Red screen of death..

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

marcel2k

Feb 5, 2009
The red screen that pops up continuously saying something about too many Japanese online because of evening time is frustrating....This didn't happen before the recent downtime...Did AO get a new server with a much-reduced traffic capacity?

CoolKevin

Nutcase on the loose
Staff member
Super Moderator
Mar 30, 2007
thank you, but at the moment we have a higher quantity of visitors than normal, because I think most are still trying to catch up on what they have missed, and it is still improving

loginer

Follow the rules!
Mar 17, 2011
It's getting worse and worse as if a hacker is overloading the site with traffic/bandwidth.

EzikialRage

Nov 20, 2008
Does the red screen of death show up to Japanese users as this "Uh-oh... it's probably evening time in the United States and too many users are online. Please try again a little later." but in Japanese instead of English?

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
503 errors mean you are loading too many pages at the same time. There is a hard-coded limit of 5 concurrent connections. You are more likely to see this when the site is busy, because pages take longer to load.

502 errors mean the server is well and truly overloaded.

I changed the error messages' text and color to highlight the difference.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
If you send me your password via PM, I can login as you and do some more testing. I can't replicate the problem with any of my accounts.

porkar

Apr 2, 2007
I had the red screen 2 minutes ago but I tried again and it connected ok.

MrGame

Apr 6, 2007
same for me

I don't often post, but ditto for me. Firefox 3.6.18 (highest 3 version) and multiple tabs, but each tab is loaded before I load the next one.

50/50. Either immediately to the 503 screen or a pause with the browser stating "Waiting for www.akiba-online.com...". If it pauses the page will eventually load. Otherwise an immediate 503 RSOD.

loginer

Follow the rules!
Mar 17, 2011
I noticed I even get them when I try to get to the website (not even logged in yet). So this thing is pretty random.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
The site prioritizes logged-in users. If you browse the site when you're not logged in, you're much more likely to experience 50x errors.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I'll be honest, I'm kind of stumped. I browse this site constantly, and don't experience any 50x errors. None of the staff have reported 50x errors recently, and they are also heavy users.

Maybe it's a browser thing... What browser are you using? What browser addons do you have installed and activated?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I get the 503 "red screen of death" often when I first visit here but I use Tor. Once I am logged in I dont get the 503 errors anymore. It is just trying to get the initial page that can be frustrating.

Rollyco

Team Tomoe
Oct 4, 2007
I use Tor.
Once I am logged in

FYI, logging in to an unencrypted website such as this one through Tor is very insecure. Your password and 100% of your traffic are easily sniffed by any exit node operator willing to spend 10 minutes setting up some software.

sp-mxs5md

Feb 2, 2009
503 errors mean you are loading too many pages at the same time. There is a hard-coded limit of 5 concurrent connections. You are more likely to see this when the site is busy, because pages take longer to load.
Hello Rollyco,

I get the error randomly in Opera and Firefox, logged or not.

Does the 5 concurrent connections limit relate to "network.http.max-connections-per-server" in Firefox (default: 15) and "Max Connections Server" in Opera (default: 16)?

Has this value been changed since the site came back online?

Thanks

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
FYI, logging in to an unencrypted website such as this one through Tor is very insecure. Your password and 100% of your traffic are easily sniffed by any exit node operator willing to spend 10 minutes setting up some software.

Old news but basically no big deal. Tor is very anonymous and with the traffic coming out of your average exit node it is basically secure, (although I wouldnt do my banking through Tor). I am not worried. I just like to stay anon, it is no business of my ISP where I surf and it acts as a firewall filtering direct http connections. I dont do anything illegal using Tor so I dont worry.

Thanks for caring.
:)