What & Who Defines a Generation of AV?

BDrake

Akiba Citizen
Sep 29, 2015
I'm relatively new to AV. I started about 5 years ago but didn't start actually keeping videos until 3 years ago. At that time, Ai Uehara, Yui Hatano, Hibiki Otsuki and Haruki Sato seemed to be the biggest names. Between then and now, Ayumi Shinoda, Aika and Kaho Kasumi became more popular.

So my questions are:
1) Are AV generations defined by a set number of years?
2) How do you break up a generation of AV?
3) How would you break it up based on stars?
4) Do you break it up based on advancements in technology?
5) Would you break it up according to themes or direction?

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
I'm relatively new to AV. I started about 5 years ago but didn't start actually keeping videos until 3 years ago. At that time, Ai Uehara, Yui Hatano, Hibiki Otsuki and Haruki Sato seemed to be the biggest names. Between then and now, Ayumi Shinoda, Aika and Kaho Kasumi became more popular.

So my questions are:

It's hard to really answer these Q's. some newbies retire and fade away after a year or two after their debuts and some last a decade with few hiatus/comeback. It really depends if you're talking about dividing girls according to their debut age/year or in other ways.

Original ebisu muscat and current ebisu muscat can sort of draw a fine line between two eras except the leaders of each group are a bit older. Original-Sora aoi, yuma asami, akiho, rio, mihiro, aino kishi, and many more that started in the early and late 2000's and lasted at least 7 years each. Honorable mentions like Kaera Uehara and Saori Hara(minor ex-celeb before av) sort of fit in this era as well.

I would say akiho yoshizawa would be the highlight and last of the original av idols of her era, which consist of Maria ozawa, yua aida, sora aoi, etc. This year would be her 15th year in the biz and she's still fairly moderately popular after all these years. Her era sort of began the social media/events communication and connection with fans. Even if an popular av actress retire, she would still be socially active except for ai uehara. Yuma Asami and Mihiro are kinda aiming for a singing and hosting career. Sometimes, they go live on twitcast streams.

The current era/upcoming era might be reserve for ex-idols. Shoko and yua are definitely the highlights of the current era. They receive a lot of outside opportunities and are also the top bestsellers of 2016 due to their past scandal as idols.

Technology? Does HD/Bluray, thinner mosaic/thinner pubic hair, and longer/rougher sex scenes counts? There are more mainstream nasty rxpe series, elder series, little people joining the 70 av members(most are also amateurs too)

Last edited:
Reactions: Supmop and BDrake

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016

So my questions are:

I think Yui Hatano and Hibiki Otsuki are reaching their peak limits and might retire soon. Coincidentally, they seem to be best friends in the industry and share many scenes together. Their skin tone seems less smooth and white compare to a few years ago. It's hard to keep a slim figure anymore, but yui still got a huge fan base in Taiwan and can film there after retirement since she look like a local celebrity. Fans might miss them, but at least they'll still be active in public and social media platforms. It's nice while it lasted. It's better to not watch them deteriorate. Ai uehara completely vanish, but she accomplished everything she could film in av. There's nothing she havent done onscreen before.

Reactions: BDrake

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012

So my questions are:

Yui Hatano and Hibiki Otsuki still the biggest names in the bussiness ;) lot people still mentioning, sharing and requesting their videos

1. depends, but from what I learned most people divide it in 5 or 10 years

but its not easy, because lot of them get retire and comeback few years later with new name

2. by their active periode

3. it will be subjective, and sometimes my preference are different from the trend so I prefer not

4. I did not collect VHS, VCD, DVD and BD so I think its useless to seperate them based on technology

5. I divide them into categories : big boobs, most agressive, most pretty, ecc to make it more easy to remember

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
o i think its about boob that do it. the new generation av movies full of mega big boob actress.

the differences between old and new JAV

thinner mozaik
longer duration
more variations
more trimmed bushes
more big boobs
more girls who doesn't look like japanese

I think Yui Hatano and Hibiki Otsuki are reaching their peak limits and might retire soon. Coincidentally, they seem to be best friends in the industry and share many scenes together. Their skin tone seems less smooth and white compare to a few years ago. It's hard to keep a slim figure anymore, but yui still got a huge fan base in Taiwan and can film there after retirement since she look like a local celebrity. Fans might miss them, but at least they'll still be active in public and social media platforms. It's nice while it lasted. It's better to not watch them deteriorate. Ai uehara completely vanish, but she accomplished everything she could film in av. There's nothing she havent done onscreen before.

