RMVB wa sugokunai / RMVB sucks!

Graspaw

Mar 19, 2009
To all whom are posting vids in RMVB format, PLEASE STOP!!! RMVB is outdated, converts in poor quality, and most video players don't play it. So many good JAV videos are worthless being posted as RMVB.

CodeGeek

Akiba Citizen
Nov 2, 2010
I also don't like RMVB because of the poor quality. So I don't pay attention to it. But I know that others a big fans of it because the files are very small (you exchange quality for file size). They are smaller than any other format (maybe depends on the quality settings).
So I recommend to do the same as me: Just ignore it and look for the high quality ones.

Reactions: 2 people

ding73ding

Akiba Citizen
Oct 25, 2009
I've seen some RMVB with excellent quality, it's not an absolute rule that RMVB = bad. If you see a small file just avoid it.

If the same vid is available in several formats I avoid the RMVB too, but I wouldn't go tell people to stop.

Reactions: 1 person

jugulear

Akiba Citizen
Jan 20, 2012
An RMVB never got in the way of my enjoyment of a story, nor in interfering with the arousal factor. Some look inferior, and some - as Ding73ding smartly pointed out - are excellent. Similarly, those rare times I had to resort to the giant so-called high-quality files - some are impressive, where you can see crisp details such as the pore of the skin, and some are no better than RMVB quality. It all depends on how they are prepared, and the shadowy figures who rip these movies no longer seem to take the painstaking care that was more commonplace years ago.

I have just about every video player, and they all play RMVBs. (If yours does not, maybe a codec is missing.) Moreover, when I play some of the giant-file supposedly HD ones, I have trouble fast-forwarding, as the seeking takes forever. (I can't understand why that should happen, because it's a giant file, and in the supposedly better formats. Again, it has to do with rotten preparation.) Sometimes I even get video break-up with a giant file, upon fast-forwarding.

I am just as grateful to the equally "crummy" FLV format; without them, I would have never been able to get the JAVs I have, because of important issues such as downloading time and trouble, and hard drive space. I haven't even had the chance to watch all of the movies I have; why should I invest in a giant file for such? The time to get a giant file is when you fall in love with that rare JAV that you return to again and again. (And then hope that the quality does not... "suck." In terms of being little better... or no better... than your RMVB or FLV.)

I love RMVB.

EDIT:
That was a great post by Casshern2 below, I enjoyed it.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right places, but this seems to be practically a non-issue. Years ago, it wasn't hard to find an RMVB for a particular movie. The situation has changed dramatically. I only know of one member at Akiba-Online (Stumiko, I believe) who makes a point of posting in RMVB - which I appreciate. Otherwise, the main occurrences of RMVBs are in the torrent world (which I look at enviously, as I don't do torrents). Yet I don't know of any "professional" uploaders who bother with RMVB anymore. Since they are motivated by the clicks, as Casshern2 pointed out, it is more profitable for them to resort to the so-called HQ ones, allowing them to break up the files to greater pieces, and getting more clicks. (Plus, they are aware the trend has been favoring those who prefer the giant files, and the uploaders would be foolish to ignore such demand.)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 3 people

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I had this theory about the term Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I never knew what it meant definitively, but my guess was that if you were given a horse you didn’t want to look at its mouth (teeth) in front of the person who gave it to you because you can tell the heath of the animal in such a manner. You would be rude in telling them Thanks for the horse, but let’s see if you gave me a quality one!

Assuming you are a freeloader (as are we all)…no, strike that…seeing that this is your FOURTH post since joining in 2009 I’ll assume you are more than a freeloader, you’re just a taker. In that spirit, take the good advice given and ignore the titles in RMVB. Or better yet, move heaven and earth to land these titles physically. Now that is quality. Until that becomes a reality the name of the game is take or leave it, but to all caps your sentiment is, well, frankly…never mind, I won’t say it.

1. They won’t read your plea because they don’t lurk around the Discussion threads looking for guidance, pointers, or critique. The Machine just posts and posts and posts.

2. Even if they did they won’t care because most of what you speak of are probably groups/individuals who try to get theirs out there first in hopes of getting the clicks. Why encode to high quality? Takes too long. They want to post tiles as fast as they can. And I wonder if they probably just leech from some site and post their stuff (wink wink).

3. Can’t think of a 3 but mark my words, there is one.

Have some patience, friend. Maybe what you’re looking for will come out in better quality eventually. Or you can try your hand in the Request threads. Maybe someone has something in other formats that you’ve only been able to find in RMVB.

Gaia093

Nov 21, 2013
Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth

This is more relevant than ever for me when it comes to JAV. Many titles are incredibly tricky to come by as is, so the last thing I'll worry about is the great quality a download could have but doesn't. Sure, I won't say no if I can eventually find a great JAV with even better quality than I got first, but it's not a priority at all. I take what I can and make the best of it, for beggars can't be choosers.

On RMVB specifically, I've come across it several times with no bigger issue than with other nowadays "obsolete" video formats. I grab the video, turn on the player, and enjoy. That's all there is to it. May not be MKV, but it doesn't need to be either.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 person

iori11

Nov 25, 2009
I had this theory about the term Don’t look a gift horse in the mouth. I never knew what it meant definitively, but my guess was that if you were given a horse you didn’t want to look at its mouth (teeth) in front of the person who gave it to you because you can tell the heath of the animal in such a manner. You would be rude in telling them Thanks for the horse, but let’s see if you gave me a quality one!

Assuming you are a freeloader (as are we all)…no, strike that…seeing that this is your FOURTH post since joining in 2009 I’ll assume you are more than a freeloader, you’re just a taker. In that spirit, take the good advice given and ignore the titles in RMVB. Or better yet, move heaven and earth to land these titles physically. Now that is quality. Until that becomes a reality the name of the game is take or leave it, but to all caps your sentiment is, well, frankly…never mind, I won’t say it.

1. They won’t read your plea because they don’t lurk around the Discussion threads looking for guidance, pointers, or critique. The Machine just posts and posts and posts.

2. Even if they did they won’t care because most of what you speak of are probably groups/individuals who try to get theirs out there first in hopes of getting the clicks. Why encode to high quality? Takes too long. They want to post tiles as fast as they can. And I wonder if they probably just leech from some site and post their stuff (wink wink).

3. Can’t think of a 3 but mark my words, there is one.

Have some patience, friend. Maybe what you’re looking for will come out in better quality eventually. Or you can try your hand in the Request threads. Maybe someone has something in other formats that you’ve only been able to find in RMVB.

Dude i love your pragmatism but but the picture you are drawing of the forum altough it is not far from reality make me sad to realise i am surrounded by leechers and money driven uploader that just don't give a single F***¨about us poor JAV loving fools.:despair3:

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
iori11, you can take heart that in their selfish and money hungry ways they kind of are somewhat caring for us poor JAV loving fools. At least they feed our needs. They are a necessary burden for us. It's the kind of punishment I'm willing to take to be able to see these little darlings do their thing in front of the camera. And don't forget to count us in as leechers. I haven't paid outright for a JAV DVD or rip to this day. Sure, I have a Ryushare premium account, but to use the legal "out", I'm paying for access to things, not for those things themselves. Meh...helps me sleep at night.

:sigh: