SOPA: United States decided tomorrow Nov,17, 2011, the future of the Internet.

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Wokkonno

Wokkonno XP
Jul 15, 2011
It is no exaggeration.

The bills ProtectIP SOPA and tomorrow will be discussed at
the Congress of the United States, define the future of internet.

The promoters of this initiative - if parasites are dedicated to
squeeze every penny of patents and copyright, have invested
heavily to make it happen censorship via copyright.

Soup not only affects the United States and that the proposal
is to block sites DNS level (not just staying in the United States)
that may infringe intellectual property rights (though only suppose)
or just penalize a provider or broker has not done enough to stop
these sites.

The DNS blocking technique is practiced by countries such as Syria
China and Iran. U.S. government finds it increasingly difficult to hide
its repressive side ...

blocking.jpg

Tomorrow will take place the final legislative session to decide the
future of the internet. The lobbies of the MPAA, RIAA and PHARMA
have invested heavily in promoting these garbage laws that affect
us each and every Internet user.

Electronic Frontier Foundation warns of the risks to freedom of
expression, internet security and innovation that poses the most
deranged SOPA PROTECTIP combination of the infrastructure of
the Internet and its users:

Under the rules of SOPA, service providers (including hosting)
will be renewed pressure to monitor and supervise the activities
of its users.

IP PROTECT focuses on sites "dedicated to infringing activities"
(intellectual property), SOPA threat to sites that simply are not
doing enough to track and monitor violations are not discussed
(and it is unclear to what extent). It also creates new powers
to stop people offering help to access the internet in the world
(not just the authorized version of the U.S.).

Just to give you an idea, people can go to jail for five years
by posting a video on YouTube, singing a sacred protected by
copyright.

So serious is the situation that Google, Facebook and Twitter
have teamed up to absolutely reject these bills that will
completely destroy the infrastructure of the global Internet
as well as make them police their users and lose protections
they now have.

But not only are in great danger, Vimeo, Soundcloud Etsy and
are also under threat from SOPA.

These laws destroyed all the exceptions in DMCA to make way
for an intellectual property protection (some) completely
extremist and authoritarian.

SOPA is an attempt to manipulate a human resource.

Legal scholars in the United States, who also oppose SOPA
indicate that this bad idea:

" It has many constitutional infirmezas addition to being
potentially dangerous for the stability and security of the
Internet addressing system will also affect the U.S. foreign
policy and support for freedom of expression on the
Internet worldwide. "

INFO-389x600.jpg

The more proactive if they wish can censor your site
tomorrow to celebrate the Day of American censorship.

It is very easy to participate and perhaps good exercise
to get used to without censorship as promoting intellectual
property.

Our government is starting to go overboard in protecting
intellectual property.

I would say the precipice.

"Good luck internet, need all."

* Note:

SOPA is (Stop Internet Piracy Act)

Sources: Vint Cerf | http://en.wikinoticia.com/Technology/general-technology

spikier

JAPAN:みんなのあい
Nov 13, 2008
so, does this 'potential', new law, affect copyrighted material from from other countries that have no copyright grounds, here in the USA?.

lets say... jr idol material.

any thoughts?

edit: wait a flipping minute here...... doesn't this site have 日本 to USA copyrighted material on it?。

Apr 11, 2007
Laaaaand of the freeeeee......

...and the home of the braveeeeeeeeeee :harp:

I'm not profecient by any means, but isn't this against some sort of international agreement?
I mean yes we all know 'MERIKKUH IS NUMBAH ONE and all, but since when can a single nation impose restrictive laws on a global level? Wouldn't this embody a coercive act on souvereign nations? (again, it's not like America doesn't do this regularly) but this is a restriction of other nations freedom of speech, expression and also to a certain degree privacy and basic citizen rights.

Anyone good with laws? :puzzled:

Uso.. Shinji

Jan 8, 2010
After doing some research, bsaically the SOPA (*Not SOUP) bill is just an update of the two previous bills. This time though, they aim to make it so that foreign sites cannot be accessed. From what I can gather, this will be from the US only. The US does try repeatedly to force its laws on other countries (For a successful example see: Rapelay Incident) but as the internet technically does not belong to one nation, it would refer to accessable sites through the US with companies hosting there facing the penalties of any actions.

In a nutshell, US sites hosting prate content (etc) would be informed of their infringement and shut down within about 2 weeks. If the site is hosted in a different country, the US ISP's have to change the DNS address to read blank and meaning that US access to such a sight becomes impossible as well as search engines have to remove all links to said sites.

In even simpler terms...
US hosted = site dissappears
Foreign hosted = site inaccessable from US

Whilst I don't agree America is number one (sorry), it is slowly using Chinese tactics of IP blockage to control its population.

:study::exhausted::sadomaso:

On the plus side though, the bill can't block the numerical IP address of sites. So even from the US, if you knew the numerical IP address you could still access the site. (Take http://www.akiba-online.com for instance. It gets blocked, you just put 76.73.47.19 in your browser and you are through!) :pandalaugh::nosebleed::tea:

Apr 11, 2007
Wow, thanks Uso, Shinji.
You wrapped it up pretty well so even an idiot like me could understand it.
And yes, you are right with everything. It's no secret the US can no longer hide its fascist face. But lately it seems they aren't even trying to anymore. Nevertheless, even if this doesn't affect us ultimately, there is still hope. This news has been spread all over the net in no time and AFAIK companies such as Google and Twitter are boycotting the bill.

Let's hope for the best here.
Peace

zackq

Mar 8, 2007
If this happen's
and I can't access akiba,
I'm moving to japan:perfectplan:

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
The European Parliament has adopted a resolution which criticizes domain name seizures of “infringing” websites by US authorities. According to the resolution these measures need to be countered as they endanger “the integrity of the global internet and freedom of communication.” With this stance the European Parliament joins an ever-growing list of opposition to the Stop Online Piracy Act .

source:
http://torrentfreak.com/eu-adopts-resolution-against-us-domains-seziures-111117/

Censorship, in moderation, is a good thing. This bill is not about censorship, that is just a side affect. This bill is about greed and power. It does not represent the American people, the constitution nor the best interests of the American public. This bill represents only the best interests of a few filthy rich corporations, (not all of them American), that do not feel that they are sufficiently gouging both the American and International communities of their hard earned dollars.

Even if passed the law should be considered "A bill of attainder" (also known as an act of attainder or writ of attainder). This is an act of a legislature declaring a person or group of persons guilty of some crime and punishing them without benefit of a judicial trial. This type of law is unconstitional and forbidden in the US of A.

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bill_of_attainder

endless_blue_water

Jan 19, 2011
It's very sad, but the United States news media is totally censored, everyone in America knows it, but doesn't know what to do. For example, they are not reporting things like the Venezuela Iranian missile base that was just built recently. There's been no news about Iranian war ships moving into US waters, other than on foreign radio and video sites.

All the news about Japan just stopped, you hear NOTHING about the state of Japan's crises anymore on US news. We know the US media was told to keep their mouths shut because the reports about the contaminated food was probably hurting agriculture. Which is understandable, But it's mind blowing how the news can just stop that quick. Someone is in control, and it's not the people anymore.

whats really sad, is that when America was only 13 colonies, the founding fathers wanted to give the power to the people as they fought against the British Empire. But the founding fathers know that they were putting so much power in the hands of the people that if the people were not careful to keep check of their government, they would loose that power. ...As the history book say:
As Benjamin Franklin was leaving the last session of the Constitutional Convention in Philadelphia in 1787, a woman approached him and asked, "What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin? A republic or a monarchy?" Franklin answered, "A republic, Madam, if you can keep it."

90% of the people in the US are clueless as to who their politicians are or how their government works. They let people vote who are not even qualified to, or don't even pay taxes. it's a joke.
They were letting senior citizens in homes votes when Obama was elected.. people who couldn't even take care of them self. Does this make sense? And then people wonder why things like this happen.

Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.-- Plato

Uso.. Shinji

Jan 8, 2010
megatroll, the whole point of most of the wording in these types of legislation is so that they are not easily understood by the polititians passing them, let alone the masses under which the bill applies. Happy to translate twaddle when needed :pandalaugh:

When considering the beast that is the internet, essentially a free space, it cannot be policed by one set of laws for one demographic of people. The bill won't just effect America, but as many of the other posters have pointed out, the internet and other countries as a whole. Needless to say if (probably when) this bill passes, boycott or not, Federal Laws mean that the government just walks in and does what it wants anyway.:exhausted:

endless_blue_water, Jpan is doing fine..ish. The media over here has more of a blanket than the foreign media does, but free press has gradually been revealing more and more. Through your own research it isn't hard to garnish information, you just have to trawl through pages of Japanese beaurocracy that has haunted ameteur newshands since that day...:notagain::scared: At this rate the plant is on track to be decommisioned fully by the end of this year (more likely about halfway through next). There are numberous Japanese newspapers in English online if you want to look up more info. Mainichi (mdn.mainichi.jp) and Japan Times (www.japantimes.co.jp/) are the first that spring to mind.:study:

endless_blue_water

Jan 19, 2011
Uso Shinji, Thanks for the update on Japan. That is good news!
On the other hand, I was "not" making a point about the ability to find information, but more so about the fact that US news media is "not" reporting things that people should know. I have no idea who is in control, but it's not the public.

The fact that SOPA is passing though congress is no surprise to me. They tried to do something like this last year with...

Combating Online Infringement and Counterfeits Act
Code:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combating_Online_Infringement_and_Counterfeits_Act

Long story short, the US pharmacy's were loosing money from all the people buying meds online at a fraction of the cost of what medicine is sold for in the US. So BIG brother/US Gov...comes in and says, "we want to be able to shut down these harmful sites/ control domains ..because we care about YOU, and we want to protect YOU".
Did they really care about you? or was it more about the loss of money as a result of people getting a deal on line. It's about control, and it's political.

Like the Gov really cares about online piracy when we have all this free software online from things like the GNU Project, it's not something that can be stopped and they know it. This is just like taking guns away from people, the bad guys will always find a way to get one, but it's the masses who get punished and are left unarmed. This has NOTHING to do with Piracy. SOPA is about controlling what they want AMERICANS to see and hear. ... The Majority and less technically informed that is. There's a reason the gov gets in bed with media company's. There's a reason guys like Glen Beck get booted off of FOX. His ratings were excellent, but he had a big mouth and exposed too many people.

Uso.. Shinji

Jan 8, 2010
Yeah, I am aware on the US' media blanket. It does like to control information quite strongly. They don't care about you. As you have seen by the wall street protests lately, there is too much money in politics. I could never understand that about the US system. That you can get private funds for an election campaign really just tries to show off how many friends with money you can make. Also things like the TOR project and GNU project would, under the SOPA act also become illegal as they become tools to dissemate illegal items. There are a lot of underinformed American people, through a variety of not wanting to know, not researching it or believing everything the media says.
"The government controls the media, the government controls the people."

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
"The government controls the media, the government controls the people."

That is basic alarmism. America is not that far gone and never will be. There is not a country in the world that is immune to curruption, media manipulation and coporate influence on government laws and regulations. Not one. (That includes North Korea).

SOPA is the second bill of its' type, (the other is the PROTECT IP Act), and neither of them are without opposition within and across party lines. Previous attempts have failed and these will likely also. One of the main reasons for their success is not just corruption either, it is their selling point to a generation that strongly believes in the current Intellectual Property laws and the need to enforce them.

It is important to understand this and acknowledge that there is another side to this argument. Although I have no doubt that this bill or any like it would not likely exist witout the financial backing of the Record, Movie and Pharmacautical industries support that does not mean that all politicians voting for it are doing so purely for financial gain. Many are voting for it out of ignorance and a narrow minded view on what is right and wrong. Some even believe it will create jobs and help breath life into a failing economy.

There are those that I love and trust that call me a thief for downloading off of PiratesBay, even though I don't have a dime to show for it. I don't hate them for their opinion nor does their opinion make them bad people. (They are actually very kind and generous people). I just believe they are misinformed and do not understand the issue.

Support the Pirate Party and the EFF:
http://pirate-party.us/
https://www.eff.org/

I will now stop my rant and get off of my soapbox. Thanks to all for their indulgence.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
It's very sad, but the United States news media is totally censored, everyone in America knows it, but doesn't know what to do.

