Ripping a BluRay movie from Disk to an Mp4 file

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
I have a BluRay movie I bought on disk, but I would like to make a high quality Mp4 to put to a digital archive backup. There was a page here at one time that explained how to make a high quality rip of a DVD, or a BluRay. I remember it being a very long process depending on the quality selected. I have Avidemux 2.6 installed already, but I remember needing some kind of decryptor of some kind.

Anyone have a link to a good step by step on the entire process?

Advanced Thanks

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
You're probably thinking of the MeguIV/it thread in the tech support section. I recently repackaged what Rollyco and Vitreous did with a more recent version of their packaging software so that it would be compatible with windows vista and up(the original works on 7, but it's not really straightforward to get there) which you can get here: https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...d-encoder-v1-0-1-1.73866/page-51#post-3167139

The changes vitreous made made it possible to rip BluRay as well as DVDs if I remember properly so it should work for you.

Here's the original instruction made by vitreous on how to use it: https://www.akiba-online.com/thread...d-encoder-v1-0-1-1.73866/page-50#post-2718024
You can also check the first post of the thread which contains the instructions for the original version, it might help to get a general idea on how the basics work in a bit more detail.

There's one step not mentioned in there that you need to do before using it and that's the decrypting of the disc onto your hard drive.
You need a software like anydvdhd or one of the dvdfab product(I forgot which one) and it should be pretty straightforward(select you bluray player and find the option rip to disk or something similar). The important thing is that you rip the files instead of to an ISO since MeguIVit won't accept an ISO file(you'd have to extract it first).
It's not something I've done often since I usually get already decrypted ISO and haven't had the need to rip the discs I do have so I don't remember the exact process, but if you can't figure it out, I'll make you a step by step guide.

I've been told recently that the anydvdhd trial can rip to the hard disc for free so I'd give that one a try.

If you really were thinking of this section, then it's likely the thread I made just below this one that you're thinking about(Mostly automatic encoding/preparing for posting process), but that version is a bit outdated and doesn't work with bluray. The new one I'm working one does, but it's not quite ready yet and I'm doing it veeeerrrry slowly so I wouldn't wait for that to come out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Summer-Time-Fun

Summer-Time-Fun

Apr 1, 2007
Thanks SamKook, I appreciate all the links and references you posted. I've got another PC near by that I can put to work