JavLuv JAV Browser

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Really enjoying the Sort by Actress feature, and its associated sorting mechanisms! I like knowing how many movies I have by any given actress.

Will there ever be an "export to online database" feature for Javluv? I so want to know what movies I already have when I am on Javlibrary.

Reactions: Moxy

fanofthefans

Aug 13, 2022
I'm using Notes section to store web address for actress database from various sites. It is possible to make links to web pages clickable to open in browser?

TmpGuy

JavLuv author, lesbian connoisseur
Jun 1, 2013
Really enjoying the Sort by Actress feature, and its associated sorting mechanisms! I like knowing how many movies I have by any given actress.

Will there ever be an "export to online database" feature for Javluv? I so want to know what movies I already have when I am on Javlibrary.

I've got in in my task list: https://github.com/JavLuv/JavLuv/issues/13

I'm using Notes section to store web address for actress database from various sites. It is possible to make links to web pages clickable to open in browser?

I think that's possible, but not trivial. Initial investigation seems to indicate I'll need to create a custom control to do this, or find an existing one out there that does the job. I'll put it on the task list.

As always, I make no promises about when or even if I get to any of the tasks on the list. Keep in mind I'm just one TmpGuy working on this in my spare time, so I appreciate your patience.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Another issue/question - what to do about multiple entries for the same actress?

The simplest error I see so far is just transposing the first and last name, as Japanese names are often written in last/first order, but also get written in first/last order. There is also the issue of pseudonym entries, however.

So for example, I've got entries for Abe Mikako, and also Mikako Abe, with a totally different set of movies for each actress entry (as would be expected).

Short of manually renaming the entry for each film in one of the lists, how might his problem be corrected?

BTW, I *have* discovered that I can edit the name of an actress over the image on the main actress info page, which is a bit of a help.

For example, Aoi Rena was for some strange reason named as "Blue" (?), I was simply able to edit her name directly and successfully, with no problem.

But, trying to rename the Mikako Abe entry to Abe Mikako gave me a "name already in use" message.

Your thoughts?

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Another issue/question - what to do about multiple entries for the same actress?

The simplest error I see so far is just transposing the first and last name, as Japanese names are often written in last/first order, but also get written in first/last order. There is also the issue of pseudonym entries, however.

So for example, I've got entries for Abe Mikako, and also Mikako Abe, with a totally different set of movies for each actress entry (as would be expected).

Short of manually renaming the entry for each film in one of the lists, how might his problem be corrected?

BTW, I *have* discovered that I can edit the name of an actress over the image on the main actress info page, which is a bit of a help.

For example, Aoi Rena was for some strange reason named as "Blue" (?), I was simply able to edit her name directly and successfully, with no problem.

But, trying to rename the Mikako Abe entry to Abe Mikako gave me a "name already in use" message.

Your thoughts?

Yeah, names have to be unique. In your case, probably the simplest way to deal with this is to select both names in the Actress View, right-click, then select Merge Actresses... When the dialog pops up, you select the version that's most correct, in this case, which I think is Mikako Abe. JavLuv expects first-last name order (for now).

(Just an example with two different actresses)
1670897166300.png

Before you do that, however, you may wish to decide if you want to sync your movie metadata to the actress database. What does this do exactly? You've apparently got some movie entries with "Abe Mikako" listed instead of "Mikako Abe". Now, when you merge the actresses, "Abe Mikako" will be listed as an alternate name, and you'll need to keep it so ensure those movies are recognized as hers. OR... you could check this option in Settings:

1670896582332.png

What that will do is to make sure that whatever you set as the primary name, it will automatically change the metadata to match. This means you could then merge the actresses, then get rid of the alternate name with the incorrect ordering. So, this option searches all the metadata and essentially corrects this.

I left this option off by default because it does mean that JavLuv can edit a bunch of your movie metadata just by typing a different name for an actress, so you have to be a bit careful. Once you check this, it's going to edit ALL your movie metadata this way. But I use it myself, and haven't run into issues. I prefer my movie metadata to list an actress' current name, even if she used to go by a different names. It's just easier to keep track of that way.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Yeah, names have to be unique. In your case, probably the simplest way to deal with this is to select both names in the Actress View, right-click, then select Merge Actresses... When the dialog pops up, you select the version that's most correct, in this case, which I think is Mikako Abe. JavLuv expects first-last name order (for now).

