Lossy unDRM software recommendations?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

wanderingwarrior

Mar 11, 2010
Hello, I thought about making a new thread for this, but I'll post this here first:
I have a video from XCREAM that has DRM on it. I'm on a Mac, so it will not play for me. I can send a link to download the video, I just need someone to remove the DRM and send it back to me (I already visited MaxJav. The guy said he couldn't remove XCREAM DRM right now.) Please let me know if you can help out.
Thanks.

desioner

Sustaining L.I.F.E.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Nov 22, 2006
I can also UN-DRM things too. Please note the quality is not as good as the original in any case. Searching my post history will turn up a few examples of my work.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
Apparently WMP support is still working for DMM/R18, but of course it's unknown for how long. Maybe it was intentional to mark the last 15 days as "working but not guaranteed" as a preparation for actual server shutdown. Or maybe they will left it working until server certificate expires.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
Ignore my last post. From what I can see, not only video files from new videos come with updated format (which is incompatible with WMP due to header/codec issues), but some older videos also come with new format now, which may mean their intention to convert most of their files at some point.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
WMP is one of the only video player that can play DRM files so I doubt the new ones won't work with it. I'm assuming you mean it doesn't work with the specific versions that were previously used to remove DRM from them.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
I can't confirm all of this for 100% since checking everything would need some serious effort, but here is what it looks like: 1. videos added since 2015.07.01 won't work in WMP, it will refuse to initialize the playback. 2. new purchases of videos that were released before 2015.07.01 may not work with WMP either. 3. new files of some old video may be not possible to decrypt with previously valid keys. 4. this all may be different for r18 purchases. 5. if they planned the process of converting everything to the new format, it likely already started but may take weeks or months to complete. 6. fresh downloads from old purchases of old videos may not work with WMP if/after the said process is complete.

If this all is correct, people may get lucky with new purchases that would work with WMP, but not for long.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Which version of WMP are you talking about? Or is WMP not standing for Windows Media Player?
From what you're saying, it sounds like people who buy them legitimately can't even watch them. They should play with the latest version of WMP and I'm assuming there's a good chance it's still possible to rip them the lossy way since all the software need is to play the video back and not remove the DRM encryption that way.

Mar 28, 2008
Theres a DMM player, with the new DRM encryption they have put on, you get a wmv file when you download to your comp but isntead of being able to play it in WMP you have to play it on the DMM player now.

When trying to play a DRM wmv file in WMP it will seek out the license and then proceed to play it. Now it doesnt do that.

In order to play a wmv drm file you must use DMM player lol.

At this point it matter not what type of file it is, its all about having the right keys to get rid of this DRM.

So yes, you're basically buying something that is a wmv file that you cant even play on WMP right now.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Wow, that's just horrible and a PITA.

There's even less of a chance I'm ever gonna buy digital stuff now.

Mar 28, 2008
Wow, that's just horrible and a PITA.

There's even less of a chance I'm ever gonna buy digital stuff now.
Yeah, it is fucking weird. I thought they were going to change their file container along with their new DRM they were putting on.

Its a wmv file you cant even play on WMP cause of the new DRM it has lol.

Good news is, once someone gets the keys to decrypt the new DRM, the file will be wmv just like it has been every other time when UNDRM lossly before.

Pretty much everything is the same just needs new keys.

Though, im not sure how long someone will be able to bypass this new DRM.

R18.com

Jun 29, 2015
This is a Microsoft issue.

Microsoft is not giving support to WMDRM any more so DMM/R18.com needed to move to a different technology that is PlayReady.
Even PlayReady is a Microsoft technology Microsoft WMP does not play WMV playready files.
For this reason DMM created a player to be able to play PLayReady files that are not supported by Microsoft.

From now on to watch movies from R18.com you need R Player and to watch movies from DMM you need the DMM PLayer.

Reactions: Casshern2

g7151660

Jul 17, 2015
The only mention of someone being able to defeat PlayReady I can find is this paper which even gives some (probably outdated) information about how it works. Looks like the software has not been made available publicly. Someone has developed a similar tool though I imagine it would have to be used in a different way than in the provided example since the paper mentions the decryption routine getting relocated constantly. The other problem is that the tool uses QEMU without KVM which is extremely slow (probably won't be able to play the video in real time) making it a hassle to record execution flow of the complete playback. Just playing back a few seconds of the video and analyzing the execution to extract the decryption key would probably be a more practical solution, assuming PlayReady decrypts the whole file with a single key.

Edit: the first link disappeared

Last edited:
Reactions: genl

masterroy13

Apr 9, 2015
Does anyone have xcream videos and tried to play using xcream player (since wmp doesn't work anymore)? The new player never starts up for me and while I see in my tasks in tskmanager, it goes away in like 3 seconds

Windows 7
No antivirus or firewall preventing it.

Edit: Realized that perhaps I needed Microsoft Silverlight to run it ><.

Last edited:

mago

熟女♥️
Jul 3, 2008
Dude, you shouldnt have wasted your time. There are people who will do lossless undrm for you for free, hell theres a blog that will do it for free, as many as you want.?

Can you tell me what blog are you talking about please? i have been trying to un-drm some videos i have but it seeems impossible.:(

lollers1

Jul 2, 2014
Can you tell me what blog are you talking about please? i have been trying to un-drm some videos i have but it seeems impossible.:(

I can do near flawless un-drm for you or anyone if needed. Requires me to capture and transcode so it takes some time, but the quality will be basically transparent to your original. PM me if interested.