I hope the soon is mean at least 5 years from now

still don't feel enough with Yui Hatano and Hibiki Otsuki

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
the differences between old and new JAV

thinner mozaik
longer duration
more variations
more trimmed bushes
more big boobs
more girls who doesn't look like japanese

I hope the soon is mean at least 5 years from now

still don't feel enough with Yui Hatano and Hibiki Otsuki

+ Blurays

Idk if they'll stay as long as akiho. A lot of girls retire quickly these years. I didnt expect ai uehara to retire, but she accomplish everything she can. I think their career will last longer than yua and shoko. Also, yui hatano got a huge fanbase in Taiwan, so she can still work there after retirement like Anri okita, sora aoi, and maria ozawa. Speaking of retire girls saori and mihiro is Actively playing supporting roles in japanese movies/tv. Rio appears in clubs at Taiwan a few times according to her tags. Anyway they're successful without av nowadays and I don't think they'll return playing milfs. Most comebacks after a long hiatus result in filming mediocre 1-2 DVDs only. A lot of av stars stop using Social media after retirement to conceal their private lives either good or bad + there no promotion obligation anymore.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
+ Blurays

Idk if they'll stay as long as akiho. A lot of girls retire quickly these years. I didnt expect ai uehara to retire, but she accomplish everything she can. I think their career will last longer than yua and shoko. Also, yui hatano got a huge fanbase in Taiwan, so she can still work there after retirement like Anri okita, sora aoi, and maria ozawa. Speaking of retire girls saori and mihiro is Actively playing supporting roles in japanese movies/tv. Rio appears in clubs at Taiwan a few times according to her tags. Anyway they're successful without av nowadays and I don't think they'll return playing milfs. Most comebacks after a long hiatus result in filming mediocre 1-2 DVDs only. A lot of av stars stop using Social media after retirement to conceal their private lives either good or bad + there no promotion obligation anymore.

in the past yes, like Ichigo Milk who only done 1 comeback video, but today is different, Maki Tomoda has performed more than 2 videos since her comeback and those videos are better than mediocre

and Akira Natsume previously known as Eri Ito, also made decent comeback

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
in the past yes, like Ichigo Milk who only done 1 comeback video, but today is different, Maki Tomoda has performed more than 2 videos since her comeback and those videos are better than mediocre

and Akira Natsume previously known as Eri Ito, also made decent comeback
Same for sarasa hara. She started in her early 20's and left for a few years then came back under a different name. She's the same age as akiho, but her popularity isn't as strong as her peak years. Then again I don't think she was ideapocket top girl back then when there's Rio, Aino, and others.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
Same for sarasa hara. She started in her early 20's and left for a few years then came back under a different name. She's the same age as akiho, but her popularity isn't as strong as her peak years. Then again I don't think she was ideapocket top girl back then when there's Rio, Aino, and others.

sometimes popularity or star meter is not a fair number, as long studios give them contract mean they still can bring profits, and for me means they good enough

lot of people keep telling that Iori Kogawa and Tsubasa Amami are never be SOD Star and Idea Pocket number 1 girl, but they still have a lot of fans

in hollywood Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts popularity has fall far behind Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, Emilia Clarke, ecc. today teenagers may don't know who they are, but they still great actresses

Last edited:

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
sometimes popularity or star meter is not a fair number, as long studios give them contract mean they still can bring profits, and for me means they good enough

lot of people keep telling that Iori Kogawa and Tsubasa Amami are never be SOD Star and Idea Pocket number 1 girl, but they still have a lot of fans

in hollywood Meg Ryan and Julia Roberts popularity has fall far behind Jennifer Lawrence, Jessica Chastain, Emilia Clarke, ecc. today teenagers may don't know who they are, but they still great actresses

New girls replaces the old, but some girls never reach the top charts during their prime before or after their comeback. Also, for hollywood actresses They moved on to play different roles that are suitable for their age. The new generation focus on strong feminism appeals. Anyway the guys in hollywood or Asian cinemas are still dominated by older guys just like AV. It's like Shimiken and other old guys still tries to act as teenage virgins while young girls act as milf or teachers in some cringey school sex scenes.

Supmop

Akiba Citizen
Oct 23, 2012
New girls replaces the old, but some girls never reach the top charts during their prime before or after their comeback. Also, for hollywood actresses They moved on to play different roles that are suitable for their age. The new generation focus on strong feminism appeals. Anyway the guys in hollywood or Asian cinemas are still dominated by older guys just like AV. It's like Shimiken and other old guys still tries to act as teenage virgins while young girls act as milf or teachers in some cringey school sex scenes.

honestly I don't care if my favorite girls never reach the top charts, I know some guys care so much about the charts but it doesn't matter for me if they are number 1 from the top or number 1 from the bottom

some of my favorites are same with majority, while some other are not

about guys in AV, their population are very few compare to the females, so movie makers don't have many choice

Last edited:

silent1one

Dec 10, 2016
honestly I don't care if my favorite girls never reach the top charts, I know some guys care so much about the charts but it doesn't matter for me if they are number 1 from the top or number 1 from the bottom

some of my favorites are same with majority, while some other are not

about guys in AV, their population are very few compare to the females, so movie makers don't have many choice
There are around 70 men, but most of them are attach to Gb background actors or act as amateurs/ fake fans. Other fill the roles of a certain niche like elder, black in Japan, and others. It's always the same few guys in mainstream studios. The turnover is low, but the av industry lacks strong newcomers. No pun intended. I guess no one wants to join since the salary is low, public nude anxiety, backlashes, and most newcomers are ask to do nasty fetishes.