(Just an example with two different actresses)
View attachment 3116888

Before you do that, however, you may wish to decide if you want to sync your movie metadata to the actress database. What does this do exactly? You've apparently got some movie entries with "Abe Mikako" listed instead of "Mikako Abe". Now, when you merge the actresses, "Abe Mikako" will be listed as an alternate name, and you'll need to keep it so ensure those movies are recognized as hers. OR... you could check this option in Settings:

View attachment 3116886

What that will do is to make sure that whatever you set as the primary name, it will automatically change the metadata to match. This means you could then merge the actresses, then get rid of the alternate name with the incorrect ordering. So, this option searches all the metadata and essentially corrects this.

I left this option off by default because it does mean that JavLuv can edit a bunch of your movie metadata just by typing a different name for an actress, so you have to be a bit careful. Once you check this, it's going to edit ALL your movie metadata this way. But I use it myself, and haven't run into issues. I prefer my movie metadata to list an actress' current name, even if she used to go by a different names. It's just easier to keep track of that way.
A couple of questions about all this.

So you're saying that if I merge two actresses (another cool and deep feature of Javluv that I would have never discovered on my own!) then I'll need to *keep* the entry for the actress that has the "incorrect" (or not preferred) name, is that correct? I.e. if I were to delete the incorrectly-named entry, then I would lose access to some of the films that had previously been listed under that incorrect name? Perhaps I'm wrong about that, it's not quite clear.

Second, if I use the "automatic synchronize" feature, then I will be able to edit the name of the actress as it appears over her profile pic, and all the movies in her list will have their names changed to that name? That actually appeals to me because I've got a lot of secondary names being used as primary names, and thus those movies aren't appearing under the actresses' main list.

So, using the "merging" feature will not be necessary, if using the automatic synch feature? Because Javluv will essentially do that automatically, yes? It will essentially prune all the alternate entries from the actress list, and leave only a single entey, with the "official" name? Please correct any errors I've made in this analysis.

It sounds like a good feature that I'd be eager to use if it works the way I'm describing.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
A couple of questions about all this.

So you're saying that if I merge two actresses (another cool and deep feature of Javluv that I would have never discovered on my own!) then I'll need to *keep* the entry for the actress that has the "incorrect" (or not preferred) name, is that correct? I.e. if I were to delete the incorrectly-named entry, then I would lose access to some of the films that had previously been listed under that incorrect name? Perhaps I'm wrong about that, it's not quite clear.

Yes, that's correct. Without turning on the "auto sychronize" option, your actress has to match up with the metadata. Or, you could just edit the movie metadata manually, of course.

Second, if I use the "automatic synchronize" feature, then I will be able to edit the name of the actress as it appears over her profile pic, and all the movies in her list will have their names changed to that name? That actually appeals to me because I've got a lot of secondary names being used as primary names, and thus those movies aren't appearing under the actresses' main list.

Yeah, or if you just add an alternate name, it will change the metadata to use the primary name instead. If you get an error, it just means you've got a duplicate actress entry, and should merge them.

So, using the "merging" feature will not be necessary, if using the automatic synch feature? Because Javluv will essentially do that automatically, yes? It will essentially prune all the alternate entries from the actress list, and leave only a single entey, with the "official" name? Please correct any errors I've made in this analysis.

Well, it depends. In the case you presented, you'd still want to merge the actresses to get rid of the duplicate entry, I presume. It just means that it takes care of the cleanup of the movie metadata for you, so it always matches the actress information better.

It sounds like a good feature that I'd be eager to use if it works the way I'm describing.

Yeah, it was kind of a necessity, because this happens so often. There are not only actresses who have a ton of aliases, but there's not even a guaranteed spelling of many names. Like you'll see Sato and Satou, or Hibiki Otsuki has no less than three common spelling variations. And often, different sites will list different variations.

It's kind of unfortunate, but actresses do take a bit of manual cleanup sometimes.

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Yeah, it was kind of a necessity, because this happens so often. There are not only actresses who have a ton of aliases, but there's not even a guaranteed spelling of many names. Like you'll see Sato and Satou, or Hibiki Otsuki has no less than three common spelling variations. And often, different sites will list different variations.

It's kind of unfortunate, but actresses do take a bit of manual cleanup sometimes.

