[Ripping DRM'd dvds] anyone knows how to do it?

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
I have a couple of Gravure DVD's from the manufacturer called "Aircontrol"
and oh boy they are the only DVD's that i could never rip with all the ripping softwares that i tried.

Any one have a lead on this ?

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
There's a few that can do the job.

I always try DVDDecrypter first even though it's been discontinued for a very long time since it works for most DVDs but some do use newer protection it can't beat.

If it fails, then you can use AnyDVD(not free), DVDFab HD Decrypter or DVDFab Passkey(Not free but has a trial and a limited free version after that might works still for DVDs) or Makemkv(free while in beta I think and it's been in beta since forever ago, but it copies(not re-encode) the DVD into a mkv file so it can be trickier to use it as a source in other encoding softwares) which are all current solutions.

Reactions: swahswah

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
looks like im gonna have to wait to rip these lol. i managed to rip most of my DVD's but there are about 3 dvds released by Air-control , they're the only ones having problem being read and ripped.
I'd say good job on piracy protection on their part

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It's super old too, probably only has the same decryption as DVDDecrypter

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
I suppose i should just wait it out. some DVDs few months ago i was not able to rip as well. but when i updated some softwares they were able to rip it now.
it's really a bitch but i guess that's why i cant find some of these titles on the streaming sites or in the internet in general either.

Reactions: Casshern2

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
With the dvdfab trial or makemkv you should be able to get it done, if you haven't tried already. Those should be fairly up-to-date.

Last edited:

Casshern2

Senior Member...I think
Mar 22, 2008
I suppose i should just wait it out. some DVDs few months ago i was not able to rip as well. but when i updated some softwares they were able to rip it now.
it's really a bitch but i guess that's why i cant find some of these titles on the streaming sites or in the internet in general either.
Which titles, if you don't mind me asking?

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
Which titles, if you don't mind me asking?

hold on, i'll go recheck which one i was unable to rip there was a couple of AV dvd's mixed in these as well lol so im gonna go thru all of them again

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
here's two that's having an error being read or ripped
OME-324 (VLC or any other player wont even play this back in February, it was only playing on a dedicated dvd player / ps4 - but as of now im able to play it on PC but no luck ripping still)
OME-360 ( this came out last month this is also playable now but wont rip as well)

I'll add more if i come across some more that wont rip at all

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
With the dvdfab trial or makemkv you should be able to get it done, if you haven't tried already. Those should be fairly up-to-date.

tried both already still no luck on this~

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
Been looking more into makemkv today since I was messing around with some of my bd drives and wanted proper playback on my htpc and apparently new bd protection are updated the day after they get released pretty much always apparently so I doubt waiting would fix your issue since DVD protections most likely aren't any different.

Does it give you any kind of error when you try opening the disc(File->Open disc->Select the disc drive with the DVD you wanna rip) with makemkv? If it can open it, then it can decrypt it so if it fails ripping it, then it's likely an issue with your DVD drive that can't read the disc properly.

swahswah

Dec 3, 2009
Been looking more into makemkv today since I was messing around with some of my bd drives and wanted proper playback on my htpc and apparently new bd protection are updated the day after they get released pretty much always apparently so I doubt waiting would fix your issue since DVD protections most likely aren't any different.

Does it give you any kind of error when you try opening the disc(File->Open disc->Select the disc drive with the DVD you wanna rip) with makemkv? If it can open it, then it can decrypt it so if it fails ripping it, then it's likely an issue with your DVD drive that can't read the disc properly.

MakeMkv and my drive reads it fine, problem is you wont be able to rip it. makemkv just gets stuck trying to load it. altho you can watch the dvd via VLC. ive only had issues like this on stuff that "AIRCONTROL" releases. its really weird. Other Dvd that comes from other producers were problem free when it comes to ripping

also take note, only with DVD! lol BD no issues thus far

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
What does the log say when makemkv gets stuck trying to load it?

If it can't load it, then makemkv doesn't read it fine :p But since VLC does, shouldn't be the issue.

Thinking about it, if VLC can read it, then it's decrypting it fine and apparently it can also rip DVDs I just learned with a google search: https://www.howtogeek.com/howto/2696/how-to-rip-dvds-with-vlc/
Not sure how well it works though. I'd try the dump raw input and encode it with something else.

Edit: Make sure to disable all other software like dvdfab before loading it with makemkv if it's not already, they don't always play nice together.

Reactions: Casshern2

KiT2021

Apr 13, 2021
Do you have another drive / PC with with a different drive to test it?
I have a similar issue ripping CDs. My current PC is not able to do it but my very old Lenovo z60t notebook is able to rip every CD so far.