Tipping in Japan

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
Next month I'll be visiting Japan for the first time.

Now I've been to many countries in the world, and I noticed one thing that varies a lot from country to country. Tipping.

In some countries, certain jobs have low wages because they're expected to get lots of tips as part of their income and in those countries it's very rude not to tip unless they really mess up. In other countries, wages are higher and tipping is mostly done if you get great service. And in some countries, if you tip certain people it can even be seen as an insult because you're suggesting they can't earn a living without people's generosity.

How is it in Japan? Who are you supposed to tip (waitresses, hotel staff, cab drivers, etc.) and how much? I don't want to be the rich foreigner spending money like water, nor the stingy one who doesn't spend anything at all. So what is considered normal over there? Any help would be appreciated.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
Tipping

the only country in the world I know of that would find it rude would be the USA, and that is because those that hire the staff do not pay enough, no matter what the job is, those in charge should pay the staff enough in the first place, if you do a job you should get paid for it, if there is something that is beyond your duty, yes by all means tip,

not been to Japan yet, but I do believe that if you tip it is regarded as rude,

myself I am all for getting paid the right amount in the first place, tipping should be banned, not an excuse for nasty bosses to cheat the staff

Reactions: FlameDemon

isityours

People don't dance no mo'
Sep 27, 2008
unfortunately the US has this kind of institutionalized discrimination in the work place. as you know the minimum (or should it be called the maximum?) wage is different between professions. for waitresses its like 3 dollars? i might be far off.
in japan there is no tipping. it is really that simple.
i tried once when i first came here and the person politely refused while smirking, probably because it was only 5 dollars and its not as though all those 5 and 10 dollar tips add up because no one else tips.
japanese are not really familiar with taking charity from (or giving it to) strangers.

Reactions: CoolKevin

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
Fact is, tipping is considered a part of doing business in other countries, in America it is even taxed (although you only have to claim a certain percentage). For the most part people I've met and known in the service industry are very happy with the system. I have never known a waiter or bartender who would rather work for a higher hourly wage instead of tips. Nonetheless, people criticise what they don't understand or can't comprehend.

It is true, from what I have heard, that in Japan you do not tip people like in America. Basically, everything is considered to be included in the bill of fare and accepting a tip would be rude for an employee to his employer and being offered one is embarassing. There are exceptions:

Tipping at ryokan (Japanese-style inn)

Tipping is rarely seen in Japan; however, in Japanese-style inns(=ryokans) you can put a money bill(Y1000) in a small envelope and hand it to the person who you think deserve it. Here the idea of taking out a money bill from your pocket and handing it directly is considered rude. But when you stay in a hotel, things are quite different. They are trained to politely reciprocate your offer with an outright "No thank you,." which will be accompanied with a slight bow.

Tipping on a tour

It is mostly right to say, “Tipping is not a common practice in Japan." Japanese, seldom tip hair stylists and waiters.
But actually, NOT very true in international tourism.

Most professionals involved in inbound tourism in Japan would not mind accepting tips, or even deeply appreciate your kindness.

Here is an example; If you join a tour or hire a professional tour guide, it is very common for tourists to give tips to their tour guides for their hard work. You do not need to find an envelope to do this, just give cash as you do back home and show your gratitude.

It would also be a good idea to tip to your bus drivers and taxi drivers, as long as it is not banned by their companies.

(The only problems you may have to expect would be that they may not understand what you mean it for if they do not understand your language. So, it will make things less confusing if you put it in an envelope or wrap in paper, and say “ Kore-ha chippu desu.” ("Here is your tip. " The word “tip” is pronounced “chippu” in Japanese.)

It may be unbelievable, but to tell the truth, tipping is a widely practiced social custom in Japan. Since old days, Japanese people have given tips on special occasions: e.g. to their bus drivers before or after their privately-chartered tour.

Nowadays, wages/ fees for drivers and pro tour guides are not as high as you may consider, so it will also help them keep up their good work.

But please do not misunderstand, tipping in Japan is not mandatory at all, even in the tourism business.

source:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g294232-s606/Japan:Tipping.And.Etiquette.html

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010

Now I've been to many countries in the world, and I noticed one thing that varies a lot from country to country. Tipping.

In some countries, certain jobs have low wages because they're expected to get lots of tips as part of their income and in those countries it's very rude not to tip unless they really mess up. In other countries, wages are higher and tipping is mostly done if you get great service. And in some countries, if you tip certain people it can even be seen as an insult because you're suggesting they can't earn a living without people's generosity.

How is it in Japan? Who are you supposed to tip (waitresses, hotel staff, cab drivers, etc.) and how much? I don't want to be the rich foreigner spending money like water, nor the stingy one who doesn't spend anything at all. So what is considered normal over there? Any help would be appreciated.
Have a good time there, Electromog. :) I hope you'll share your experience with us after coming back (I mean your experience in general, not especially about tipping ;) ).

vishay

Jan 18, 2015

No need to tip in Japan. Actually, do NOT tip anywhere in Japan even if you want to look nice. Some will consider it an offense, some will think you just forgot money and will go running after you to return it. Don't bother. This applies for everything (restaurants, hotels, taxis.... even soaplands)

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
I hope you'll share your experience with us after coming back (I mean your experience in general, not especially about tipping ;) ).
Well, I've arrived in Tokyo. I'm sure there will e pictures later on and I can share some, but I'm not going there to visit prostitutes and I might not even buy any JAV so I don't know how interested people would be in that.

Reactions: CodeGeek

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
Well, I've arrived in Tokyo. I'm sure there will e pictures later on and I can share some, but I'm not going there to visit prostitutes and I might not even buy any JAV so I don't know how interested people would be in that.
Oh, I'm interested in all kind of pictures about Japan. :) Wasn't there a pictures-from-Japan thread? Maybe you can post them there.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007

Oh, I'm interested in all kind of pictures about Japan. :) Wasn't there a pictures-from-Japan thread? Maybe you can post them there.

Yes here

not sure why it was brought up here, and it is a sticky, and it is the first post in this section