8.8 Richter earthquake hits Japan: Tsunami, nuclear meltdown, many dead

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

example100000

Old Timer
Sep 26, 2009
An earthquake measuring 8.8 struck off the northeast coast of Japan on Friday, shaking buildings in the capital Tokyo, causing "many injuries", major tsunami damage and at least one fire.

earthquake_1461371c.jpg

Damage from a 2009 earthquake in Makinohara, Japan. The latest quake in the country was measured at magnitude 7.9 and triggered a tsunami warning Photo: AP

6:30AM GMT 11 Mar 2011
The Japanese public broadcaster NHK showed cars, trucks, houses and buildings being swept away by tsunami in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture. Black smoke was seen billowing from a building in Odaiba, a Tokyo suburb, and bullet trains to the north of the country were halted.
Television showed cars bobbing in water along side fishing boats. A 50 cm tsunami hit Japan's northern coast.
"The building shook for what seemed a long time and many people in the newsroom grabbed their helmets and some got under their desks," Reuters correspondent Linda Sieg said.
"It was probably the worst I have felt since I came to Japan more than 20 years ago."
US officials said the 8.8-magnitude quake struck about 250 miles (400km) from Tokyo at a depth of 20 miles. The stock market extended its losses after the quake was announced.
Japan's northeast Pacific coast, called Sanriku, has suffered from quakes and tsunamis in the past and a 7.2 quake struck on Wednesday. In 1933, a magnitude 8.1 quake in the area killed more than 3,000 people. Last year fishing facilities were damaged after by a tsunami caused by a strong tremor in Chile.
Earthquakes are common in Japan, one of the world's most seismically active areas. The country accounts for about 20 percent of the world's earthquakes of magnitude 6 or greater.
A tsunami warning was in effect for Russia, Marcus Island and the Northern Marianas. A tsunami watch has been issued for Guam, Taiwan, the Philippines, Indonesia and US state of Hawaii.

Source:http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/wor...its-Japan-after-8.8-magnitude-earthquake.html

Hope the girls there are okay :scared::scared::scared::scared:

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
This is terrible! :eek:hnoes:

The footage of the tsunami waves washing away houses is just heartbreaking.

I hope all our Japanese members/visitors are somewhere safe. I also hope that as few people as possible are injured.

Let us know that you're OK, guys. :please:

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT ALL ABOUT?!?!?!

Holy shit in a hat and put it on my head was that ever a horrible earthquake. Are the rest of you that actually live here alright (and you fuckers who say "I live in Japan" when you're actually in your mom's basement in Euromerica, fuck off.

I'll load up a few photos I took of the aftermath and see if I can scrounge some from the net. My buddy just tagged me on Facebook in a video showing the tsunami, I can hardly beleive how fast it went.

Take care everyone, this thing's not over yet, it's 5:05 and we are still shaking.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
If you are trying to call people in Tokyo use (03) numbers. Mobile networks still down.

greenbrain

Support AKIBA-ONLINE
Aug 4, 2008
I'm so sorry japan earthquake:bow-pray:

Japan is Precious nation on the earth. Don't be hurt. I wish there is no damage in japan.

Forever japan! From Seoul, korea.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Here in Japan, watching the news.

Early numbers report between 8.4 and 8.8 for the first quake. Two 6.4 quakes followed shortly after. Sendai and surrounding cities in Aomori prefecture are hardest hit. We are now almost 3 hours after the first quake, and still feeling aftershocks.

There have already been multiple confirmed casualties.

Tsunami warning is in effect for most of the eastern coast. Sendai has already been hit with the tsunami. Highest tsunami is estimated at up to 10 meters in height; up to 4 meters around the Tokyo area. Sendai Airport has been flooded by the tsunami. Tsunami warnings will be in effect for 24 hours for subsequent tsunamis.

All international air traffic for the Kanto area (Haneda, Narita, etc airports) has been redirected to southern airports (Kansai, etc). Flights have been suspended indefinitely.

A large gas tank at a steel refinery in Chiba has exploded. One of the nearby tanks has just exploded, and no word on the status of other nearby gas tanks.

Tokyo Electric has reported over 450,000 homes currently cut off from electricity.

Floors and roofs of multiple buildings have collapsed. No information yet of any trapped people.

There is other extensive property damage.

All major mobile network carriers (Docomo, KDDI, Softbank) are experiencing network capacity problems. Users are encouraged to use and check their voice message services in order to contact relatives.

Anyone near the coastal areas, please remain safely away from low areas near the water for at least 24 hours. There are recurring tsunamis that will continue until at least tomorrow.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
May as well post up my updates from Facebook for you to see:
Chris says....
3:41 Holy FUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!
3:56 Its still shaking in chiba. School I'm shooting in is shifting. Theres a CRACK in the dirt... Again, holy fuck
4:08 Fuck its going again!!!!!!
4:12 Someone report in on the fires please
4:21 IT'S SHAKING AGAIN WTF?!?!?!?!
4:30 Live footage of the disaster in Tokyo: http://www.ustream.tv/channel/tokyo-livestream (I know it's a picture of Gundam but it's a link to a video stream)
4:36 Phones are out still - SOFTBANK SHUT DOWN THEIR SERVICE TO "ENSURE SAFETY"! WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH YOU SOFTBANK!?!??!?!
4:44 Most of Central-Chiba is dark - lights are out
4:56 I see houses as we drive by with candle-light showing through - good thing it's not winter.
5:01 If you are trying to call people in Tokyo use (03) numbers. Mobile networks still down. (Thanks for this, Anthony)
5:14 (NOW!@ IT'S GOING AGAIN! YES!! AGAIN!!!! #chiba

ryuuga

みうみうの恋人
Super Moderator
Apr 2, 2007
Oh man!

We have a few A-O contributors who are living in Japan! I hope they are safe.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
hope the casualties are small

I wouldn't want to put my money on that. This sounds pretty bad. Nothing wrong with hoping though. My prayers go out to them this day.

Xcaliber9999

May 10, 2009
Just saw the news ...OMG

Flood, Tsunami, Fire in oil refinery factories, blackout, metro stations are shut down ...what destruction, so much damage

I pray and hope this will be over soon

stonedpanda

Aug 27, 2010
i live in hawaii and we have a major tsunami warning right now the officials said it might happen in a couple of hours. Been hearing the tsunami sirens my hearts go out to the people of japan

dora

Feb 20, 2007
Earthquakes not stop(magnitude 3~5)
information is Confuse
Japan has many earthquakes But so large the earthquake is the first time
The tsunami flooded many towns

johnrama

Nov 23, 2008
:furious: my 2nd loved country i just finished praying for the japan people hope all my JAV Idols are ok I Love Japan! And Japan will stand up Again no matter how many tsunamis hit it! :cheer:

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
I hope you are well though. Please keep us informed about the news available.

PatricVadec

Revolutionist
Dec 25, 2008
Hey guys let pray for our Japanese brothers.

Aljazeera news, reports at least 200 bodies founded in north east cost area. May god save them and hope all our favorite AV actresses be save from this disaster.

no__One

May 27, 2007
I'm all heart with our Japanese friends. This is terrible news. I sincerely hope it will have a minimum of casualties.
I am truly touched to see how we are vulnerable and so little outburst against the forces of nature.