Lossy unDRM software recommendations?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

fastbk

Sep 7, 2009
Since fairuse4wmv no longer works, is there any lossy unDRM software to recommend?

I tried the AimerSof one, but the quality was just aweful. :lolidunno:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I never heard of any where you can play with the settings enough to get something decent.

I tried the most popular one I could find about a year ago(I'm blanking out on the name and can't find the installer anymore) and it was awful.

Ideally, you'd want something that could encode to a lossless format and then use whatever else you want to do the final encode, but that doesn't exist as far as I know.

My advice to try and find something decent would be to stay away from all the software that market themselves as being faster than the others. You can't rush quality and that's pretty mush all they try to do with awful results.

savajex

pretty girl lover
Aug 11, 2012
Yep, everything SamKook said. I've tried practically everything out there and they're all variations of Aimersoft, iSkysoft, etc. You won't find any lossless options.

Slow and steady wins the race.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Someone asked me for help on that subject not long ago and after doing a bit of new research and trying a few softwares, I found that Audials One is pretty great(in theory at least, I couldn't test the full version which actually let you use the many different encoding settings available).

I was able to choose the settings I would use to reencode a video file if it didn't have DRM on it(h264 using CRF and the quality of my choosing) so I would definitely recommend to give it a try. The catch is that I think it needs to encode in realtime(at least that's what I understood since it complained my test pc was too slow which wouldn't happen otherwise) so you need a pretty good PC if you want to use high quality settings.
It also seem to need to be able to display the video properly for it to work. I got pretty much exactly what as saw in the resulting test file I tried and since it was over RDP on a remote VPS, the result wasn't great.
On a local, decent enough pc, I'm sure greatness could be achieved with it.
I think it might even be possible to encode to a lossless format, but I'm not sure enough to guarantee it. This would produce a huge file though since it's a reencode and not a DRM removal option, but you could then use your software of choice with settings as slow as you want to encode it to a final version.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
All the others I tried were absolutely horrible so I was quite surprised when I saw that one.

I just hope it's as good in practice as it seem in theory.

About aimersoft, I haven't tried it but with the following in big letters on their webpage "Super speed, 100% original quality, remove DRM only in 1 simple step!", I would run away as fast as I could from it without even giving it a try so your "meh" doesn't surprise me.

lollers1

Jul 2, 2014
I'm trying/have bought Audials for DMM/r18 HD videos. Even with a high end PC, it seems to be a bit of a challenge to do a capture without some frames dropping. I think I'm getting pretty close though. If anyone has had any luck with 100% flawless captures, I'd like to know!

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
What settings are you using for the output file?

I don't remember the options, but going straight for a final high quality file might be too much for realtime encoding, but using a fast lossless format(like Huffyuv if that's available, I seem to remember there was at least one lossless format, but can't remember which it was) as a temporary file might work better, it will only need a lot of temporary disk space and doing the encoding in two step(the second step using another software).

I wish I had access to DRM stuff to test it on.

Mar 28, 2008
Ive asked Samkook on this subject many times. Hes told me the same thing he has said in this thread.

BUT

Apparently, there are ways or there is a way to do lossless un-drm. But apparently anyone who knows anything about it is closed lipped on that subject. There is someone who runs an HD JAV blog who claims to be able to do lossless-unDRM. And from the looks of it, its true.

lollers1

Jul 2, 2014
What settings are you using for the output file?

Using the recommended fast h264 setting. I have wanted to capture losslessly as you say, but I cannot see any codec/setting to do so. I might ask Audials.

As for there being a proper way to losslessly remove DRM, or just strip the DRM from the original file, I have no doubt that someone has a way, and I can understand why they'd be staying quite about it. I just want non-drm copies of what I've paid for!

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I'd expect fast h264 settings to work fine so that's weird.

h264 has a lossless mode(well, if they use x264 at least, not sure about others. Setting the CRF to 0 and maybe a couple of tweaks, I never used it so I'm not sure what's needed to enable it, but a quick google search should tell you) so if you don't see anything else, that might be what I remember.

The current problem with doing lossless un-drm is getting the licence key from the drm server, the actual un-drm operation should be a cinch after that, even today, but mirakagi which is the key-finder that comes with Fairuse4wm has not been working for a while.
After hearing about the guy who run that HD blog, I did a little digging and found drmdbg which has a version from 2009(2 years after fairuse4wm stopped being updated) and no mention of it not working so there might be hope for it if you find a copy that works with a specific version of a windows media player that you can also manage to install(which shouldn't be too hard).
I was planning on giving it a try in the near future if I can find some free content which is DRM enabled.

Last edited:

lollers1

Jul 2, 2014
There isn't really any lossless mode like that in Audials (doesn't have x264 codec option btw).

This is really annoying. DMM/r18.com has HD versions of releases that are otherwise only out on DVD/DVD quality elsewhere. I cannot find any way to play the DRM files in linux without doing something stupid like running a windows virtual machine, which is completely ridiculous.

