Why are there so many versions of Windows?

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
Would there be more Windows after 10? I'm confuse why there are so many versions of it...

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
So...Windows is an Operating System for, you guessed it, Windows PCs! Unlike Apple Mac computers, you see. Those use Mac OS (OS = Operating System).

There are many versions of Windows because it has grown over time, it can do more and more each time a version comes out. From Windows' original version all the way through Windows 95, 98, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and now 10. (don't worry about 8.1)

With this last version (perhaps) it will just be built on, no telling if there will be a Windows 11 or beyond, it could be 10 is here to stay and will just get improved on and perhaps named differently but will still be 10. Me thinks anyway.

pedro_life

Sep 27, 2020
You can approach the question (WHY) in a different way. By, understanding Moore's law. As productivity improves so hardware and the need for software.

LoliKing25

Jan 9, 2017
Update to this thread because I think it is needed. Windows 11 has come along, and on top of that, Windows 12 is being planned for potential release between 2023 and 2024. Then, a "major" change every 3 years, with insiders seeming to indicate a new main version as this, so Windows 13 in 2027, Windows 14 in 2030, etc. Previously, Microsoft stated Windows 10 would be their last Operating System, and focus on providing updates. Clearly this is no longer the case. I would say to watch out though, especially if you like Loli/Shota content, as they are in the works of writing their successor security platform protocol, with it be an entirely new chipset. This new security chip would upload all data in Realtime to MS servers to check for piracy and CSAM (including non CSAM, like U15 and drawn content). I cannot for the life of me remember the name of this, but it was either Luke Smith or Mental Outlaw who has spoken on it. They are figuring a 2023 release, which will coincide with MS forcing OEMs like Dell to no longer sell prebuilts with Hard Drives in them. Be careful going forward. Windows 10 is already spyware, but they are making it even more spooky. I recommend running Linux or a BSD, with airgapping your u15/loli content (whatever PC you view it on), as the legal waters are beginning to make subtle changes that would result in anyone caught with such content being indicted, and that aforementioned content being classified as CSAM. This is because of what MS already does with phoning home hashes and file lists, but also... I would say to try and use a CPU built before 2008, as both Intel and AMD have their own Management Engines (ME and PSP) that you cant fully disable.

Edit: I think I finally figured out the name of the upcoming Security Platform. Pluton.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoolKevin

liujianwei48

Sep 18, 2022
if you have join USA lanparty then you will find there is only windows7,in fact only windows7 is the most popular windows all over the world

quxinna

Jun 10, 2022
IMHO there is only two type of OS,others are nick,Hybrid and Monolithic,Hybrid for computer made in Intel and Monolithic for computer made in SAMSUNG

Last edited: