Retiree
Mar 19, 2009
See original Japan Times article here.

Friday, April 24, 2009
SMAP star's public nudity spurs arrest
Drunken Kusanagi bares all in Roppongi park, loses sponsors

By MINORU MATSUTANI
Staff writer

What's wrong with a little public nudity?

nn20090424a1a.jpg

Tsuyoshi Kusanagi KYODO PHOTO

It's a crime called public indecency. But for pop group SMAP's 34-year-old member Tsuyoshi Kusanagi, it also means angry sponsors and the cancellation of lucrative advertising contracts, including one from the government.

The singer, actor and TV celebrity from the ubiquitous pop group was arrested early Thursday on suspicion of public indecency after stripping down in Hinokicho Park by the tony Tokyo Midtown complex in Roppongi. He was heavily drunk at the time, Akasaka Deputy Police Chief Michitaka Sugahara told reporters.

"The windows were closed, but I heard a man yelling 'Woooo' and 'Ohhhh.' I wondered if my baby would wake up," said a woman who lives nearby.

A naked Kusanagi was found after police received a call from a Tokyo Midtown resident at around 2:55 a.m. complaining about someone making noise in the park and sent three officers to investigate, Sugahara said. When they arrived, they found Kusanagi naked, his clothes and other belongings piled nearby.

"What's wrong with being naked?" Kusanagi reportedly asked the officers as a bystander looked on.

The pop star was wrapped in a sheet and put into a squad car. He was not cuffed at the park, Sugahara added.

Kusanagi lives nearby in one of the complex's luxurious apartments in the entertainment area. He was drinking with two acquaintances in the Akasaka district before the incident, police quoted him as saying. His blood-alcohol level was measured at 0.8 mg per liter and a urine test was negative for drugs, they said.

Akasaka police said they also searched his house to determine his motive for the stripping act and to dig up more details, without elaborating.

"I'm sorry I became naked. I don't remember why I became naked," Kusanagi was quoted as telling police.

SMAP is extremely popular, and Kusanagi is regarded as the quietest and gentlest of its five members. The group also has followings in other parts of Asia, and Kusanagi is known for being able to speak fluent Korean.

The reaction from private and public sponsors was immediate. Toyota Motor Corp. and Procter & Gamble responded by halting all ads featuring the pop star, even his frequent TV commercials.

The Internal Affairs and Communications Ministry, which recruited Kusanagi to promote the nationwide conversion to terrestrial digital broadcasting, said it will immediately stop distributing flyers and posters with Kusanagi in them.

"It's embarrassing. He is a character who is calling for public understanding of the cancellation of analog broadcasting, which will burden the people. I have no choice but to think he is a disgusting person," communications minister Kunio Hatoyama angrily told reporters.

Likewise, the Association for Promotion of Digital Broadcasting has decided to stop airing Kusanagi commercials.

Kusanagi's agent, Johnny and Associates, later in the day released the statement: "We deeply apologize for causing lots of trouble and worry to fans and many other people."

The idol will refrain from entertainment activities for the time being, the company said Thursday evening.

Kusanagi debuted with SMAP in 1991 and later starred in several TV dramas and movies, gaining fame elsewhere in Asia as well, including South Korea.

South Korean media issued news flashes about the star's arrest, describing the event as "shocking." Its two biggest Internet portals said key words tied to the arrest were simultaneously ranked as the No. 1 and No. 2 search terms at one point Thursday.

Information from Kyodo added

buttobi

Mar 29, 2007
The general public response is sympathetic to him. People are wondering why the police had to search his house. What did they expect to find there to "determine his motive" ? This surely was unusual.

I sympathize with him, too. He is a true idol. He must be leading a stressful life. When we think he needed an outlet for his stress, we should rather sympathize with him than blame and punish him. Being naked and yelling at night in a public place is no serious crime. It makes us even smile. Now I like him even better. I'm sorry for him.

daredemonai

Retiree
Mar 19, 2009
The general public response is sympathetic to him. People are wondering why the police had to search his house. What did they expect to find there to "determine his motive" ? This surely was unusual.

