Star GIFs?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I was wondering if the forum software came with a star icon; or if it doesn't, if it wouldn't be too hard to implement it.

Why: just for the visual effect of posting :star::star::star::star::star: and seeing
starfavnagaya-small.png
starfavnagaya-small.png
starfavnagaya-small.png
starfavnagaya-small.png
starfavnagaya-small.png
instead of saying things like "5 stars" or "5.0" or "5/5", etc.

I dunno. Just a thought. Real low on the totem pole of suggested implementations! :)

Source Image File, credit to Nagaya, a member of some webforum which turned up during my Google search for star icons

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
If you can find some attractive 16x16 star-shaped .GIFs, I will add them. The ones you pasted above don't have enough contrast with the Blue theme, and are too jellybean-ish to look good at a smaller size. We would need one "full" star and one "empty" star. So 2/5 stars could be displayed as:

:star: :star: :nostar: :nostar: :nostar:

Bonus for an additional "half" star, so 3.5/5 stars would be:

:star: :star: :star: :halfstar: :nostar:

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
I like the jellybeans as I'm a sucker for cuteness, but I agree with you about jellybean stars morphing into blobs at a small resolution such as 16x16. For such a small size, indeed, a very pointy star design is required.

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
How about 15 x 15 ?

attachment.php
= 'star'

attachment.php
= 'halfstar'

attachment.php
= 'nostar'

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
The star's radially asymmetric.

What I mean is, the star is like a person (with a small head, bigger arms, and biggest of all its legs) instead of like a symmetric geometric shape (where you could rotate it around and no one would know which end is top and which one bottom.)

... oh, yeah, almost forgot to close my tag ...

[/Rain Man]

rubiks6

No more JI - Retired from AO
Apr 2, 2008
Sakunyuusha said:
The star's radially asymmetric.
yeah. and it's like 15 x 15 pixels. So you break out paint and make better ones. This is what was asked for. It's so darned few pixels. Give it a try. It's not hard. I'll bet you can come up with better ones. I was thinking of pink centers, instead of yellow. Try different greys for the half and not stars.

guy

(;Θ_Θ)ゝ”
Feb 11, 2007
Here are the stars I'm using. They're small though, since I use them for the thread ratings.
[fullattach]299128[/fullattach]

Also, instead of having to type out every individual star, you could just have pre-made images and use BB smileys as such:
:5stars: (one image with five full stars)
:3stars: (one image with three full stars and two empty stars)
etc

This would also help keep ratings consistent, so that everyone uses a 5-star rating system, instead of going off into 10 or 20 star ratings.