Preparing DVD covers to use in a Media Center and folder thumbnails without GIMP !

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

timscampi

Jul 6, 2008
Hello everyone.
I've been porting the script made by SamKook to Python.
The main advantage is that you'll get rid of The Gimp.

I did it mainly because I didn't use Gimp except for that script and I don't like having software I don't use.
You don't need GIMP to use this one.

You have 2 options to run it:
- If you already have Python 2.7 and PIL installed, you can just download the script and put it in the directory containing the movies
- If you don't have Python, you can download the .exe version, which bundles everything you'll need to run it. You don't need to install anything.

It's used exactly like the script from SamKook and includes all of the presets from his file.
However, this is the first version, so I can't guarantee that each file will crop correctly. My JAV collection is not big and so I don't have many to test with.
Most notably, the preset Natural High (ABC-001) is know not to work, because I didn't find the actual cover to test it.
As I don't understand Script-fu (GIMP's scripting language.) I had to make guesses sometimes. So, some cropping might be a little off.
If you spot an error, please post your feedback and the cover which cropped incorrectly.

The script is licensed under GNU GPL v3 so you can distribute, modify and copy the script, but please give credits if you do so.
The .py file has many comments explaining what each part of the script does.

How to use it:
Your movie folder must be structured like this:
Movies
|-DOM-001
|---DOM-001.jpg
|-MIRD089
|---MIRD089.jpg
etc

It'll output 2 files:
folder.jpg - It'll replace the folder icon in thumbnail mode
poster.jpg - It'll act as the movie poster in your Media Center

Plans for the future:
- Add more presets if needed
- Add command line arguments to specify which folders to process
- Add a GUI to select the folder to process
- Add a scrapper to populate the information displayed in the Media Center

Thanks to SamHook for the original script and the many presets it contains.

Edit 04-05-2015; I won't bump this, but I just found this script again and uploaded it to my GitHub. I may update it in the future or include it in some other project(s).

Last edited:

SamKook

Grand Wizard
Staff member
Super Moderator
Uploader
May 10, 2009
It's nice to see that people are actually using it(or used it in this case).

If you want to test ABC-001, here's the official website page which has the cover I used: http://www.naturalhigh.co.jp/r1/detailes.php?id=ABC-001

I can't test it to see the results since I don't have a need for python, but if you have questions about my script, you can always pm me and I'll be glad to answer them.

timscampi

Jul 6, 2008
Thank you for endorsing my port of your script :) I really couldn't have done it without your Gimp version. (As I got the general algorithm and figured the presets from your got.)
I actually took a small break from coding because of my summer job but I'll be getting back to it soon to fix some bugs I noticed (Mainly that it processes some files two times, overcropping them.)

I'll also finish the ABC-001 preset as I now have the cover (Thank you ;) )