Megaupload Shut Down - Filesonic stops filesharing - latest news about filehosting

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Electromog

Akiba Citizen
Dec 7, 2009
The reason they could take down MU is that you can't maintain you as owner of a file sharing site can't know there's illegal material until it is pointed out to you, if the owner himself puts illegal material on his site. In my opinion MU would've been ok if not for that, as long as they kept removing all files they got complaints about.

I really hope the owners have enough money for a decent legal defense, so somebody finally attacks the claims the MIAA always makes about how much money piracy is costing them. They have no proof at all that it costs them *anything*. Everybody knows their calculations assume every illegal download means one less sale, and this clearly isn't true. There's lots of people who only watch their stuff because it's free and they wouldn't buy it even if that was the only way to see it. However, as long as nobody stands up to them and disputes those calculations they can keep on doing it.

That's why I'm sure they won't sue youtube as they know very well google has the money to go up against them and win, and then there's be legal precedence for all other people to use.

manmanx

Akiba Citizen
May 4, 2010
The biggest files library is Xunlei which partly owned by Google.

Xunlei keeps copy of almost every files which shared by its BT client in its server.

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
The biggest files library is Xunlei which partly owned by Google.

Xunlei keeps copy of almost every files which shared by its BT client in its server.

unfortunately it also shares your entire HD in the network ...

donnyxme

Apr 8, 2007
fileserve not even bother to put up any warning about their file restriction on their main page, unlike filesonic. One would think they would scam some money from unlucky new subscribers who happened to be not aware of the situation? :thief:

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
whats next?

is this the end of the filesharing era?

greetings sorfer

No, torrents still works, and DHT/Magnet cannot be shutdown, people just won't be able to profit from upload or control they little world like in a bittorrent tracker.

itsrekka

lurker
Dec 25, 2011
i had premium with filesonic and wupload now i :cry: ...i go back to torrents soon but...torrents just seem a little unsafe in comparison....randomly i wonder why there are no filehost servers in japan:puzzled:

Desu

アッチョンブリケ
Jun 25, 2009
uhm what about opening a jav tracker? something like bakabt?

Syobon

(´・ω・`)
Dec 22, 2009
uhm what about opening a jav tracker? something like bakabt?

I think the safest way would be like piratebay, no registration necessary, no logs just a plain website to upload .torrent/magnet link with description and place for comments.

sorfer

Jun 20, 2009
ok torrents are up and coming, but what about filehosts like mu, are they history?

greetings sorfer

Aiia

Mar 2, 2007
But RapidShare still works?
This is kinda stupid. I signed up for FileSonic like 2 weeks ago. Just for a month but anyway. Why would I not be able to share my files with others? That's a BASIC feature. It's incredible stupid to remove it. Makes no sense at all. If only the uploader can reach the files, there is really no use for these sites any longer since there are other venues for uploading files to store online like Amazon, Google, DropBox etc. This also means that I can not share files I upload with my friends and family if I would like to do so, which are legitimate uses for these sites and which makes this move even more stupid.

As I said. I signed up for FileSonic 2 weeks ago and it was not for this I signed up. I will NOT renew my account and I'm pondering if I am going to ask for my money back. They have essentially just crippled a service, made it worse and it was not what the user payed for when he signed up.

FILESONIC and other sites will die a slow death and be gone in a few months. No one will use those sites any more. Too bad for all the people that actually used them for legitimate purposes like sharing their own creations or storing their own files. It will be a pleasure to se these sites drop off and die one by one. They deserve it when they do like this.

I guess these sites are scared.
But this only enforces my view that there is a BIG BIG problem with the US Government's CONTROLL over a GLOBAL INTERNET.
ICAN is still a US based company. US is essentially controlling the Internet and can shut down access to any domain. It's really unbelievable this. Just like how the HECK the US goverment occupied a "base-domain" for themselves in .gov. All other countries have their own domain, like .dk .de etc. But USA seized .gov for themselves. What about other governments around the word? Things like this pisses me off. I want my country to get access to the .gov domain too. How come USA can have it for themselves?
ICAN needs to be dissolved and incorporated into the UN and controlled buy all nations. US control over a global internet has to come to a HALT!