Haha a bit of manual cleanup :) before JavLuv I made my own linkable RTF kinda think and Added the info in brackets at the end of the title name so JavLuvs bit of manual editing is like Joyous editing compared to the shite I had to go though. Only think that would be great is if it say logged into my JavLibrary account and added if I have it :) Oh to dream :)

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Was going through my actresses with no image to correct when I came across this strange anomaly but I cannot work out what the correct name or the actress is. Its not JavLuvs fault as you will see. If you look at the last image and the cover Art then it looks like she is a think but can someone enlightened explain @you (Does it have meaning in Japanese)

Screenshot 2022-12-14 120952.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 121438.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 121546.jpgScreenshot 2022-12-14 122631.jpg

Last edited:

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Found something else. I recently added BBAN-402, 403 and 405 so I used the recently added feature and they all appear at the bottom which seems counter intuitive to me. This is version 1.1.14

Screenshot 2022-12-14 134547.jpg

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Don't know if this is an Easter egg or what but it showed up completely coincidentally today and I got a kick out of it.

"Birthday cake icon"!

Attachments

• bday 1.png
    bday 1.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 55
  • bday 2.png
    bday 2.png
    971.9 KB · Views: 57

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Just an update on utilizing the "merge actress" and/or "auto synchronize" features.

It turns out I had already turned on the auto synchronize feature, so that action had already taken place in my collection. The result was, I still had multiple entries for actresses, under different aliases.

For example, I had "Miku Abeno" under "Miku Abu" and also "Miku Abe*" (yes, with the asterisk).

So I merged them all, two at a time, and now have them all under Miku Abeno, as they should be.

The conclusion being, that turning on "auto synchronize" will *not* automatically collate the same actress appearing under different aliases, and this still must be done manually ("manual cleanup" lol).

ED. When using the "merge" function, Javluv will indeed merge two actress entries, and delete the deselected entry. However, Javluv needs to be closed and restarted for the merging to be completed and saved.
I tend to keep a second instance of Javluv open, to compare secondary data instances, i.e. movies and actresses simutaneously.
If merging actress profiles, and another instance of Javluv is open, the merge action will not be saved unless the instance of Javluv that did the merging action is the last one to be closed.

Last edited:

Moxy

JAV Archiever
Dec 22, 2009
Finally added Actress data for my first page. Its working perfect and saving now.

Screenshot 2022-12-14 185309.jpg

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Found something else. I recently added BBAN-402, 403 and 405 so I used the recently added feature and they all appear at the bottom which seems counter intuitive to me. This is version 1.1.14

View attachment 3118046

Well... that's interesting. Those are definitely supposed to be sorted first. Not sure what's going on there. Will give some though as to how that could happen.

Don't know if this is an Easter egg or what but it showed up completely coincidentally today and I got a kick out of it.

"Birthday cake icon"!

Heh, yeah, added this on a whim. Wanted to do something fun with the girls' birthdays. Not sure if no one else noticed yet or just didn't say anything. Anyhow, try "sort by birthday", and you can see current birthdays much easier. It sorts by month and day, but not year.

Just an update on utilizing the "merge actress" and/or "auto synchronize" features.

It turns out I had already turned on the auto synchronize feature, so that action had already taken place in my collection. The result was, I still had multiple entries for actresses, under different aliases.

For example, I had "Miku Abeno" under "Miku Abu" and also "Miku Abe*" (yes, with the asterisk).

So I merged them all, two at a time, and now have them all under Miku Abeno, as they should be.

The conclusion being, that turning on "auto synchronize" will *not* automatically collate the same actress appearing under different aliases, and this still must be done manually ("manual cleanup" lol).

ED. When using the "merge" function, Javluv will indeed merge two actress entries, and delete the deselected entry. However, Javluv needs to be closed and restarted for the merging to be completed and saved.
I tend to keep a second instance of Javluv open, to compare secondary data instances, i.e. movies and actresses simutaneously.
If merging actress profiles, and another instance of Javluv is open, the merge action will not be saved unless the instance of Javluv that did the merging action is the last one to be closed.

Ah, a little confusion there. So what the "auto synchronize" will do is ensure the metadata is synced up to the primary actress name - that's it. Now, due to the change in how things are displayed in movie details, this is a bit more hidden of an effect than it used to be. That's because even if an alt name is in the metadata, as long as the alt name is in your actress data, it still displays the primary name (technically, you might consider this a bug, I suppose, since it was unintentional at the time). But it's still the alt name - you'll see that in the meta data if you edit the actresses. If you "auto syncronize", it will actually CHANGE the alt name in the metadata to the primary name automatically.

However, if you have multiple actress entries, JavLuv doesn't know they're the same actress. So you still need to merge them. After that, though, with auto-sync on, it will change the metadata. If off, the metadata will still contain the old name, even if it displays the primary name when not in editing mode. Sort of confusing, I know. But essentially, if you're always interested in seeing an actress' current name rather than any past aliases, I'd recommend turning auto-sync on.

