Recommend Fighting Anime (Like Baki the Grappler)

UrufuBlue

Dec 12, 2008
Alright I need some help finding a new fighting/martial arts/sports anime series in line with Baki the Grappler, DBZ, Hajime no Ippo, Fight of the North Star, etc... you know the formula, characters get stronger as they constantly face off against new enemies lots of fights and manliness. Trying to discover stuff I haven't heard of so skip recommending the super popular shounen anime (Naruto, Bleach, One Piece, etc...) thanks!

Basically trying to find something to replace Baki the Grappler after finishing the 2001 series
Baki_Screen_Capture_040_by_BAKIfanC.jpg

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I haven't watched a lot of those, many thanks for the reccomendation, I will look into them. No weapons then? because like you said, that is a common theme in anime, if there is one., where the protagnist gets stronger over the lenght of the series.

I am actually a little cowed by some of the real anime fans, with all I have seen I am constantly reminded I have not seen that much at all. Still, I will give it a try. Posted in the torrent section:

Hero Tales
Berserk (not a martial arts/sports themed but some pretty good fighting)
History's Strongest Disciple

and not posted in the torrent section (I will have to fix that)

YuYu Hakusho which actually sounds right up your alley (although you wouldn't know it from the description)

If you can handle a little fanfare you might try any of the Ikki Tousen series, they are all about martial arts fighting. Although the series doesn't take itself that serious it is a lot of fun and the combat scenes are excellent.

UrufuBlue

Dec 12, 2008
Thanks for the recommendations I'll look into Kenichi I've heard of it before but haven't really checked it out, Berserk is great and I like Yu yu hakusho and might check out ikki tousen too haha

Reactions: Ceewan

Noid936

Dec 7, 2014
I liked History's strongest disciple too and definitely recommend it!
I know this is one of the more popular anime but have you watched rurouni kenshin?

Ceewan

Famished
Jul 23, 2008
I thought Ben-To was pretty fun and might fit the bill. It is a short series, funny, and has a novice fighter just starting out.

Speeny

Sep 28, 2013
Sekirei could be classed as a fighting Anime. (With a lot of fan-service might I add.)

Elldallan

Jan 19, 2013
I liked History's strongest disciple too and definitely recommend it!
You ought to look up the managa if you've only watched the anime so far, it continues for a looong time after the anime, and it's awesome. :D

I thought Ben-To was pretty fun and might fit the bill. It is a short series, funny, and has a novice fighter just starting out.
It was, the storyline is very quirky :p so might not be for everybody, I wouldn't call it a typical fighting anime :D