RJ45 Network 8P8C Ethernet Splitter Connector

jaden

Apr 1, 2007
I think you maybe talking about an Ethernet splitter. For 100Mb/s commonly called fast Ethernet you can use the 4 pair cable for two Ethernet runs or part of the cable for Network and part for phone lines.

Fast Ethernet uses pairs 1,4 and 3,6. The other pairs are actually unused.
An example:
You have one CAT 5 cable run from your switch to desktop. You add another computer to that location. You would just run anther CAT 5 cable for the second computer. A quick solution is to use a splitter at each end. Now your using that one CAT 5 cable for two computers.

This is not the case for Gigabit Ethernet commonly used today. It uses all four of the pairs. So this is never really seen or used anymore.

Hope this helps.

Muz1234

Nov 6, 2013
You mean it is a cheap hub? I bought two of these, and it only detects one computer...

I guess I have to buy a switch in order to hub two of my computers...

jaden

Apr 1, 2007
It is not a cheap hub. You still have to have two ports to plug the two computers into. But this only works for very old 100Mb/s fast Ethernet. It is hard to find a 100Mb/s switch for sale now a days.
Yes the best thing is buying a cheap switch. You should be able to find a 4 port for $10. If you have a router from your ISP it usually has 4 ports on the back also.

I have a 12 port 100Mb/s that I am going to e-waste when I can get to the place to drop it off.