The news media is owned by companies who make movies,music and tv shows.That is why they are mostly silent on this proposed bill.Its like expecting the burglar to notify the home owners in advance that he going to rob them, it ain't going to happen.

endless_blue_water

Jan 19, 2011
They don't care about you. As you have seen by the wall street protests lately,
This is another HUGE subject. I agree with everything you said above Uso, Shinji, but I just wanted to comment on the protesters. As far as corporations not paying taxes, Free Trade NAFTA was defined too loosely and is a large part of what got American into the trouble it's in today. And the fact that BIG government tried to force the banks to give loans for the housing is another problem all by itself. The Federal Reserve is not under the control of congress because of the Federal Reserve Act of 1913. The Fed can spend and spend and congress can't do anything about it. I agree that everyone should pay their part in taxes, but I don't believe in taxing the heck out of corporations that produce jobs. They will just leave. What the US needs to do tax the imports coming from China. Some argue that China will just raise the interest on the dept the US owns them. Let them, then Americans just won't won't have money to buy from them.
The issue I have with the protesters is that many of them feel that being exceptional in America means that you should give away your wealth, It's not what built America. This is a large topic, but if my opinion, the protesters need to either get a job, or go out and start a company and give others jobs and stop being angry at corporations that produce jobs. stop being angry because they are successful. anyway, this is too involved and off topic

That is basic alarmism. America is not that far gone and never will be. There is not a country in the world that is immune to corruption, media manipulation and corporate influence on government laws and regulations. Not one. (That includes North Korea).

Couldn't have said it better myself. All country's have problems.

I think what America needs is for it's schools to go back to it's roots and teach conservative values. Most US kids today have no idea what the 13 colonies were and why it was so important to defend them. America should not be afraid to say certain words because it will offend none Cristian immigrants. It's a fee county for religion as long as the religion doesn't inter-fear with core values and laws. Assimilation doesn't work if the NEW immigrants don't respect the values of the OLD immigrants that built America. The country is being transformed with a new kind of attitude. It's an attitude that we are not as great as we thought we were. When the world was run by kings and monarchs, America was the exception! It's also a free country for those to leave who don't want to assimilate. And it's nice that we have the freedom to to do that. It is not without faults, but it's still a great place.

It is important to understand this and acknowledge that there is another side to this argument. Although I have no doubt that this bill or any like it would not likely exist without the financial backing of the Record, Movie and Pharmacautical industries support that does not mean that all politicians voting for it are doing so purely for financial gain. Many are voting for it out of ignorance and a narrow minded view on what is right and wrong.

Thats true. With that said, I think the really scary part of all this is not just the blocking of sites and lawsuits, but the new - jurisdiction laws that the US would impose or influence on a global scale.

Apr 11, 2007
That is basic alarmism. America is not that far gone and never will be.
:pandalaugh:

the protesters need to either get a job, or go out and start a company and give others jobs and stop being angry at corporations that produce jobs. stop being angry because they are successful.
:dizzy:

I think what America needs is for it's schools to go back to it's roots and teach conservative values. Most US kids today have no idea what the 13 colonies were and why it was so important to defend them.
:giveup:

The country is being transformed with a new kind of attitude. It's an attitude that we are not as great as we thought we were. When the world was run by kings and monarchs, America was the exception! It's also a free country for those to leave who don't want to assimilate. And it's nice that we have the freedom to to do that.
:stress:

So much 'Merikkkuh... :petrfied::hypno:

seiya1

Level80Cleaver
Feb 28, 2007
Meanwhile in another Castle:

"Why don't we copy the ChIneez and N Kooreahn Governments, by nosing into peoples property and privacy? Other nations have prospered from limiting online at their convenience. It must be effective."

"Alright we get on it after finishing the round of Constitution Darts. We've got Pay.T.riot Act Ver. 2.04, goddamn-it. That shit gives us like +100 attack on the Occupy people, the silent supporters, and anyone we want and who interferes with our dart game."

Protect American Citizens from American Citizens (PACAC) Squad HQ:
"Dispatch the flash-bang nades, set your shotguns to stun-bean-bag mode. Pepper-ball gun scouts, vests on. Gear up we leave in 20.