I did try drmdbg/fairuse4wm etc in an XP virtual machine, but had no luck. It looks like the WMV files request a newer version of the protection to play, and it can't (as far as I know) be cracked with the known released versions of those apps.

I guess you could use a hardware capture card and play the video on one machine, then record it on another PC with a capture card, I figure that would work losslessly without any frame drop, but at this stage it's far too much effort. I doubt I'll bother buying from DMM/r18.com anymore, rather I'll just put up with DVD releases, unless I can figure something out.

I'll try capturing just a normal DVD res movie with Audials and see if it's any different.

When I get a chance I'll share my capture. I'm sure some would consider it fine, it's not like crazy amounts of dropped frames, but it seems like maybe 2 a minute or so. I personally do notice it as the motion does not seem as it should be.

Last edited:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
I'm pretty sure you could create a custom entry with the settings you want since I remember thinking I could use the exact settings I wanted to. I'll install it in a VM tonight and give it a look since my memory is terrible.

lollers1

Jul 2, 2014
I emailed one of the JAV blogs that source vids and remove DRM. I was told "The method I use is not the traditional undrm method. I'm not using an old XP machine to deal with titles, or capture software. The method I use is lossless"

I do believe there is a way to strip the DRM without re encoding, but it's not public, which makes sense. The guys charging for the vids would not just release the method.

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
If he doesn't use the traditional undrm method, I'm skeptical that it's really lossless since the traditional method is to remove the drm period(unless his non-traditional method is very similar to that).

So I installed audials one to check what the lossless possibility I was seeing was and it turns out it was the "command line options" feature when you create a custom profile.
After finding out that it uses ffmpeg for the video conversion for mp4, I tried a couple of things in v10(I don't have a complete v11, only the demo which can't encode using h264), but either the software freeze or it gives a conversion error.
Since that feature doesn't seem to be documented anywhere, I'm guessing I'm missing some parameters somewhere and short of asking them how it works, it would be a pretty tedious job to figure it out.

pc0999x

Feb 15, 2008
I have been using Tunebite for a long time now and it does the job perfectly! It's not freeware and the current price is £14.90 for Tunebite 11 Premium. (tunebite.co.uk).
Tunebite is part of Audials but I found the Audials package too involving and deleted it. Tunebite stands on its own without all the crap of Audials. Try the free trial first, not sure how much you can do on that though.
You can input as many files as you want from (as far as I know) and convert them to any file formant you want in a choice of quality settings. This also removes the DRM.
I have converted many many files from DMM & Sokmil with every completed without problem. I usually leave it working overnight and it will shut down the computer when it's finished.
Most of the files I convert are WMV and I usually convert them to WMV9 or WMV7 but you can convert them to AVI, MKV, H264 and many more.
Hope this may help

Reactions: dafuck

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It's far from any format you want though since it's the exact same as what's in audials One which is the problem. Unless you know what one must write in the command line option to get the other ffmpeg formats.
Also, where do you see mkv as an available container? It's not listed when you try to create a custom profile.

Good to know though, I didn't know there was a standalone install of the converter(their product list is kind of confusing).

pc0999x

Feb 15, 2008
Sokmil uses wmv files and I only d/load HD (1920x1080) as that's all I'm interested in and I want a 'lossless' conversion. In Tunebite 11, load a file or files you have d/loaded from Sokmil and choose what format to convert them to. I am happy to keep them as wmv so I choose wmv9-match original file size. This gives you an exact copy of the files but without drm. You can also convert them to mpeg4, avi (in xvid or h264) in what ever size you want, it's your choice.
I personaly prefer to close down all open programs (exept my internet security) and run them at night. The way I convert them takes as long as the file plays for, so if it's a 3 hour film, it takes 3 hours to convert. I load about 7 hours worth of files and tick the box to shut down the computer when its finished. To convert to other formats or sizes may take less time, but I haven't tried it.
I'm sorry to SamKook, I thought Tunebite converted to mkv but I was wrong. Sorry about that.
Regards.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
not my field of expertise but I do like to go torrent diving. I know someone already said Aimersoft wasn't doing the trick for them but it is one of the most downloaded applications that "claims" to do the task:

Aimersoft DRM Media Converter 1.4

small file too, only 11.84mb

genl

Feb 2, 2015
I'd like to assist people who want to get lossless drm-free versions of their wmv files. My first priority currently is hq videos from dmm/r18 (seems like they have biggest collection of censored av ever produced). I'd like to see more lossless WMV uploads.

Message me with details about account (required; you may change password before sharing) and a list of videos (just list of id is fine) you want. And let me know if you are able to use Windows machine.

From what I can see, the forum supports private messaging via conversations. If there is an issue with them not being private, I'll provide something else for contacting me, like tox id or irc details.