Ring on the middle finger?

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Asked a girl out today. She had no rings on her hands except one -- on her third finger of her left hand. I asked if she wanted to go get coffee. She said she was in a relationship.

... is there something I should know? Is the middle finger the new fourth finger? Is it the "I'm not married, I'm not engaged, but I do have a boyfriend" finger? Or what?

aznvietguy411

Oct 14, 2009
No usually the middle finger with a ring means like it's either a promise ring, or a friendship ring, or just regular attire. I mean if it's like the ring finger then obviously she would be married unless stated that she is or not.

Astb

Nov 7, 2007
To my knowledge (and I am a girl), there's nothing about a ring on the middle finger meaning anything. From what I know, promise rings are usually left on the ring finger of the right hand. I could be wrong though. Ask someone who believes in purity balls and you'll have your answer about that.

I have rings on my left ring finger and I still get asked out all the time. I'm not sure that a ring means anything to anyone anymore, even the one's who are married... :dunno: I guess I could just be pessimistic, but... that's how it is for me.

Sakunyuusha

Jan 27, 2008
Rather than deter them, a wedding ring will attract men who pursue married women. A "stay the fuck away from me" ring, were our society to invent one, would still attract those men who pursue the hardest of hard-to-get women.

To be honest, and this may just be the inexperienced and hopeless romantic in me talking but whatever, I think that the institution of marriage (and by extension the importance we should place on the presence or absence of a wedding band on one's ring finger) is not as important as the depth of the love between two people. I can sum my take on this up in two simple words: Doctor Zhivago. My point here, then, is that while it's inappropriate to pursue a woman one hardly knows who has a wedding band, it may not only be appropriate to pursue her but just if she is one's soulmate and she, or the self, has married only because they thought the other lost.

In other news, one of the low points of this year's Thanksgiving holiday weekend was when my parents got into an argument over my lack of a girlfriend. My dad raged on that no son of his was going to wind up a bachelor-for-life (like one of his friends) or a doesn't-get-married-until-he's-50 (like another of his friends), while my mother took the position that while she didn't want me to be a bachelor-for-life she also didn't think it appropriate to foist an お見合い onto me. In the meanwhile, my cat snuggled up against me in the relative quietude of my bedroom as I played Pokemon Heart Gold. lol

xeffects

Jun 5, 2009
Reminds me of my ex whom I almost married. I gave her a promise ring but, I took it back from her and she paid $20 to get it resized, lol. I carry the promise ring with me all the time, I paid $130 for it and I was not going to let her keep it and pawn it at some shop, it means a lot to me, even if it didn't mean anything to her towards the end of our relationship.