How to convert to rmvb format

kaidoh

Aug 22, 2008
Hi all, does anybody have any good ways to convert avi and wmv files to rmvb formats? Essentially I want to be able to control the bit rates of the output rmvb file as well so that I can control the quality and file size. Please post recommended methods and if they take long to process.

Thanks!

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
Sorry I don't know anything about converting. I am always disappointed with real media files. I use Media Player Classic for rmvb files and it has practically no features; no fast forward or slow motion, no contrast or color adjustments. Since you're interested in rmvb can you recommend a good free player with good functions?

I use and recommend SMPlayer. It's got all kinds of easy to use adjustments including contrast, brightness, color and gamma. It also has fast, slow, and jump (10sec., 1min., and 10min. in both directions - very useful) and zoom. It even plays vlcs and flv files. Unfortunately, it doesn't play rmvb files.
I generally avoid rmvb files like the plague, because they're usually crappy compared to a nice avi.
Sorry I can't help, but can you recommend a real player that's free and doesn't suck?

loleechero

Sep 30, 2007
To convert all format to RM/RMVB, try Google Easy Real Media Producer. Very simple: drag & drop, click convert and done. You can also batch process, adjust bit rate, audio quality, etc. Its a freeware.
May I ask what kind of video you're trying to convert? Normally, for 640x 480 @30 fps video you can compress it about 500kb/s.

. . . I use Media Player Classic for rmvb files and it has practically no features; no fast forward or slow motion . . .
are you sure? try press Ctrl+UP button to fast forward, Ctrl + DOWN to slow motion.
Ctrl + left and ctrl +right for skipping forward and backward (about 5 sec maybe?)

Sorry I can't help, but can you recommend a real player that's free and doesn't suck?
Try FLV player, GOM player, KMPlayer. FLV doesn't support RMVB. I use FLV, but for RMVB I stick to MPC. Or you can google Real Alternative codec.

Lol, I have the reverse question. How do you convert RMVB to avi?
Use SUPER. You can also try TMPGEnc. I use TMPGEnc. Google is your friend :)

All programs I mentioned above are freeware except TMPGEnc, but you can still convert all format to AVI/mpg without limitations.

RickyDicky

Dec 27, 2007
@RickyDicky

Media Player: RealPlayer
Thanks but RealPlayer notoriously sucks balls, much like that other pariah of the interwebs, Adobe Acrobat.
"...horrible bloated crapware and their file format is junk." ...a “I’ll become your default player no matter what you say!” attitude, [and] their ridiculous all-spam 'message center,' and other invasions of our machines." are just a few of the choice quotes used to describe RealCrap's invasive, overbearing tactics. While I hate people that say "Google it, " I'm not above saying Google "RealPlayer sucks."

wenling85

Dec 30, 2008
well, there is a software that is especilly develop to solve the conversion problem. You can google video converter, and there are many that kind of softwares for you.
I have only tried one called iskysoft video converter that converts videos problely for 5 minutes for a video last an hour and a half. The quality is quite good. You may go to their website and free download it.
http://www.hd-dvd-ripper.net/video-converter.html#139