Documentary exploring the scientific factors behind the
magnitude 9 earthquake and the resultant tsunami that
struck Japan on March 11. Professor of geological
sciences Roger Bilham views the effects of the
devastation from the air, and journalist Callum Macrae
travels to the north of the country, where survivors in the
fishing villages Sendai and Ofunato are struggling to
cope in the aftermath

I will gladly post the torrent link if the admins/mods give the go ahead.

(edit) I can't hang out so I will post the torrent link and the admins/mods can remove it if it is deemed necessary. All credit for torrent goes to scenebalance, (and their annoying .rar posts but it was the best source available at the time of posting).

suggest adding these trackers although DHT will probably work just fine:
Code:
http://tracker.publicbt.com:80/announce

http://tracker.prq.to/announce

http://tracker.istole.it/announce

http://tracker.irc.su/announce

http://eztv.tracker.prq.to/announce

http://tv.tracker.prq.to/announce

http://tracker.ilibr.org:6969/announce

http://pow7.com/announce

http://tracker.csze.com:80/announce

gyoza ramen & a beer

Feb 20, 2009
Thanks to Ceewan for bringing this to our attention.

For those interested in downloading the documentary, here are links:

http://d01.megashares.com/index.php?d01=ba997a6

http://bitshare.com/files/z4yx3p3f/Japans.Tsunami.How.It.Happened.2011.WS.PDTV.XviD-FTP.avi.html

If you want/need a fileserve link, PM me, but the ones above should offer comparable d/l speed.

Since it's a 549mb file, don't bother with any Filesonic single links for this, you'll just end up with their you-gotta-buy-a-premium-membership bullshit message. :payup:

KoChun

Feb 18, 2007
Death toll tops 10,000 but nuke crisis hampers search
Estimated 240,000 people sheltering in 1,900 evacuation centers
Kyodo News

The official death toll from the Tohoku earthquake and tsunami topped 10,000 on Friday, while around 240,000 people continue to seek shelter in some 1,900 evacuation centers.

According to the National Police Agency, more than 27,000 people had been confirmed dead or missing as of noon Friday, comprising 10,035 deaths and 17,443 unaccounted for.

The full extent of loss of life is still unclear, as search efforts in Fukushima Prefecture have been hampered by the crisis at the Fukushima No. 1 nuclear plant, which is leaking radiation.

Police in Miyagi Prefecture meanwhile believe the sea will yield more bodies.

Damage to buildings and roads is estimated at between ¥16 trillion and ¥25 trillion.

Miyagi police have posted information on their website about more than 2,000 recovered bodies, including details of clothing, in hopes of identifying them.

With the number of bodies collected far exceeding the authorities' capacity to cremate them all, Miyagi and Iwate prefectures are forgoing tradition and have started burials. In Higashimatsushima, Miyagi Prefecture, nearly 100 bodies have already been buried.

In Iwate, Miyagi and Fukushima prefectures, autopsies have been completed on some 9,890 bodies, of which 6,890 have been identified and 6,320 returned to their families.

While highways and ports in the disaster-hit areas have reopened, part of the bullet train service on the Tohoku Shinkansen Line remains suspended with no clear time frame for resumption. In addition, 55 sewage plants remain disabled.

Meanwhile, aftershocks have continued to jolt survivors of the disaster, and the Meteorological Agency is forecasting a 20 percent chance of an aftershock with a magnitude of more than 7.0 striking through Sunday.

In a fresh move to assist survivors, the Hiroshima prefectural board of education informed its Miyagi counterpart that it can accept around 150 elementary school children and 10 teachers for one year at two school buildings that are not in use in the city of Etajima.

As it will be difficult to host their families as well, the children would be put up at a nearby public accommodation facility.

Akitakata, another city in Hiroshima, is also preparing to accept around 80 elementary school students so they can continue their studies, the board of education said.

The nuclear crisis, meanwhile, led authorities to issue temporary warnings in Tokyo, as well as cities in Fukushima, Ibaraki, Chiba, Saitama and Tochigi prefectures on Thursday calling on people not to give tap water to infants due to contamination from radioactive iodine.

Tokyo has lifted its warning.

from The Japan Times Online http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nn20110326a3.html

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Holy crap on a stick! OK for anyone STILL paying attention, we had a M6 just hit us about 5 minutes ago. So much so in-fact that my building is STILL swaing slightly.

It was a M6
There is a .5 meter tsunami expected to hit most of the East coast-line of the main island Honshu within 10 minutes.

Oh, and for those keeping tabs, today is the one month anniversary.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Update:
Japanese Magnitude: 6
US Magnitude Equivalent: 7.1

Tsunami will hit Ibaraki within the next 4 minutes.
Epicenter was 10km deep.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Interesting, first one was a 7.1, second was a 4, third (biggish one) was a 5.6.
Epicenter was 10km deep UNDER JAPANESE SOIL, not in the ocean.

We are having a fourth shaker right now, it's rocking slightly, but nothing huge. One tsunami has already hit, no damage reported thus far.

