudly multiple times, then that means there's an incoming earthquake.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Crap, after my webcam fell off the ledge and was dangling 7 floors above the concrete, I decided to duct-tape that fugger down.
Make that link: http://j-tv.me/efTTnm

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
Here's an excellent conference given on the 15th. They discuss the current Fukushima situation and possible outcomes, including recriticality. (No audio for the first 3 minutes)

[ustream]13339131[/ustream]

Time: 2011 Mar 15 19:00 - 20:00
Summary:
URGENT PRESS CONFERENCE
Chihiro Kamisawa, Senior Researcher, CNIC
Masashi Goto, Former Toshiba Nuclear Power Plant Designer

Language:
The speech and Q & A is in Japanese with English interpretation.

Description:
Third Update on Fukushima Nuclear Power Plant

Chihiro Kamisawa, the Citizens' Nuclear Information Center (CNIC) and Masahi Goto, former Toshiba nuclear power plant designer who gave briefings on the earthquakes impact and damage to the nuclear facility in Fukushima on Sunday and Monday, will give the third update to the Club, to give an update on events unfolding in Fukushima following news of another explosion this morning.

We are waiting for the responses to our invitations to the Prime Minister’s Office and to Tokyo Electric Power Co., to brief on the current situation.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Wow Fox News... how fucking dumb are you?
I saw this in this photo AND through a photo someone took of their TV screen, good effing christ...

200778_10150440634305402_513905401_17866937_6567920_n.jpg

So... Sendai is SOUTH of Fukushima?
Shibuya Egg-man? (That's 'Egg Bun' in Japanese, Shibuya is one of the little suburbs of Tokyo, so whoever made the map for Fox did something like making a map of New York State and having one location "Manhattan Pastrami" and "Grand Central Buns")
Holy dog on fire...

ALSO....
NHK TV> The reason why 800 TEPCO employees are preparing to go to the Fukushima power plant is because they can stay only 1 minutes to hold the water hose right next to the nuclear plants which is required at the moment. I guess the working Gundam mechs simply aren't ready for use....

yet.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Actually, the map lists nuclear power plants, and there is a power plant called "Sendai" (different kanji) in Kagoshima.
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sendai_Nuclear_Power_Plant

And Shibuya Eggman is actually the name of a live-house (eg: a place where bands play music, not a nuclear reactor). FOX is absolutely wrong in reporting that there is a nuclear reactor anywhere near Tokyo (where, in the event of a real disaster, Tokyo would be significantly affected).

Fuzzypeach

Dec 12, 2009
From the Earthquake app, many quakes are occurring in Honshu were the 9.0 hit. Just had another one maybe 45 minutes ago, this shit can keep one's sanity on edge because I never know if these shakes will be worse than the last one. I have a window in my building which rattles at the slightest hint an Earthquake is happening, an excellent alarm. The people living in Japan on his board, stay safe and I hope you are doing well.
No matter how bleak shit looks, I am quite happy living in Japan.

LoveSheep69

Jan 17, 2010
Just had a strange thought/question, but I wonder if the Gonges(not certain on spelling) dam in China (since it is large enough to actually alter the earths axial tilt slightly) is some what responsible for the increased quake activity around the world? Probably not, but it was a stray thought that was interesting enough to share in my opinion. Thought was based on how all of that pressure is applied at one specific point.

Another question. Any confirmed Idol deaths or other famous Japanese celebrities? Any reported missing?

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Just had a strange thought/question, but I wonder if the Gonges(not certain on spelling) dam in China (since it is large enough to actually alter the earths axial tilt slightly)

the Three Gorges Dam
the simple answer is yes, it contributed to some quakes, I do not know yet if has made any difference to this one, but is it not surprising if it did, this came out in the proposal

spikier

JAPAN:みんなのあい
Nov 13, 2008
The more I try to avoid these kinds of stuffs ...the more i see them WHY Kami-sama ? :pissed:

http://www.landoverbaptist.net/showthread.php?t=60991

that thread & that site is B.S; full of mindless followers & hypocrites.

'most' Christians are idiots; they follow a book supposedly with the thoughts of 'god', no questions asked. most of them blame that "god" (shamelessly) for 'unfortunate disasters' such as the one with japan. well if their "god" really is responsible for the lives of INNOCENT people being taken away, he is a murderer; simple as that. if he's really so powerful & loving, why Not just take the lives of the 'evil' sinners & leave the rest?. i'm pretty sure there's a possibility that the lives of kids have also been taken; how can kids even possibly be 'fully' aware of such laws & principles of the bible?. its just not right. its not.

how can any individual praise a murderer?. some say "its ALL part of his plan"; what fucking plan is that?, a plan to see how many of us shed the most tears?; is that it?. i refuse to follow such a god.

I'll stick to my own beliefs that are not based off A BOOK.

don't get me wrong, i believe in a god. just NOT, NOT!!!! the god that Christians speak of. the god i believe in is loving & forgiving & wants us innocent people to live our lives without his interference.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
that thread & that site is B.S; full of mindless followers & hypocrites

Spikey, you're my buddy and I respect you, but the rest of your comment goes over the top.

Lets not lump any intolerant or oddball fringe groups in with the majority of people following any particular religion. And lets not waste our time and energy dumping on any other group of people (other than the news media for their poor coverage). There's no reason to attack a religion in such a general sense. Not right now and not in this thread.

EDIT: As guy has pointed out, the particular group referenced in the link is fictitious. No reason to comment on them any further. :joker:

Lets continue to focus our concern on the matter at hand.

With that in mind, whats this I hear about a possible fix coming soon? Supposedly, a power line that would get energy back to the cooling systems is going up soon.

Can anyone in Japan confirm, or is this just more speculation from overseas news agencies? :puzzled:

uk21

Saori Hara Alliance
Aug 4, 2009
Spikey, you're my buddy and I respect you, but the rest of your comment goes over the top.

Lets not lump any intolerant or oddball fringe groups in with the majority of people following any particular religion. And lets not waste our time and energy dumping on any other group of people (other than the news media for their poor coverage). There's no reason to attack a religion in such a general sense. Not right now and not in this thread.

Lets continue to focus our concern on the matter at hand.

With that in mind, whats this I hear about a possible fix coming soon? Supposedly, a power line that would get energy back to the cooling systems is going up soon.

Can anyone in Japan confirm, or is this just more speculation from overseas news agencies? :puzzled:

Yes I second that my friend ..

Whatever religion you follow or if you don't follow any ,we all breath the same air and bleed the same color blood?

Let's keep the religion bashing..for a another day and keep our minds and thoughts on the people who have lost their lives and are struggling to survive.:dunno:

No disrespect to you spikey1212 , you are entitled to your views.

yes lowleg26 ..they saying the same thing over here in the uk.

I hope it works..

uk21