Manga Erotopia

• Throughout the month of April 2024, participate in the FileJoker Thread Contest OPEN TO EVERYONE!

From 1st to 30th of April 2024, members can earn cash rewards by posting Filejoker-Exclusive threads in the Direct-Downloads subforums.

There are $1000 in prizes, and the top prize is $450!

For the full rules and how to enter, check out the thread
  • Akiba-Online is sponsored by FileJoker.

FileJoker is a required filehost for all new posts and content replies in the Direct Downloads subforums.

Failure to include FileJoker links for Direct Download posts will result in deletion of your posts or worse.

For more information see
    this thread.

Pourpre

May 12, 2012
Manga Erotopia is the first erotic mangashi, gekiga oriented, first published in 1973 but there is no more info about it.

During my research on Urotsukidôji, I found on 2ch a date for the very first publication of Uro on Manga Erotopia.
This is the answer : 84年の1/5-19合併号から連載開始
I thought Manga Erotopia was a monthly magazine but I read "It started serialization in 1/5 1984 in the double number 19. Double number ? And what about 1/5, what is the order ? 5 January or 1 March ?

In fact, I need urgently info about this (double) number, so if anyone can access Manga Erotopia, I would be very grateful to anyone who could tell me when Uro was first published. I need source, of course and the Graal would be a scan of the cover and the summary where I can see this famous Urotsukidôji chapter one by Maeda Toshio.

If you want, you can use this topic to centralize infos and questions about Manga Erotopia.

elgringo14

Survived to Japan
Super Moderator
Apr 28, 2008
Hi Pourpre, being myself a big fan of historical details about adult mangas and animes, I can add some infos about Manga Erotopia and Urotsukidoji. The first adult-oriented manga magazine started publishing in 1973, though I can't find a corresponding tankoubon collection before 1986, the year Urotsukidoji got his first print as tankoubon. I can tell it was published by Wani Magazine-sha (ワニマガジン社) from that point. Before is was probably under the "Best Seller KK (ベストセラーズKK)" label but with obscure references.

The content of that magazine was probably close to what you can see in seinen magazines these days, which show how the standards have changed since the 1970s. It featured mostly realistic stories with realistic drawings, the early style was heavily influenced by "gravure" or gekiga drawings, but got influenced by the lolicon boom in the mid-80s.

About Urotsukidoji, I have tankoubon publication dates between November 1986 and March 1987, but this can be doubtful as it got many re-releases. I would date the serialization of Urotsukidoji around 1985 and 1986, maybe starting in 1984. 1984 is also Showa year 59, this may help when searching for precise dates.

Comic Kairakuten started as a special issue of Manga Erotopia in 1994, and somehow followed the legacy as Erotopia ceased publication in 2000.

I guess you got your infos from that page:
http://toppycappy.cocolog-nifty.com/muukun/2007/05/84_bc6f.html

And I would trust this is the issue that got the first chapter of Urotsukidoji. 1/5-19合併号 means "merger issue 05/01-19/01". As in Japan there are several holidays in early January, many weekly magazines make double or triple issues, so it was probably the case there. This is also the New Year issue. I could find the 16/08/1984 issue in Yahoo Auctions, and Urotsukidoji is mentioned on the cover.

Manga Erotopia wikipedia page:
http://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/漫画エロトピア

A nice blog with tons of infos about "vintage" adult manga and anthologies, all in japanese of course:
http://gekigakyousuke.blog.fc2.com/

Hope it helps. :perfectplan:

Pourpre

May 12, 2012
Very helpful, elgringo14.

No, it's just some people on 2ch who told me that and I used it as a reference for my research. The cover of your link will help me a lot. The only thing missing is the year but I think I can trust this webpage... and abandon for the moment my obsession about the first shokushu. I found drawing of shokushu into Lemon People of 05/1984 and I thought that questioned Urotsukidôji but apparently not.

me said:
I thought Manga Erotopia was a monthly magazine

Correction : it's a biweekly.
But some covers like that one (just 4月号) don't have a week number like that one (6/5 which is 6月5日号 confirmed by the summary).
Read the date on some of them is a pain in the ass, really... and the year never appear. (Same problem now.)