Why the switch to hotfile?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

andd3k

Oct 10, 2008
How would hotfile solve the issues with link stealers?

Rollyco - interesting. I can see now why people have switched though not so good considering I just paid for a 6 month rapidshare account. Thankfully it's still used - not as much as before but still good enough for now

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
How would hotfile solve the issues with link stealers

because it's more "difficult" to mirror from, and because of this:
Files larger than 100 MB do not qualify for our Rewards Program.

so MU is out of the game, and in case i can split in bigger size, voiding RS too
what remains, Ugotfile? bah! is that a file hoster?

it's working for me.

anyways, HF is good for me; i would never use a bad host, stealers or not
i go with full bandwith and i've -almost- never experienced the troubles that many people talk about, so it's probably something country related.. dunno

kbryc08

Master Cheef
Super Moderator
Nov 17, 2006
Right there with ya RickyDicky, might have to fork over more $ for a hotfile account if more people start using it.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
If I check carefully the infos given by hotfile, I don't see big advantages for non-users (and maybe free users).
30 s delay for download, 15 mn between files, rapidshare is not much worse in comparison.
Only the money thing for uploaders is the reason why it becomes popular.

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
If I check carefully the infos given by hotfile, I don't see big advantages for non-users (and maybe free users).

from a downloader point of view, i don't see any difference neither: i tried the premium once but it was really the same thing, so i'm not planning to buy any more subscriptions.

what's really good about HF it's the upload speed; i can transfer 1.5 GB movies from my server to the HF one in a couple of minutes, and THAT'S great!
i've always thought MU was the best for the remote uploads/ftp transfers, but i had to change my mind once i tried hotfile

Only the money thing for uploaders is the reason why it becomes popular.

sure enough, but that can't last forever
sooner or later they'll lower their rates and, in all sincerity, i hope that could happen soon

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
Why hotfile.com?

Well, it's been a long time since i wanted to ask this question : why so many uploaders put their shares on HF ?

The wait time of half an hour between each file is ridiculous, especially when you download small files. (doujins for example) And from what i've heard, premium accounts doesn't even have tremendous speed... Even worse, premium accounts are a subscription which is definitely more annoying (in my opinion)

I do know HF gives money each time your file is downloaded and i'm certain that's the reason so many people use that service, but isn't it against the main principle of "sharing is caring" ? I see the sharing, but what about the caring ? The money you get in your pocket, i suppose...

It's not like i want it to be banned (It is on some other boards i'm registered), but i'd like to hear reasons to use it.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Nobody will ban you for raising questions, you still get the chance to get 1000 posts :snicker:

When I saw this thread, I was pretty sure it was discussed before:

http://www.akiba-online.com/forum/showthread.php?t=132163

The money argument seems to be the main explanation. I would add also the "avalanche effect", the abundance of links from one single host makes the newcomers believe that this is a good place to upload files. Like mediafire or even rapidshare in their first year.

Hotfile is not really a cashlink website as it hosts actual data, elsewhat any data host that provides a reward program would be banned too, including rapidshare, megaupload & co. If I remember right, true cashlinks are just redirecting websites that give money for clicking.

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
thread merged with the other one...

akuma2002

Moe is my life!
Nov 8, 2006
Ouch, guess i need to use the search function more often ^^;

RS also rewards premium members with money ? I know you can exchange your points for items, but money too?

redrooster

赤いオンドリ - 私はオタクです!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Sep 25, 2007
no problem at all, I just made a statement so that you can see that it´s been merged. Nothing to worry about.