Zeitgeist Addendum 2008

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
I just recently seen this video, and a bit late I guess.
I have to say I'm pretty impressed with the idea of a resource based economy and technology driven, as apposed to one that bases the value of products and services off of scarcity.
It just makes sense to me.

To comment, please watch the movie all the way to the end once, maybe twice. The film is about 2 hours. I'm wondering what others think; Do you think a resource based economy could be a possible success if the entire world could embrace this ideology? The idea seems a little scarey if you're from the west. This is because, as the movie points out - society has a natural tendency to protect the institutions that shape their lives. I'm viewing the second movie now. It's a fascinating perspective. How can a private institution like the Federal Reserve have so much power?

Zeitgeist Addendum 2008
Code:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EewGMBOB4Gg

Code:
http://www.zeitgeistaddendum.com/

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
I don't have two hours, but I have a master's in Economics. The free market economy is the best...

There are people in the movie who have PHds, If that levels things.
We also have people with masters and PHds running the US economy, yet we still have people starving in the streets. If you don't have two hours, then what are you basing your argument on?

The Movie(s), Part 1 and 2 is not just a cut against the monetary system, it gets into environmental effects on human development, the institutions that mold our decisions, the effects of commercials.. and the supply of resources and the future outlook, the false theory on DNS effects ..just to name a few in layman's terms. I don't have a Masters, but my senses beg to ask the question; If the Free-Market is really free, and we have control over our debt, then why do we pay interest on fiat (fake) money because some privately owned organization we call the Federal Reserve says we have to? Come on man, when ever someone finds out how to make a car run on something other than gas, and oil, the government buys up all the patents, or someone disappears. And all the watch dogs get kicked off TV for no apparent reason. Something's crooked. We have proven technology that can produce energy hundreds of times over and we don't use it, why? Because the little guy doesn't have the money to pay lobbyists who make a few people in poor country's wealthy. That's the picture I'm getting. US citizens think their vote matters, but with the electoral college you have no control over who gets picked. You hope that your elected official picks the right guy.

I'm not arguing that the US is not a great country, and I agree the free market economy is the best out there. But that doesn't leave open the possibility of an even better solution just because it's better than what the world currently has. Science always leaves open the possibility of improvement and respects it's failures and moves forward. That is part of what the movie is about and a lot more.

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
I'm not in the 1%....I'm in the one-fourth of 1%.
This economic system is fine for me.

I have to be honest, I'm really impressed.
I've got clean drinking water because of where I was born and that makes me kind of special too. So the hell with everyone else.

Interesting conversation! :chinesenewyearf: