SNES

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

f5mn

Apr 8, 2008
I was able to swipe an SNES (yes folks, for those of you who remember, it's the old super nintendo system of the early 90s) from my friend becase he owed me money. It's still alot of fun to play with, but I'm having trouble finding games because virtually nobody sell these games. Anybody know any website that sell these games or can anybody recommend a game for this system???

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
I was able to swipe an SNES (yes folks, for those of you who remember, it's the old super nintendo system of the early 90s) from my friend becase he owed me money. It's still alot of fun to play with, but I'm having trouble finding games because virtually nobody sell these games. Anybody know any website that sell these games or can anybody recommend a game for this system???

Those things are practically antiques.Have you tried the fleamarket(make sure the game you play can work before you pay)?

I did a google search and came across these two sites.

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.q.html
http://store.videogamecentral.com/used-super-nintendo-games.html

However you can try to use a snes emulator on your pc and go find snes roms.

Here is a snes emulator with Finalfantasy6(ff3 in in the US) to try out.This emulator has a built in game genie/shark.

f5mn

Apr 8, 2008
Those things are practically antiques.Have you tried the fleamarket(make sure the game you play can work before you pay)?

I did a google search and came across these two sites.

http://www.estarland.com/NintendoSuper.q.html
http://store.videogamecentral.com/used-super-nintendo-games.html

However you can try to use a snes emulator on your pc and go find snes roms.

Here is a snes emulator with Finalfantasy6(ff3 in in the US) to try out.This emulator has a built in game genie/shark.

Thanks buddy,

I'll be sure to check those site out. As for the emulator, will it run on Vista??? I had quite a few crashes due to incompatibility.

nipponboy911

Sep 11, 2008
YES! snes kicks ass. my brother and i had like 50 games for that but my mom sold all of it, including the system, when we moved and she didn't tell us until a few years later haha. that made me cry cuz i still enjoyed playing with it.

but yea, they don't sell it in your local game stores? if anything, look for game stores other gamestop/gamecrazy and look for a smaller more localized store cuz most likely, they have some from people that sold it to them so yeah, just go around and check / call every store in your area.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Thanks buddy,

I'll be sure to check those site out. As for the emulator, will it run on Vista??? I had quite a few crashes due to incompatibility.

I am not sure if it will run on Vista, I have a XP. You can probably do a google search with the words "Emulator Vista snes" for assistance.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Have you tried Craigslist yet?

It's a bulletin board-styled garage sale. People put their WTB or WTS notices up and you type in the word(s) you're searching for and it returns the nearest hits to you (based on the largest city you told it you live near). For example, if you live in Chicago, you choose the Chicago craigslist. Then you type in "Mega Man X" and hits may or may not come up.

The bad news is, you have to meet this person in person to get the game. (Just like with a garage sale, in theory.) The great news is, it's standard protocol to meet in a public place like a Starbucks or a McDonald's. It's also a better place to snag sweet deals because (a) a lot of poor people go on Craigslist and pawn their items off (vs. rich people who go on eBay and demand you meet their high prices or else you don't get it), (b) it's usually first come first serve so you're not competing with tons of other people for the same deal (which artificially drives up the price, just like on eBay), and (c) sellers don't have to pay any sellers' fees to craigslist (i.e. they keep every last dime that you give to them for the game), so many sellers are now preferring craigslist over eBay for any items worth less than $100 or for any customers who live close to them (since it could be cheaper to run an errand on that side of town and drop off the package while you're there than to pay UPS to mail it to the guy for $4).

Did you play the SNES as a kid or didn't you? If you played it, then you should already know what games you want for it. I'd focus on those and not get distracted by easier-to-find shittier games. If you didn't play the SNES much as a kid, though, then sure, here would be my recommendations:

Must-Haves for all audiences: Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars
Platformer junkies: Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2
Adventure junkies: Super Metroid (platformer-adventure), The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (rpg-adventure)
RPG junkies: Final Fantasy II (it's really IV), Final Fantasy III (it's really VI), Chrono Trigger
Fighter junkies: (Super) Street Fighter II Turbo
FPS junkies: sorry, bubs, a bit too early for that one.
RTS junkies: ditto. At least in America. Several popular RTS games for the Super Famicom, though. (Pretty sure the RoTK games of Koei's date back to the NES.) I suppose if you want to call Sim City an RTS you could get that. lol
Puzzle junkies: I liked Kirby's Avalanche. It was Hal's rip-off of Puyo Puyo with Kirby-themed characters. Or you could get Puyo Puyo 2 if Japanese carts work with American SNESes. I doubt it. But Puyo Puyo 2 ROCKS. :D
GameBoy owners: the Super GameBoy (converts your SNES into a GameBoy emulator so you can play GameBoy games on your big-screen TV. Only compatible with GameBoy and GameBoy Color cartridges)

f5mn

Apr 8, 2008
YES! snes kicks ass. my brother and i had like 50 games for that but my mom sold all of it, including the system, when we moved and she didn't tell us until a few years later haha. that made me cry cuz i still enjoyed playing with it.

but yea, they don't sell it in your local game stores? if anything, look for game stores other gamestop/gamecrazy and look for a smaller more localized store cuz most likely, they have some from people that sold it to them so yeah, just go around and check / call every store in your area.

That's too bad. It took me awhile to get one. Couldn't really afford it when I was little. Hopefully you'll find one in the future.

f5mn

Apr 8, 2008
Have you tried Craigslist yet?

