Step- versus -in-law, a Japanese language question

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
I hope this is the right section to ask this. Even though the question comes from badly translated JAV titles, it's more a language issue than a JAV one.

I've seen quite a few JAV titles where they mix up step-mother and mother-in-law, and a bunch where they mix up step-sister and sister-in-law.
Not just in titles translated by google or something but even on English language sites like R18.

This makes me wonder, does Japanese not have two different words for these? That would explain why they get it wrong so often, even though they're clearly two different things. Or is there another reason for all these mix ups?

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
Hmm, then I wonder why they get it wrong so often.

Reactions: Restarter

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I have often wondered about the titles, many do not make sense,

as for the 2nd question, quite possibly this thread should be in chatterbox

Reactions: Restarter

Restarter

Forklædt Som Voksen (Disguised as an Adult)
Feb 24, 2020
I had the same question about this translation. So I took the first phrase of the AV movie SPRD-1015 which begins Mother-in-law... (お義母さん) and went through Google translate since it used a bit different kanji than what Casshern2 found. I included the DVD code with the phrase and got this:
Mother in law translation.jpg

To get a better translation, I thought I would just take out the DVD code, but got this:
Stepmother translation.jpg

Good grief. Maybe it's true there is only one spelling for these (except Casshern2 had others). The only thing I can think of is that the meaning comes from the context, just like Chinese singular and plural nouns have no difference, but are differentiated by context.

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
what is really needed is someone that can give correct translations, when the original is wrong

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
In case of SPRD-1015 Mother-in-law is the correct translation but R18 has the title as Stepmom.

The actual key characters are 義母. If you enter those in google translate it gives three possible translations: step-mother, foster mother and mother-in-law. Bing translate also gives both step-mother and mother-in-law as translations. It really looks like that particular spelling is the cause of the mistranslations.

Last edited:

Restarter

Forklædt Som Voksen (Disguised as an Adult)
Feb 24, 2020
The actual key characters are 義母. If you enter those in google translate it gives three possible translations: step-mother, foster mother and mother-in-law. Bing translate also gives both step-mother and mother-in-law as translations. It really looks like that particular spelling is the cause of the mistranslations.

Like you said, the key characters are the ones after taking away the hiragana. The problem is that most people who try to get the English titles from the Japanese have no time to parse the titles, some of which can be very long. Just as a small example(last one, I promise), the short title of a youtube video I found is 小池里奈ちゃんが消火栓におしりを. Google translate gives:
Youtube title 1.jpg

Parsing out Rina's name and the associated chan gives a better translation:
Youtube title 2.jpg

So even a small amount of playing around with the title can help, but it would take a lot of time for this.

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
When it is just some poster on a forum that is understandable, but I notice the same problem on the English R18 site which is a business site.

Reactions: Taako

rice12345

Jan 14, 2015
They're all the same in Japanese as far as I understand from the direct kanji.
繼母,義母,后母=step mother/foster mother.

岳母= mother in law

Reactions: Taako