Your Favorite Christmas Movies

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I suppose everyone has their favorites, those that celebrate Christmas anyway. With practically nothing worth watching on regular tv I always end up diggin out my favorites to watch. Here is a list of my top five favorites and I would love to hear yours:

1. The Family Man (2000)
This under-rated film stars Nicholas Cage and a stunning Tea Leoni. It is somewhat of a contemporary take on "Its' A Wonderful Life" but with so many plot and story differences that it stands on its' own very well. This movie questions what we do find important in life and what we should find important (and in very entertaining fashion). This movie speaks to me and I love it.

2.Scrooge (1970)
This is a musical version of "A Christmas Carol" starring Albert Finney. A great take on a classic with fantastic performances by all involved.

3. Miracle on 34th Street (1947)
To be honest I am not a big fan of Santa Claus movies, that doesn't mean I don't watch them and this one is the best there is. Starring Edmund Gween, Maureen O'Hara, John Payne and a very young Natalie Wood this is a treat for any age.

4.Its A Wonderful Life (1946)
This would be higher on my list but after so many years of seeing it I know it by heart. An all time holiday classic for a reason.

5.Holiday Inn (1942)
With so many movie greats vying for that fifth spot this one comes out on top for me. Starring Bing Crosby and Fred Astaire this is the movie that debuted the song White Christmas. I love song and dance movies and this is one of the best ever made.

_2old_

Love those pretty panties
Jun 29, 2010
This year I watched, in no particular order:

1. DREDD
2. The Chronicles Of Riddick
3. Thx 1138
4. Pee Wee Hermans Big Adventure
5. The Frame

(You've probably guessed from this list that I don't really 'do christmas') ;)

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
We all celebrate Christmas in our own way. Personally I am a big fan of Dredd and Pee Wee Hermans Big Adventure (one of the most under-rated movies of our time, Paul Reubens was a comedic genius).

Reactions: _2old_ and shaned

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I must live in a closet, only seen 1 of all of the above (Scrooge)

Reactions: _2old_ and Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Pee wee took place during Christmas?

Everyone has their own rituals. I know a guy who brings in every New year watching horror movies. For some, who do not worship Christmas, they celebrate it in other ways and watch non-secular movies. I don't have a problem with this as most Christmas movies are also non-secular. Hollywood has been anti-religious for many a decade. As a matter of fact, "A Charlie Brown Christmas" (which is only a 25 minute TV special) was almost not aired because it actually talks about the true meaning of Christmas and was considered too religious. This was back in 1969. Personally I don't think you can take the "Christ" out of Christmas but that is neither here nor there. Everyone has to follow their own path. So if someone likes to watch Pee Wee Herman (who actually did a Christmas Special) on Christmas, that is acceptable to me.

Pee Wee Hermans Big Adventure was the feature film debut of Tim Burton (who also directed The Nightmare Before Christmas) and co-written by Paul Reubens' good friend the late Phil Hartman of SNL fame.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I thought you ment takes place during christmas.

Well, I expected "Christmas themed" movies but we don't always get what we expect.

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The 1951 film version of Scrooge with Alastair Sim, always watched on Xmas eve

One of my favorites as well and without doubt the best version of Dickens story.

Reactions: CoolKevin

Noid936

Dec 7, 2014
They usually play one of the Home Alone series on christmas eve. Not that i watched any TV :p we just jad diner with the family and then i went out to a bar to get a drink with some friends. It ended up rather jolly though ;)

Reactions: Ceewan

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
They usually play one of the Home Alone series on christmas eve. Not that i watched any TV :p we just jad diner with the family and then i went out to a bar to get a drink with some friends. It ended up rather jolly though ;)

Sounds like a nice way to spend Christmas Eve (I went to Mass myself). The first of the Home Alone series was very original, mixing both silly and and serious themes very nicely. Outstanding perfomance by Joe Pesci and an enjoyable appearance by John Candy. The sequels are worth a laugh or two.