Transferring VHS to (computer to) DVD-R

vincent_z

Low Angler
Nov 27, 2007
It is time to attempt this.
The purveyors I spoke to at Cinema Wasteland could not give me much information on how they managed to transfer media from a VHS videocassette to a DVD-R. :poor:
I have the correct setting to duplicate DVD onto VHS. I've done this before.
But I have been confounded with way too much information on how to transfer VHS to DVD-R.
The best way I can state my exasperation is the automobile example. I'm looking for the Chevrolet method of accomplishing this; but I keep finding the Ford method, the Honda method, and the Mercedes-Benz method instead. Sorry, Rollyco; I submit MeguIV is the Mercedes-Benz version. :puzzled:
So much of the content I want to transfer has been recorded in SLP mode. So I don't expect a sterling {oh geez, not another old auto make :why2:} result.
I'll get technical here. This computer runs Windows Vista.
It is the Medion MS-7501.
It has the 2.1 ghz AMD Phenom 8450 triple-core processor.
The C: drive is 618.66 GB.
My display card is the ATI Radeon HD 3200 graphics / HD 3400 display.
It has Nero Burning ROM 8.3.2.2.
I'm fairly certain this software can be used to tweak the content once I get it on the hard drive.
I have a lot of blank DVD-Rs (50 Memorex, 100 Verbatim).
What I believe I still require for the hardware aspect is a cable from my VHS videocassette recorder to an input port on this computer. I add that the distance from my VHS VCR to the computer is longer than 6 feet.
These two pictures are the pertinent portions of both devices. I believe there will be a cable eminating from the yellow 'VIDEO' output.
Into which port on the front of this computer should the other end terminate? :confused:
Perhaps I should look for a (yellow?) port on the back of the computer? {No picture of that yet.}

As I scribed; I need to figure this out now. If I started transferring tomorrow, I could probably be doing this continuously until 2013. :dozingoff:
I thank you very much.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
You're missing the necessary hardware: a capture card. It's also possible to capture analog video using a DV camera as a passthrough device, i.e. VCR -> DV camera S-Video or RCA input port -> DV camera firewire output port -> computer firewire input port.