I sympathize with him, too. He is a true idol. He must be leading a stressful life. When we think he needed an outlet for his stress, we should rather sympathize with him than blame and punish him. Being naked and yelling at night in a public place is no serious crime. It makes us even smile. Now I like him even better. I'm sorry for him.

I generally agree. My only concern is for him. Another article (in Japanese) said he is known to be an "extremely heavy drinker." One thing about Japanese drinking culture is that getting drunk is treated as something funny (until it leads to a tragedy), and it is almost taboo to suggest that someone might be an alcoholic and may need help. As you said, he must lead an extremely stressful life, yet he is famously modest and accommodating--always trying to make everyone happy. (In one poll of young women asked to choose a celebrity who was closest to their image of an ideal marriage partner, he was number one.) It's not surprising that someone like him would use alcohol as a way to relieve the tension of always having to be a "good boy."

Either way, the search of his home was an outrageous abuse of power. I wonder if the police had a search warrant, and if so, on what grounds it was issued. He has every right to sue the police, but I'm sure he won't, since doing so might damage his public image more.

buttobi

Mar 29, 2007
In an apology interview held after he was released he said he was not suffering from stress or pressure. He said he had overdrunk himself as he simply enjoyed drinking. According to him he had no consciousness and memory of himself until he found himself in the police station. He also says he sometimes drinks to such a degree that he loses his consciouness. If this is true, he has a serious problem with his drinking habbit. He needs help.

Anyways from my point of view this case is not something we take serious and make fuss about. It's his personal problem. He will pay for what he did. Every time idols and talents cause this kind of trouble, the media overreact and amplify the seriousness of the cases. And every time I feel Japan is a childish society. Idols and talents should have a stronger sense of responsibility as such than the man on the street? Fuck that. They are ordinary human beings.

elitera2

Jun 7, 2007
Oh wow I hope that doesn't lead to his drinking habits. Whenever I get heavily intoxicated I always wake up in the morning with vomit all over my face and sheets.

cattz

(◣_◢)
Jun 11, 2007
Oh wow I hope that doesn't lead to his drinking habits. Whenever I get heavily intoxicated I always wake up in the morning with vomit all over my face and sheets.

I'm to big (6'4" 210) with good drinking genes and am mostly German with some Norwegian (they're freaking Germans that moved there to begin with..)

I do not get drunk easily, and need to drink tons of vodka to even have a chance at it, and have never blacked out, vomited from it, etc., etc.

People getting buzzed from like 2-4 beers, or 2-3 shots just shocks me honestly, lol..

Anyways, on topic, strange that he both did it, and that it's such a big deal.

I mean it is incredibly strange that anyone could blame it on being drunk, but like I said, I've never managed to get so drunk that I honestly didn't know what I was doing or black out, so I just can't relate in any way and have to treat it as bull shit on his part.

daredemonai

Retiree
Mar 19, 2009
cattz,

Roughly half of all people of east-Asian descent (including Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) lack an enzyme necessary for the efficient metabolism of alcohol. For readers who like biology stuff, this enzyme is known as the low-Km aldehyde dehydrogenase isoenzyme, or in short, ADH. [....] Without this enzyme, the byproduct of alcohol (the toxic aldehyde dehydrogenase) cannot be removed from the bloodstream nearly as well as it is in people who do have the enzyme. The aldehyde accumulates in a person's system as a result because it cannot be broken down as quickly.

A person with this condition is likely to experience toxic effects such as flushing, rapid heartbeat, headache, nausea, drowsiness, swelling and skin itchiness. In addition, it is easier to get drunk upon consumption of even just a few alcoholic beverages.

source

Axandra

Jul 7, 2008
Man, I don't know. I had my fair share of drunkness in an earlier period, almost a decade ago. Barely keeping on my feet, usually throwing out quite quickly after I reached the not-a-drop-more point, and then finding myself a place to pull over. But never, not once in all those episodes did I feel the need to strip of all my clothes. And I've actually never seen this urge manifesting in any of my drink buddies over years.

This might make me wonder what's really on his soul... if I just gave a shit about his idol status.