skipping/ffwd through vids problem

glower

May 18, 2008
I use Ubuntu/Kubuntu with SMPlayer (usually).

Why is it that certain vids ( avi,wmv or mp4) will not allow "skipping/fast forwarding?

I'm assuming that its because of the method used to encode the video rip.

Can anybody avise me re this, and if theres a way to "fix" this situation?

thanks

anandneemish

Apr 25, 2008
Certain vids were either corrupted, or were encoded with problems in the index. As such, they will only play in linear fashion (i.e. no skipping around).

On Windows, the answer (for me at least) is Video Fixer. This tool will fix about 90+% of the vids with this problem.

For the remainder, if I really want to keep it, I will transcode with some tool. This generally fixes all problems, but results in degradation of quality (from the transcoding).

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
I did use ubuntu, but I do not remember having any problems, I think I may have used gom player

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
"Unskippability" is a function of the splitter used to parse the container. If the splitter is not robust, it is more likely to break when playing out-of-spec video files.

The solution can be
1) try another splitter (if your player/OS allows it)
2) try another media player
3) Remultiplex the video into a new container, such as .MKV

Personally I always go with 3), because my player of choice offers instant Matroska keyframe seeking (regardless of what streams are contained within).

glower

May 18, 2008
Thanks

Thanks guys.

Just to clarify my post, I'm referring to files that I've downloaded (with JDownloader which indicates files crc is ok), not files that I've ripped/split myself.

I use HJSplit to join files, or FSFJ under Wine where files refuse to join under HJSplit.

Rollyco, what prgs do you use?

Thanks

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
My desktop is a Windows machine. I use a recent build of MPC-HC, with most of the internal splitters enabled (AVI, MP4/MOV, Matroska, FLV, etc).

For multiplexing Matroska files, I use MKVMerge. If I have a .WMV that MKVMerge can't handle, I use GDSMux.exe, which is included in Haali's Media Splitter. A possible outdated alternative to GDSMux.exe is to manually construct a filtergraph with Monogram Graphstudio and the old Matroska Muxer DirectShow filter. See here if you want to go down that road.