UPDATED TIMES:
Chiba Tsunami will hit at 6pm, in 24 minutes.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
ANNNNND another one right now at 5:46pm, building is shaking gently and getting annoying as hell.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
Yikes, Ibaraki's tsunami will be 1 meter.

edit

Getting shook again, enough to slosh the water back and forth. Annnnnnnd it's still going.... STILL frucking going. ----- God damnit to hell.

ok, that last one went on for about 2 minutes.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
6:06pm Ibaraki-ken, again under ground, not under water, just shook things off the lower shelves...
M4 this time.

chippy

Satyagrahi
Feb 10, 2008
A friend gave me this link. It's a graphic showing recorded magnitudes as of quarter after five today (Japan time) and it's...well, it's graphic.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Just had another big earthquake. 8:08am. Centered around northeast Chiba. Japanese scale M5 (weak).

Update: magnitude 6.3, off the coast of northeast Chiba.

M3 shaking felt far into Tokyo, and up towards Ibaraki and parts of Fukushima.

Tokyo Metro has temporarily suspended all subway service, and several JR lines are also stopped.

aquamarine

I Know Better Than You
Mar 19, 2007
We were struck by a 5.X mid-afternoon around 2:30pm. I was in a govn't office main floor and the entire structure shook like smack-talking booty.

Tokyo Metro has returned to normal as of 9:16am this morning and the only lines to experience a longer period of down-time was the Keisei, Joban and Narita lines, all going to Chiba where the epicenter from this mornings quake was focused.

Briefly at 5:00pm (there-abouts), the entire Tokyo Metro and private lines shut down for a period of 8 minutes due to a M4 that struck Nagano. The epicenter is getting closer to Tokyo... yikes.

Fuzzypeach

Dec 12, 2009
At this point if a day goes by without a shake I'll be happy. That one yesterday shook the shit out of the building I was working in. I have gotten the moment of "Oh shit" to the "I hope this doesn't last for longer than a minute". Unfortunately as I walk I feel as if I am on the high seas. Glad I am still here though, too much bullshit in the U.S to deal with. Stay safe friends living in JP and rise again Japan.

Rhinosaur

Outside Context Problem
Sep 23, 2007
There will be aftershocks for months to come!
We've been having them daily, 7 months after ours!! Nearly 6,500 so far!

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
I want to ask how the Fukushima reactors are doing. On another forum I frequent, there's one particular member who claims to be living in Japan, and is going on and on about meltdowns and how the whole thing is gonna end up like Chernobyl. TEPCO hasn't released anything reporting anything like that, but BBC has reported that the IAEA severity level has been raised to 7.

Which, of course, doesn't mean that the level of damage of the aftermath will be anything like Chernobyl's, but rather that the area of effect will be similar to Chernobyl's.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
TEPCO has reported on everything, it's just that they report in Japanese to Japanese media first and foremost, and can't be bothered to spend extra time to translate everything into English for the foreign media.

The INES scale depends on a lot of factors, such as the presence of leaks, the methods by which leaking took place, what sort of radioactive materials were released, the timing of the crisis, the nature of the crisis, and so on; not just the size of the affected area. The revision of the Fukushima accident to a level 7 indicates that Fukushima is considered a "major accident", not that Fukushima is "as bad as Chernobyl".

For what it's worth, many experts have reported that the total amount of radiation released so far is 1/100th that of Chernobyl, and for the situation to come anywhere near that of Chernobyl would require some highly unimaginable circumstances in light of the already-devastating earthquake and tsunami. Moreover, the WHO and other organizations monitoring radiation levels have stated that the increase to INES level 7 does not mean radiation levels outside of the original 40km evacuation zone are any worse than they were before the INES level increase.

As for the exact state of the reactors, I believe the Fukushima wikipedia article is usually up-to-date, and with cited references from reputable sources, so you can check there for information.

spikier

JAPAN:みんなのあい
Nov 13, 2008
one tough reality that is hard to accept is the fact that many Japanese people who were swept into that tsunami will never be found. its a very hard reality to swallow, but nothing can be done.

in a way, i sorta regret ever getting so attached to japan & its people; but i suppose that falling in love can't be help either.

thank you, to all who continue to update us with some in dept of news on japan.

i really don't like to rely on news from America; yeah, i know it seem absurd to say something like that when I'm relying on news from strangers online.

but i feel i can trust the strangers... to an extent.

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
i really don't like to rely on news from America; yeah, i know it seem absurd to say something like that when I'm relying on news from strangers online.

One of the weird things about the internet is that you can sometimes get incredibly accurate info and well tempered advice from completely unexpected places.

I'd say the info from "strangers" on this site is believable because its pretty damn consistent.

At any rate, here's hoping to a speedy resolution to the situation. Stay strong, guys. :bow-pray:

kraidazen

Death Emperor
Feb 12, 2009
i consider fukushima as a "weak 7" compared to chernobyl's "terrifying 7" since i have heard the horror stories of the extent of chernobyl's damage from my father who was in kiev at that time

that said, i'm praying for a speedy resolution of this crisis.

Freedom Kira

Rawr™
Jun 19, 2009
Thanks, guy. That's good info. Sometimes I feel like you're keeping the sanity. Like a peacekeeper with a different target.

Funny you say that, since I'm sure you don't personally know any newscasters that you'd otherwise gets news from, either. =P

Or perhaps "strangers" isn't quite the right word?