Weirdest Things You Have Eaten in Japan

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
in Japan or elsewhere.

Each people has its delicacies: frogs, snails, haggis, fried insects, dogs, snakes, etc.

Did you experience something special ? Feedback, recommendations ?

insect_eating460.jpg

genki_desu

Jul 17, 2013
The weirdest thing I've had in Japan was okonomiyaki. It's basically like a pancake or omelette with various ingredients thrown in such as cabbage, pork, shrimp, vegetables, cheese, noodles, etc. The restaurant I was at had fish flakes and sweet mayo as options for toppings. I recommend okonomiyaki to anyone that visits Japan.
4r2b8k.jpg

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
I would not hesitate for one second to try okonomiyaki, looks tasty :) Would be more reluctant to taste those living earth worms, yock !

Last edited:
Reactions: genki_desu

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
thats the weirdest thing you ate in japan? okonomiyaki? seriously?

i was under the impression that okonomiyaki was a pretty common food in japanese restaurants anywhere. not as common as sushi or tempura but pretty much available.

not exactly weird but i have eaten horse meat a couple of times, tried natto and hated it both times. chicken sashimi. i guess things like takana and umeboshi are strange too.

genki_desu

Jul 17, 2013
Okonomiyaki is fairly common but I didn't come across anything that was more bizarre to me than that. I did try some anpan which is a little strange along with taco rice and green tea Kit-Kats.

Reactions: isityours

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
Stuffs I have tasted (not in Japan, only in SE Asia):

-insects, many kinds but mainly locusts and red palm weevil larvae, delicious !!!
- Monitor lizard: meat is pretty hard (no special taste)
- snakes: only cobra and python, too hard meat (no special taste)
- snails: excellent
- frogs: excellent
- soup of tadpoles: it was bitter (can not say if it was from frogs or toads ?)
- macaques: hard meat (no special taste)
- wild deer: excellent (was also offered one eye and part of the brain)
- wild boar : excellent (even if gamy)
- coagulated blood from deer or boar, prepared in bamboo node: it tastes like... blood (iron like)
- sharks: excellent
-dogs: sorry to say it, but it was excellent (very soft meat)
- palm civet: nice too.
- forest rodents : all excellent.

also tried sago (nice), wild yam (nice), bamboo shoots (nice), flowers of wild ginger (used as spices, horrible), taro (nice), rice wine (nice),
cassava (nice), durians (excellent), betel nut (did not feel anything lol), hearts of rattans (from soft to very bitter taste depending on the species) and so many other stuffs I can't remember now.

Yet, I am still reluctant for those earth worms swallowed alive (Japan or Korea ?), even if not that size lol

giant-worm-header.png

Last edited:

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
- snakes: only cobra and python...

hahaha. that made me laugh.

wow, youve eaten a bunch of different things man. is it simple curiosity or is there some other pleasure/satisfaction you get from eating exotic things?

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
Okonomiyaki is fairly common but I didn't come across anything that was more bizarre to me than that. I did try some anpan which is a little strange along with taco rice and green tea Kit-Kats.

ah, i see what you mean.

yeah i guess things like green tea flavoured kitkat seems strange to non-japanese. even some japanese say "green tea jam? really?"
an is an interesting one too. many foreigners hate it. especially westerners. i dont mind it but i grew up eating azuki so it wasnt a surprise to me, other than the sweetness.

Reactions: genki_desu

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
Hi isityours. Curiosity and sometimes lack of choice, if you go in really remote places, you have to adapt to the food of the natives (when you feel angry, then almost everything is good to eat, and refusing may also offend people). Most of the time the experience is positive (especially with fruits, etc.), but it may turn bad too (stomachache, vomiting and even a Hepa A, and other stuffs not food related like fevers, bleeding from leeches, malaria, etc.), but then you just do like the locals, wait and don't complain.

But there are still exotic delicacies I haven't tried yet: a Japanese pussy for instance :D

PS: snakes, female pythons are a bit better because of their fat, but cobra was like chewing my shoes. Sorry to have mentioned the dog, I seldom say it in the West because of people's crazy reactions. But in Asia (Borneo, Malaysia, etc.) when you state that we eat horses in the West, people look at you as a very weird fellow.

isityours

Sep 27, 2008
hi yourself. i guessed it might have been a combination of reasons.

while im not sure i have the constitution for that, i definitely recommend japanese pussy.

and there is no need to be apologetic about eating dog. its not like you are threatening to eat my dog (i dont have any pets).
i didnt realise that westerners ate horse.

Reactions: ShogunXXX

ShogunXXX

Nov 13, 2014
while im not sure i have the constitution for that, i definitely recommend japanese pussy.

I hope someday :) Japanese girls seem cooler, not pretentious or pretending this or that like in the West or even with other SE Asian girls.

PS: we eat horses, rabbits, and many other stuffs that look weird to other peoples.