Lossy unDRM software recommendations?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
I can now offer a better process for decryption which I think should work just fine.
- You need to share login-pass, download the tool (500kb) and run it with the code I give, 1 code per file. This way you get them decrypted locally.
- I don't need to download full videos or upload them back. I can get it done very fast when I'm free.

You should have the videos already downloaded before decrypting. I will only provide the codes for max quality files, unless requested otherwise.

Message me if interested.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Quite frankly, having to share my login/pass would be a deal breaker for me if I had one.

Mar 28, 2008
Quite frankly, having to share my login/pass would be a deal breaker for me if I had one.
Thats how that guy from that one blog does it.

No problems ever.

I guess since we dont know who this guy is, its a bit of a risk.

But we all gotta start somewhere right?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I know and I also wouldn't give it to the guy from the blog.

But as I said, that's me and I wouldn't buy that kind of account anyway since the quality of the videos is not good enough in my opinion.

Mar 28, 2008
I know and I also wouldn't give it to the guy from the blog.

But as I said, that's me and I wouldn't buy that kind of account anyway since the quality of the videos is not good enough in my opinion.
What kind of account are we referring to ? :lii:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
One from a site like DMM where they sell/rent video with DRM. If it's not that account they need, I have no idea of what else could possibly be needed for unDRMing videos.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
In case that helps anyone, it's possible to change password and remove/change most of personal information in the account before sharing it.

As for quality, I agree - on dmm it could be far better with that bitrate they provide. I suggest to only buy full-hd videos (they are >4gb usually), at least they look better than any dvd-rip.

Mar 28, 2008
In case that helps anyone, it's possible to change password and remove/change most of personal information in the account before sharing it.

As for quality, I agree - on dmm it could be far better with that bitrate they provide. I suggest to only buy full-hd videos (they are >4gb usually), at least they look better than any dvd-rip.

Everything new that they offer on DMM is better and most of it is in FHD. Most.(Stuff strictly owned by DMM)

Better quality than a DVD rip.

I'll keep in touch with you if I ever need your services genl

PToadstool

Dec 9, 2009
Just finished up with genl to remove the DRM from my R18 files. His method worked and everything seems to be on the up-and-up. Only problem was I couldn't seek the wmv files in MPC-HC but worked fine in Windows Media Player and VLC, but after re-indexing them by remuxing with SolveigMM Video Splitter they played back perfectly. So just putting it out there if anyone is wary.

Mar 28, 2008
Just finished up with genl to remove the DRM from my R18 files. His method worked and everything seems to be on the up-and-up. Only problem was I couldn't seek the wmv files in MPC-HC but worked fine in Windows Media Player and VLC, but after re-indexing them by remuxing with SolveigMM Video Splitter they played back perfectly. So just putting it out there if anyone is wary.
There reason that is, if you remove DRM from videos on DMM, you would be able to seek through them in your MPC-HC.

The videos from R18 are every bit as good as DMM. Only, when taking off the DRM, videos from R18 have some sort of extra encoding in them. That once you are done taking the DRM , you wont be able to seek through them in MPC-HC.

But they will play marvelously in Windows Media Player.

Theres no need to remux or whatever you did since playing these files in Windows Media Player is like the best suited for playing wmv files.

Just letting one know out there.

If you take DRM from videos on R18 , you wont be able to seek through them in players like MPC-HC

If you take DRM from videos on DMM, you will be able to seek through them on MPC-HC

genl

Feb 2, 2015
Files from r18 = files from dmm, they don't have anything extra, just different encryption/decryption keys.

Seeking problem is trivial for protected files, and there are codecs that can properly seek through them without re-indexing (e.g. LAV filters work fine for me).

I will also be sending a re-indexing tool (asfbin) along with better decryption batch script, so the process for file owner is fully automated now.

Mar 28, 2008
Files from r18 = files from dmm, they don't have anything extra, just different encryption/decryption keys.

Seeking problem is trivial for protected files, and there are codecs that can properly seek through them without re-indexing (e.g. LAV filters work fine for me).

I will also be sending a re-indexing tool (asfbin) along with better decryption batch script, so the process for file owner is fully automated now.
Point being is.

Movies from R18 and DMM are the same.

But when you remove DRM from one obtain on R18, you get a seeking problem if trying to play in player like MPC-HC

Playing it in windows media player gives no problem. Plus, wmv files should always be played in the the dedicated player meant for them.

genl

Feb 2, 2015
But when you remove DRM from one obtain on R18, you get a seeking problem if trying to play in player like MPC-HC
Wrong, as far as I'm aware. They are same and will have same seeking problem when dealt with the same way.

Plus, wmv files should always be played in the the dedicated player meant for them.
I disagree. People should use video players they like. And 3rd party video players and codecs can work well with wmv.

Mar 28, 2008
Wrong, as far as I'm aware. They are same and will have same seeking problem when dealt with the same way.
Wrong, I have confirmed this with someone who does this as well.

Gets the seeking problem with R18.com videos

Doesnt get it with DMM videos.

Videos from both sites are great. One isnt better than the other when playing. So no one should worry.

But you will get a seeking error from R18.com when you take away the DRM.
I disagree. People should use video players they like. And 3rd party video players and codecs can work well with wmv.
Yeah, people can use whatever they want, but the best for FHD wmv is the dedicated player made for that type of file.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Yeah, people can use whatever they want, but the best for FHD wmv is the dedicated player made for that type of file.
It would be less troublesome to use the dedicated player made for that file, but you won't get the best quality that way.

With the many open source video related projects out there, you can fine tune many option to get the best quality for your eyes since different people are affected differently by some artifacts produced by different steps during video decoding.
If you're using a player that supports the madvr renderer, it doesn't take shortcuts like every other renderers out there so it's already better than any dedicated video player out there.
And in the case of windows media player, it's a directshow player so you can use the exact same codecs in any other directshow based video player like mpchc and the likes(not VLC or mplayer though).

As for the seeking problem, R18.com may be using a different version of the wmv container that's slightly different and the decryption tool wasn't made for it so it's screwing up the container somehow which a re-muxing will fix without any trouble.
It's only a theory though since I don't know the inner workings of any of them.

Different decoders have different workarounds for some commons problems(not all tools produce up to spec containers) so some people might not even notice there's a seeking problem while others might, depending on what they use to play the files.

Mar 28, 2008
It would be less troublesome to use the dedicated player made for that file, but you won't get the best quality that way.

With the many open source video related projects out there, you can fine tune many option to get the best quality for your eyes since different people are affected differently by some artifacts produced by different steps during video decoding.
If you're using a player that supports the madvr renderer, it doesn't take shortcuts like every other renderers out there so it's already better than any dedicated video player out there.
And in the case of windows media player, it's a directshow player so you can use the exact same codecs in any other directshow based video player like mpchc and the likes(not VLC or mplayer though).

As for the seeking problem, R18.com may be using a different version of the wmv container that's slightly different and the decryption tool wasn't made for it so it's screwing up the container somehow which a re-muxing will fix without any trouble.
It's only a theory though since I don't know the inner workings of any of them.

Different decoders have different workarounds for some commons problems(not all tools produce up to spec containers) so some people might not even notice there's a seeking problem while others might, depending on what they use to play the files.
Essentially even the player combined with the codec is the best for wmv files. Especially with files that were undrm from R18 because playing in there gives you no seeking issue. You can seek to your hearts content. And furthermore, the seeking from R18 videos is way faster than ones from DMM. Its weird.

You can try using the wmv codec in MPC-HC all you want for R18 videos, but you wont be able to seek.

And yeah remuxing is a thing to do. Though, im not sure how it works, is it reencoding the file? Risk of losing frames? Quality?

If you want to tweak things because you want something brighter or darker or whatever it might be then thats getting into a little more of a custom blah blah stuff.

And we will see if this guy can identify what is different with DMM and R18 videos. Once he undrms a DMM video.

That video I shared with you was from DMM. I have compared all the specs of a DMM video and R18 video but nothing is different(same container and all that jazz). I really dont have a program that can dig even deeper into whats in the video itself.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Do you have an example of an R18 video available somewhere(for a free user) where the seeking doesn't work? I'd be curious to test that theory.

Also, it's not just about tweaking things that makes other players a better choice.
Using madvr as an example, it does all of it's calculations with high numbers to decrease the amount of rounding that occurs in every calculations so the image will look truer to what was intended. For example, pretty much every commercially available video need to have the colors resized on playback to fit with the actual image so if you round up too much, the colors may not be aligned quite properly in the end.
It also does other technical stuff that always happen for every single video in much better ways(at the price of requiring a more powerful pc).

Re-muxing is taking what's inside the container(usually the video and audio track) and putting it inside another container(could simply be another wmv container for a wmv file). There's no quality loss whatsoever since the actual video and audio aren't touched.

Mar 28, 2008
Do you have an example of an R18 video available somewhere(for a free user) where the seeking doesn't work? I'd be curious to test that theory.

Also, it's not just about tweaking things that makes other players a better choice.
Using madvr as an example, it does all of it's calculations with high numbers to decrease the amount of rounding that occurs in every calculations so the image will look truer to what was intended. For example, pretty much every commercially available video need to have the colors resized on playback to fit with the actual image so if you round up too much, the colors may not be aligned quite properly in the end.
It also does other technical stuff that always happen for every single video in much better ways(at the price of requiring a more powerful pc).

Re-muxing is taking what's inside the container(usually the video and audio track) and putting it inside another container(could simply be another wmv container for a wmv file). There's no quality loss whatsoever since the actual video and audio aren't touched.
I will try to upload one for you later on. And pm you the link.

Still sounds like its just custom settings to the users liking. I wouldnt mind tweaking if it was some sort of other file that was encoded like you have explained. But something that is lossless undrm original FHD wmv, thats like final level there, dont see the purpose.

You sure it doesnt deter the quality? Sounds like it isnt instant and it would take like 30 minutes or something.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Thanks.

Every player needs a renderer(what madvr is). You can say it's tweaking in the sense that you need to choose it first to enable it, but after that, it does some things better than other renderer even if you don't touch any of its settings(or even if you do).
Even your lossless FHD wmv has its color stored at 1/4th of the video resolution and needs to be resized during playback(every single player will have to do this to play it properly). There's also a few more things that always need to be done when displaying the video like dithering and stuff like that that will slightly alter the image and some renderers will do this in a way you'll notice less than others resulting in a better picture.

I'm sure, it's exactly like losslessly removing the DRM, it doesn't alter the video or audio in any way and it only takes a couple of secs.