"The Alamo:

"DO NOT REMOVE YOUR HELM, Soldier YOU WANNA DIE? Those people have signs, sunglasses, water bottles and hats. Don't worry though, they don't have jobs, but bash'em in the head anyways. If they DO have a job they wont after that."

"Division I squad leader here, the young women, old ladies and students grew by an increment of 15. Roger that Send in division II, tear gas grenadiers and pepper-spray marksmen are on standby. All is go..."

"Sir they are getting out of hand now. They are in the "designated protest area," whatever that means, claiming to have court orders to stay. That won't happen. Awaiting orders."

"STREET LIGHTS OFF! CAPTAIN SAYS ALL OF 'EM OFF! Everyone this is it. MOVE IN. Broken-Arrow. Repeat Broken-Arrow."

endless_blue_water

Jan 19, 2011
I'm not sure knowing about the thirteen colonies and why we fought for independence counts as "conservative values". In fact, wouldn't the real conservatives back then have been the monarchists?
I responded to a reply above, and was speaking about the conservative party of today. And the Protesters who are 99% liberal.

Conservatives can be thought of as people that want to preserve capitalism / free markets, shrink large government, and spend less.
But liberal and conservative mean quite different things now than they used to, especially here in the States.
I totally agree.
Today, liberalism is about transformation, changing the constitution to allow people like the president to remove checks-and-balances because it blocks change. If the US system of checks-and-balances was so bad, why was it the most successful economy, and why do/did so many people want to come to the US for work, but don't want to assimilate. Most liberals want government to do everything for them, and indulge in free entitlements, but the money has to come from somewhere right? The gov produces NOTHING, nothing to the GDP of their own, but of businesses that produce revenue and jobs...Those big bad business. Look at the trash the liberals leave on the ground at all their political events. These are people who clearly only think about (themselves). I seen people burning the US flag at the protests, and everyone standing around laughing about it. Those are US scum. Liberals want LARGE government... the same type of government that wants to police your internet.

Also re: the protests, I'm fairly sure that most of those people would probably not be protesting if they had jobs.

So they stand on Wall Street and block business and commerce of others who go to work everyday because "they" don't have jobs? What if these business decide to leave the country? Then what. These people don't have jobs because the economy is bad. It's bad because Americans (those same people protesting) were irresponsible.. taking loans for houses they couldn't afford. (Buying things on credit). They complain that they can't pay their school loans yet they all have new laptops and i-pads. There's a first lesson on the difference between conservatism and liberalism. conservatives conserve, Liberals what to spend, and spend. So they're going to protest every business on Wall Street because they're unhappy how their lives turned out. They should be more upset about US jobs going to china. They can thank Democratic - Jimmy Carter, and Bill Clinton for Free Trade. You can thank democrats for the 1913 Federal reserve act that allowed the US Fed independence from congress and the ability keep printing fiat money and sending it to company's over seas. We can thank Liberals like Obama who sued City Bank for not complying with the Reinvestment Act, forcing banks to give loans to unqualified people. Obama even said in a video years before the housing crunch that "everyone deserves a house". It's a nice thought, but not everyone has eared it. Irresponsibility is the reason protestors and many Americans are out of work, not entrepreneurs and business owners. We can think Environmentalists who want to impose extreme regulations on business, and block the creation of jobs (like the Oil pipe line to Canada for example) ;) If you own a business and you're successful In America ..you're the bad guy now. Welcome to the new world! American didn't become great by destroying exceptionalism. Keep up the great work protesters.

but neither group has exactly the right idea as to why they're upset, or who to blame.

What a mess.

Well, I think they know why their upset. But the fact is, the Conservatives/Republicans realize that there is no money to keep spending, so they keep blocking bills. And distributing money by punishing the wealthy is not fair. Think about something: If you decided one day that you wanted a TV in all the rooms in your house, and you had to work hard to get that, how would you feel if BIG government passed regulations and came in and took 3 of the TVs away from you because you were successful. (redistributed them/ this is socialism) You probably wouldn't want to work hard for anything anymore if you know that the next guy could get what you had for doing nothing. You wouldn't want to be exceptional anymore.
That is the mindset of most liberals today. They want government to give them everything, but with "that" comes government regulation and control over every aspect of your life. And more things like SOPA for example.