It's a bulletin board-styled garage sale. People put their WTB or WTS notices up and you type in the word(s) you're searching for and it returns the nearest hits to you (based on the largest city you told it you live near). For example, if you live in Chicago, you choose the Chicago craigslist. Then you type in "Mega Man X" and hits may or may not come up.

The bad news is, you have to meet this person in person to get the game. (Just like with a garage sale, in theory.) The great news is, it's standard protocol to meet in a public place like a Starbucks or a McDonald's. It's also a better place to snag sweet deals because (a) a lot of poor people go on Craigslist and pawn their items off (vs. rich people who go on eBay and demand you meet their high prices or else you don't get it), (b) it's usually first come first serve so you're not competing with tons of other people for the same deal (which artificially drives up the price, just like on eBay), and (c) sellers don't have to pay any sellers' fees to craigslist (i.e. they keep every last dime that you give to them for the game), so many sellers are now preferring craigslist over eBay for any items worth less than $100 or for any customers who live close to them (since it could be cheaper to run an errand on that side of town and drop off the package while you're there than to pay UPS to mail it to the guy for $4).

Did you play the SNES as a kid or didn't you? If you played it, then you should already know what games you want for it. I'd focus on those and not get distracted by easier-to-find shittier games. If you didn't play the SNES much as a kid, though, then sure, here would be my recommendations:

Must-Haves for all audiences: Super Mario World, Super Mario All-Stars
Platformer junkies: Mega Man X, Donkey Kong Country, Donkey Kong Country 2
Adventure junkies: Super Metroid (platformer-adventure), The Legend of Zelda: A Link To The Past (rpg-adventure)
RPG junkies: Final Fantasy II (it's really IV), Final Fantasy III (it's really VI), Chrono Trigger
Fighter junkies: (Super) Street Fighter II Turbo
FPS junkies: sorry, bubs, a bit too early for that one.
RTS junkies: ditto. At least in America. Several popular RTS games for the Super Famicom, though. (Pretty sure the RoTK games of Koei's date back to the NES.) I suppose if you want to call Sim City an RTS you could get that. lol
Puzzle junkies: I liked Kirby's Avalanche. It was Hal's rip-off of Puyo Puyo with Kirby-themed characters. Or you could get Puyo Puyo 2 if Japanese carts work with American SNESes. I doubt it. But Puyo Puyo 2 ROCKS. :D
GameBoy owners: the Super GameBoy (converts your SNES into a GameBoy emulator so you can play GameBoy games on your big-screen TV. Only compatible with GameBoy and GameBoy Color cartridges)

Thanks, I never heard of craiglist, but I will give it a try. Those games you mentioned brings back good memories. The street fighter series seems to last forever.

hongcan

Jan 15, 2010
I still remembered back then, I played my snes using a machine that can load games roms using diskettes. it was about half the size of the snes system. Wouldn't it be better if you look for the machine and perhaps download the roms rather than looking for the games? but now, i rather played snes on my pc using emulator since it has a save state.

Jul 1, 2009
ZSNES hasn't been updated in over 3 years, so people starting out with emulators right now may be better served by checking out bsnes, which has taken the lead as far as accuracy of emulation is concerned. :study:

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
ZSNES hasn't been updated in over 3 years, so people starting out with emulators right now may be better served by checking out bsnes, which has taken the lead as far as accuracy of emulation is concerned. :study:

I'll have to check out "bsnes", but I agree with you on ZSNES. Even though it works in Vista, I ran into constant issues with opening roms.

The latest version of Snes9x works pretty well in Vista, but, if I remember right, you actually have to track it down on the snes9x website forum. It wasn't in the actual download section for some reason. :puzzled:

Sakunyuusha, you missed one in your RPG recommendations. Ogre Battle for SNES had incredibly addictive gameplay! Yeah, there's a playstation version, but I like the old cartridge better ;3

Oct 6, 2007
I remember the good old days of NESticle, ZSNES, and Genecyst and playing these games with my friends online connecting through an IP address...the good old days, YOU HEAR ME NINTENDO? (please add online support to Virtual Console)

techie

SuupaOtaku
Jul 24, 2008
I remember the good old days of NESticle, ZSNES, and Genecyst and playing these games with my friends online connecting through an IP address...the good old days, YOU HEAR ME NINTENDO? (please add online support to Virtual Console)

Don't they support GameSpy anymore?
I thought all of them had some sort of IP resolution system built in considering the newer consoles have LAN support, don't they?

lowleg26

non-active
Oct 25, 2009
If you're a RPG fan, don't forget about Earthbound or Secret of Mana!

True, I also thought that super mario RPG was actually pretty cool.

After going through my old games, I'd also recommend:

UN Squadron
Super Castlevania IV
Contra III: The Alien Wars
Earthworm Jim
Legend of the Mystical Ninja
any of the Mega Man X series
Zombies Ate My Neighbors (but ONLY if you have a friend to play with!)

If you have a console and can get your hands on a super scope, Battleclash was pretty awesome.

My personal all time favorite time killer is The Ninja Warriors. Straight ahead brawler, not too many frills, but you could throw guys into stuff and the music had this awesome midi slap bass! :harp:

Damn, 16 bit era kicked ass. The console stuff around today seems kinda over the top and lame in comparison, except for the whole Wii Fencing thing. That's addictive like fiddle faddle. :joker: