JavLuv JAV Browser

galactus

Mar 20, 2007
First off, I envy your Japanese fluency. Must be nice to be able to actually understand your favorite movies. After so many years of watching anime and JAV, I'm slowly gaining some spoken fluency, but I'm still at baby-talk levels. So I have to rely on the incredibly rare subtitles I have, many of which I translated myself from Chinese subtitles.

Anyhow, it's not like I haven't added features that don't personally benefit me before. I think it would be worthwhile to make JAV multilingual. It's more about my limited available time and the long list of features I'd like to add.
If I might say so, and I guess others would disagree, most JAV isn't much better, that is more exciting or erotic, if you know exactly what they are saying. I think only in the case of some of the drama leaning vids it makes it worth watching the dialogue instead of zipping to the naughty bits, but it's not really an improvement to know the actress is saying "give me your cum please" compared to "shoot on my face" and all the variations on the theme.

Being able to read the covers, and use DMM and the like is definitely useful. However, this is all fantasy, so being able to imagine the relationships between the actors in your mind without being forced by the actual story and dialogue is a thing too. More than half the time I turn off the sound so I don't have to hear that actor A is the father-in-law or brother, and that actress A is the mother, sister-in-law or the wife. Depending on what I would prefer, I just use my imagination to create the relationship instead. Best of both worlds, I guess?

Regarding Anime subs, I am under the impression there are a LOT of them available. Crunchyroll perhaps? I am sure there are how to learn Japanese through anime websites out there. If you aren't living there and being immersed and forced to learn it through necessity, it can be pretty tough. Good luck with your journey to learn Japanese!

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
If I might say so, and I guess others would disagree, most JAV isn't much better, that is more exciting or erotic, if you know exactly what they are saying. I think only in the case of some of the drama leaning vids it makes it worth watching the dialogue instead of zipping to the naughty bits, but it's not really an improvement to know the actress is saying "give me your cum please" compared to "shoot on my face" and all the variations on the theme.

I suppose it may not be a big thing for you, but it's sort of a novelty for me to be able to understand everyone in a JAV, and it's definitely enhanced my enjoyment of those movies I have subtitles for. To each their own, I guess, which is fine.

dud

Mar 22, 2007
Is it possible to add a filter for folders? For example, I have folders for SD, HD and Unc but just want to view movies from the HD folder. Maybe have some folder viewer checkbox that can be toggled on and off to filter out the folders from view?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hi TmpGuy,

I'm very excited to use this application. You've put tremendous work into it.

I'm having an issue in getting the app to identify and scan the folder I keep my JAV in. The reason is I've hidden the entire drive the folder is on, using a registry hack (for reference, it's this hack: https://www.easeus.com/partition-manager-software/hide-drives-windows.html#4 )

Is it possible for you to provide a field that we can enter the path directly into, rather than just having a search function?

Thanks for reading.

Interesting. I guess if the drive is hidden, there's no way to simply browse to it. I think what I could do is instead bring up a custom dialog which included a field that would allow you to fill out a browse path using either the browser dialog or allow you to type in it manually. As a bonus, I suppose that would let me move the scanning options off the left sidebar and set them in the new Scanning dialog box.

It's sort of a niche issue, but I'll put it on the short list since it's preventing you from scanning your movies.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Is it possible to add a filter for folders? For example, I have folders for SD, HD and Unc but just want to view movies from the HD folder. Maybe have some folder viewer checkbox that can be toggled on and off to filter out the folders from view?

I should be able to make movie file paths searchable in the standard search bar That way, you could just type \SD, \HD, or \Unc in the search bar to find anything under those folders. Technically, the slash wouldn't be necessary, but would help to eliminate false positives, in case those letter combinations are found in other fields.

I've put this on the to-do list.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hi! i have some error "Unable to find online metadata" for some files. What should I do?

Thanks for posting the logs. It looks like with some movies you were getting some odd connection errors that were preventing scraping of multiple sites for specific movies. Like, it would fail to connect to four different sites in a row with the same error. I'm not sure why that would happen for certain movies and not others, though.

If you scan the same movies again, do you get the same errors consistently? Re-scanning should mostly ignore movies that were scanned previously.

Reactions: nozora

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I've released a new version of JavLuv.

You can download the latest version from the first post in this thread. I've incorporated scanner speed and reliability improvements, added a custom dialog for scanning (@emcee.scanner request), search by folder name (@dud request), and a number of other small fixes and improvements.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Hi, Getting a failure to install on the newest build. Oddly, after several uninstalls/reinstalls, I only got the verbose error message once. Thankfully I screenshotted it, so here it is.

Attachments

• javluv error.png
    javluv error.png
    100.6 KB · Views: 65

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Hi, Getting a failure to install on the newest build. Oddly, after several uninstalls/reinstalls, I only got the verbose error message once. Thankfully I screenshotted it, so here it is.

I'm glad you at least caught the extended error once. Looks like you're getting hit with a very rare WPF (Microsoft's graphics framework I'm using) bug. By any chance are you using a custom windows shell/taskbar or running either remote/virtual? It seems to occur most often in these circumstances.

The root cause seems to be when JavLuv interacts with the icon in the toolbar to indicate when it's scanning, or setting an error status, and the Windows API fails for some reason (like the taskbar is hidden, or in the case of remote access, no local user is signed in). Short of simply removing this feature, which I'd obviously prefer not to do, I think there are some options available for me to fix this, but it's going to require some investigation.

Reactions: weppin

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
I'm glad you at least caught the extended error once. Looks like you're getting hit with a very rare WPF (Microsoft's graphics framework I'm using) bug. By any chance are you using a custom windows shell/taskbar or running either remote/virtual?
I think I have a custom shell running, ironically I may have installed it for the purpose of using Javinizer! Or maybe some other video streaming app that I never use. I'll try uninstalling some stuff and see what happens.

I'm very excited about the "browse by folder" feature! (As an aside, I requested that myself several days before @dud did! : )

Also, still wanting a "play random movie" button, click-to-search actor names/tags, and an "export database to Javlibrary (etc) account"! Javinizer actually has that IIRC.

Excellent work nonetheless! This thread needs a sticky on the front page, as someone else said, I agree!!

Reactions: Yorin2

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I think I have a custom shell running, ironically I may have installed it for the purpose of using Javinizer! Or maybe some other video streaming app that I never use. I'll try uninstalling some stuff and see what happens.
By "custom shell", I mean something that replaces the Windows taskbar. I'm not talking about Powershell, btw - that should be perfectly safe. But there does seem to be something about your system that's triggering this bug. If you can think of anything else, let me know.

I'm very excited about the "browse by folder" feature! (As an aside, I requested that myself several days before @dud did! : )
Ah, yeah, I thought your request was more about a visual Explorer-like experience, showing a directory tree or something, although maybe I misunderstood.

What I implemented was a bit simpler. You can now type the name of the folder in the search bar, and only movies in those folders are left in the browser window. So, if you have a folder called "Favorites", you can type \fav and only those movies will show in the browser. Technically, you don't need the backslash, but it helps prevents false positives.

Maybe I'll figure out some better options later, but this was just one line of code added. Figured this would be good for now.

Also, still wanting a "play random movie" button, click-to-search actor names/tags, and an "export database to Javlibrary (etc) account"! Javinizer actually has that IIRC.

Well, no guarantees on if or when I can get to some of those. I've got kind of a long todo list and limited free time, so I prioritize by bug fixes, difficulty, and overall utility. And of course, anything I personally would find handy tends to get bumped up a bit. I mean, in fairness, I really wrote JavLuv for my own use, after all.

Excellent work nonetheless! This thread needs a sticky on the front page, as someone else said, I agree!!

Yeah, seems like it would be easier for people to find that way. Maybe it could replace the JAV Database thread, which seems to be a dead project now.

Reactions: weppin

KingofBugs

Aug 31, 2022
I am glad I stumbled upon this now. I was just in the process of organizing my collection and this helps greatly with that when compared to my initial plan.

Reactions: TmpGuy

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013

I've got an experimental build that may fix the crash you've experienced. Let me know how it works.

Edit: Removed links

Last edited:

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
This is great work TmpGuy. It worked flawlessly up to now. I cant thank you enough for this as ive spend countless hundred of hours renaming my files in the past and this just simplifies it all. If a cover gets missed and I have it then I just drop it in the folder. So simple.

Ive been a member her for about 12 years or something and used to be very active but dont often post now but I thought I had to say a Big Thank You for JavLuv.

Reactions: mei2 and TmpGuy

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
I've got an experimental build that may fix the crash you've experienced. Let me know how it works.

Setup_JavLuv.msi
JavLuv.zip
It didn't work. : ( Error message is attached. (ed. There may have been more text but the error message box wasn't scrollable, resizeable, or copy/pastable.)

Two points to mention, though. First, the attached error message didn't show up until I actually attempted to run the program. In other words, the program appeared to install correctly, and didn't fail until it was run for the first time.

Second point is, the new build wouldn't even install without failure until the old version was uninstalled. I had the same problem the last time I attempted to update to a newer version. So perhaps uninstalling before an update is called for? Or perhaps that's just my case?

Anyway thanks for trying so hard! Looking forward to the new features once I can have them!

Attachments

• javluv error 2.png
    javluv error 2.png
    406.4 KB · Views: 56

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
It didn't work. : ( Error message is attached. (ed. There may have been more text but the error message box wasn't scrollable, resizeable, or copy/pastable.)

Two points to mention, though. First, the attached error message didn't show up until I actually attempted to run the program. In other words, the program appeared to install correctly, and didn't fail until it was run for the first time.

Second point is, the new build wouldn't even install without failure until the old version was uninstalled. I had the same problem the last time I attempted to update to a newer version. So perhaps uninstalling before an update is called for? Or perhaps that's just my case?

Anyway thanks for trying so hard! Looking forward to the new features once I can have them!

Hmm, typically, you're supposed to be able to install right on top of the existing program.

Also, ironically, I noticed that this particular error is actually due to me forgetting to update the setup script with some new libraries used to work around that error. Here are links to updated versions. It should at least fix that latest error, and then we can see if the original error is fixed as well.

Edit: deleted old links.

Last edited:

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
While I'm waiting to install the zipped version, I noticed this odd thing - a list of moves available to be played, and none of them are the movie listed in the info page! Other movies have a similar problem, sometimes listing the movie indicated and a few others as well. Different labels, too. Strange?

Attachments

• javluv error wrong IDs displayed.png
    javluv error wrong IDs displayed.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 72

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Hmm, typically, you're supposed to be able to install right on top of the existing program.

Also, ironically, I noticed that this particular error is actually due to me forgetting to update the setup script with some new libraries used to work around that error. Here are links to updated versions. It should at least fix that latest error, and then we can see if the original error is fixed as well.

Setup_JavLuv.msi
JavLuv.zip
Installing the zipped version didn't change the "failure to run" message.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Installing the zipped version didn't change the "failure to run" message.
Is that a different message than what you posted earlier? If so, could you post a screenshot?

To be clear, after you unzipped and launched JavLuv.exe, you saw an error right away, or only after you tried to scan files?