One other thing that's a bit concerning... I'd highly recommend against running multiple copies of JavLuv at once, something I didn't even think about. That's very likely to cause data loss if the order you shut things down isn't the opposite of the startup order. Changes made in one copy aren't necessarily saved immediately. The only guaranteed save is at shutdown. So if you make a change in instance A and shut down, which saves the data, then shut down instance B, it will clobber the changes made by instance A.

Now I'm thinking I should block users from running multiple instances simultaneously, but it seems sort of mean to do that now, since you apparently find it useful to do that. Data loss is a serious bug, though, so... um... let me think about how to deal with that. Opinions about this are welcome, of course.

Finally added Actress data for my first page. Its working perfect and saving now.

View attachment 3118074
Just an FYI, Ema Kisaki has a picture of Ayu Sakurai for some reason.

Reactions: weppin and Moxy

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
Now I'm thinking I should block users from running multiple instances simultaneously, but it seems sort of mean to do that now, since you apparently find it useful to do that. Data loss is a serious bug, though, so... um... let me think about how to deal with that. Opinions about this are welcome, of course.
I agree about the data loss problem. It only took me a few times to realize what was happening, though, but still.

I think a solution (and I would heartily welcome such a customization) would be "tabbed browsing".

That is to say, I would like to be able to add, in real time and at my discretion, additional tabs at the top, next to "movies" and "actress". So, I could have three or four "movie" tabs open, each with a separate search string operating. And, I could also have several "actress" tabs open, each with a separate actress, with her movies sorted as I choose, per page.

I would make great use of such a feature, when browsing, sorting, or viewing movies.

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
I agree about the data loss problem. It only took me a few times to realize what was happening, though, but still.

I think a solution (and I would heartily welcome such a customization) would be "tabbed browsing".

That is to say, I would like to be able to add, in real time and at my discretion, additional tabs at the top, next to "movies" and "actress". So, I could have three or four "movie" tabs open, each with a separate search string operating. And, I could also have several "actress" tabs open, each with a separate actress, with her movies sorted as I choose, per page.

I would make great use of such a feature, when browsing, sorting, or viewing movies.

I like the concept, but at a practical level, this would require a pretty major rewrite of a lot of the program's logic, not to mention re-thinking general UI navigation and functionality almost from the ground up.

Well, I'll keep thinking about this issue. Hopefully there's some straightforward solution I haven't thought of yet.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
I like the concept, but at a practical level, this would require a pretty major rewrite of a lot of the program's logic, not to mention re-thinking general UI navigation and functionality almost from the ground up.

Well, I'll keep thinking about this issue. Hopefully there's some straightforward solution I haven't thought of yet.
Perhaps you could create a little script, accessible thru a button or drop down menu, that would open up a second (third, fourth, etc) instance of Javluv? And then instruct Javluv upon closing, to close any and all instances in the reverse order thgat they were opened?

eduardoxxx

Jun 30, 2008
After a lot of research, so that the movies were in the best possible quality, I have my complete collection, and thanks to this excellent program it is beautifully organized.

Thank youHichan.jpg

• Love

TmpGuy

Jun 1, 2013
Perhaps you could create a little script, accessible thru a button or drop down menu, that would open up a second (third, fourth, etc) instance of Javluv? And then instruct Javluv upon closing, to close any and all instances in the reverse order thgat they were opened?

The problem is that, with multiple instances, even closing in reverse order isn't a guarantee for preventing data loss, because saving can happen occasionally as well. It's just *guaranteed* to happen at shutdown.

I'm actually leaning towards a new option in Settings that, by default, would block additional instances from starting (safety first approach), but if you turn it on, allows you to start up subsequent instances in JavLuv in a "read only" mode, which would block it from saving any changes. What would you think about that?

After a lot of research, so that the movies were in the best possible quality, I have my complete collection, and thanks to this excellent program it is beautifully organized.

Thank you

You're quite welcome. Glad it's been of use.

weppin

Sep 11, 2008
The problem is that, with multiple instances, even closing in reverse order isn't a guarantee for preventing data loss, because saving can happen occasionally as well. It's just *guaranteed* to happen at shutdown.

I'm actually leaning towards a new option in Settings that, by default, would block additional instances from starting (safety first approach), but if you turn it on, allows you to start up subsequent instances in JavLuv in a "read only" mode, which would block it from saving any changes. What would you think about that?
That sounds like it would work. A user-selectable setting allowing multiple instances, instead of simply forbidden it outright. And making additional instances read-only would prevent the data loss that I did actually experience. So, yes, all around.

Reactions: TmpGuy