Work as a programmer in Japan - possible?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

dj-pajacex

Feb 11, 2022
Hi,

I would like to ask, if it is possible to work as a programmer in Japan as a foreigner.

Currently I work in the UK as a C programmer (at work I also do some performance analysis in assembly). I am not British, I come from another European country. I have no formal education in computer science (I studied physics at the university), but I began to learn programming when I was a teenager and I have worked as a programmer for 5 years already.

If it matters in potential career, I know the following programming languages (in order of self confidence): C, ARM assembly (Aarch64 & ARMv7-A), C++, Intel assembly (IA-32 & Intel64), Python. I also have some old knowledge of PHP and free variants of SQL (MySQL & PostgreSQL).

I would like to retain my standard of living (i.e. earn at least the same after job change in terms of purchasing power; here I mean that UK is expensive, in my home country I could earn a bit less and be able to afford the same stuff). I don't earn much, after paying income tax and NI it is around (yen calculated at current excahnge rate) £4135/~¥785000 per month (or £5720/~¥1085000 gross per month).

I am thinking rather in 2 or 3 years time frame. If it would be possible to get a job in Japan with my self-taught qualifications, I will start to learn the language to be prepared to find something interesting.

Any advice would be useful. Thank you in advance :)

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I would say look for a job first, and start the preparations and hopefully you might get lucky sooner

dj-pajacex

Feb 11, 2022
I would say look for a job first, and start the preparations and hopefully you might get lucky sooner
I think that the problem would be that in order to work in any given country, you need to know the language spoken there. I don't know japanese at all, and I think that it will probably take at least 2 or 3 years to gain enough proficiency to be able to work. Learning language takes time, and it would be sort of wasted time if I wouldn't be able to work there later. Possible reasons could be: very limited issuance of working visas, not allowing foreigners in better paid jobs, only allowing workers with formal education, etc. I am wondering if any of these apply to Japan.